Music Recommendation!!! Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin
Aug 23, 2010 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox

I won't make this a long review, so I will keep it short.

If you are a fan of Brian Wilson....buy this now!

If you are a fan of the Beach Boys....buy this now!!

If you are a fan of George & Ira Gershwin....buy this now!!!

If you are a fan of all of the above...BUY THIS NOW!!!!

To me this album is a marriage of SMiLE with Gershwin songs. While it has a Beach Boys flavor, the sound reminds me much more of the more personal Brian Wilson album "SMiLE". The songs do have a new breath of life among them and the two new songs by Wilson & Gershwin are a real treat.

I know some critics aren't being kind to this new release but I feel that in the future, this album will be one of the most memorable of Brian Wilson's solo career. I won't spoil the fun by posting clips or by going into the entire album in detail but I will say this:

This album is one of the best albums I have heard in all of 2010 thus far. Now...go buy it! It's only $12.00 at Wal-Mart!!

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 9
Is nobody excited about this album?

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Yes, thanks, I saw this album and was wondering about it.  I like Gershwin and I like Brian Wilson (Beach Boys).  I also like well recorded music.  Looking at what recordings you use in your reviews I know you have a good ear.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank-you. I saw it on Amazon and almost pulled the trigger. I will do so now.

I was wondering if you had any knowledge or interest in binaural beats?
In case you do not know; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

It owkrs with HPs and I have a couple of CDs from sources that promote this for left/right brain hemisphere synching. I find it exhusting after a while of listening to it but it is difficult for me to find time that is quiet enough to really sink into it (you are supposed to be very relaxed and "zen-like" for the effects to have benefit. Who knows...anyway, saw your blog and thought I would mention this to you.

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Agreed fatcat, I can't think of a worse album I've ever heard off hand. I'm sure it's well recorded and all that, but wow that voice does not work for this music at all, IMO. Nails on a chalkboard, this one.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Nails on a chalkboard, this one.

Way too strong a criticism IMHO but then again, different strokes....

I've been enjoying it for quite some time.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Way too strong a criticism IMHO but then again, different strokes....

I've been enjoying it for quite some time.
biggrin.gif

Normally I'd say you are right in criticizing my reaction, but when I get a physical cringe trying to listen to music I really lay it all out there.

That said, I'll try (almost) anything, once! Thanks for posting it.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Normally I'd say you are right in criticizing my reaction, but when I get a physical cringe trying to listen to music I really lay it all out there.

That said, I'll try (almost) anything, once! Thanks for posting it.

Might be the crappy compression of the amazon samples.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back