Music Phones for home use
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shima

New Head-Fier
I've been reading heaps of posts and am a little confused about where to invest.
I listen to a broad range of music: hip hop, blues, rock, jazz, reggae, electronic, acoustic etc... I'm leaning toward closed phones or atleast those that don't leak too much so that i can sit in the same room as my partner and listen to music while she watches TV. In this case I would plug them into our NAD receiver. I'd also like to be able to plug them straight into my PC so those demanding heavy amplification may not be ideal.

I want something transparent and honest to slightly warm sounding. I'd also like to be able to enjoy bass notes clearly but with some punch. I find our hi fi to really shine in some areas including jazz and acoustics but to miss a little punch in hip hop, electronica unless i give it some volume (but we have neighbours).

Comfort is also a factor. I have some cheap sennheisers at the moment and they hurt.

I'm thinking about:
Sennheiser HD555 or HD 600, Beyer DT770's, Audio Technica A900's based on some reviews and posts here but am very open to other ideas.

Budget is about AU$450 / US$400
Thanks in advance

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 5
You could make a standard choice like the DT-770 or A900, though your budget could also extend up to snazzier options like a Denon D2000 or Audio Technica W1000. From all reports, the Beyers and the Denon will be the bassier options from either of these two pairings.

But in my opinion there is no justification for buying such good headphones as these last two and then plugging then straight into a pc. Would you buy $2000 speakers and then plug then straight into a boom box? It's not just an amplification question (these are relatively easy headphones to drive), a PC is just a noisy source with a weak to mediocre DAC, depending on soundcard.

You're in australia, right? You could remedy this PC issue and stay local with a Hippohifi Bloat. You'll probably find you like it better than your NAD as a headphone amp.

Dec 11, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 5
okay thanks, checked out the hippo.
It sounds like the business. I imagine only 20% of my usage would be PC at the moment but maybe this would increase if it sounds as good as you say. Don't know much about the Denon so will check that out next. any other contenders?
cheers

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 5
I want to hear the bass that is present in my music but not at the expense of mids and don't want an aggressive sound.
I'm actually leaning toward the Audio Technica AD900 phones atm. Am told that leakage isn't dramatic enough to cause probs unless at high volume. I like the idea of open phones if this is the case to allow greater sound stage presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back