Music Library, Harddrive
Nov 29, 2008 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ruel

Head-Fier
Alright questions galore from this one:

For those of you familiar with or using OS X and iTunes this question is for you.

Recently my music library has began to grow at a staggeringly quick pace as I import my CD collection in ALAC, and extend my listening to more and more artists and genres. My iPod has long retired as a source through which I can keep all my music. There is just not enough space space on what I have right now.

My free hard drive space is quickly diminishing as well so I have invested in a 1TB external hard drive.

I would like to:
  • Make a complete back-up of my drive using Time Machine or another back up utility
  • Minimize disk space used by music in iTunes by only maintaining a limited library on my main hard disk. Meanwhile keeping my comprehensive library on the external disk.
  • Be able to flexibly and seamlessly change which songs are on my main disk
  • Point my iPod to only the songs on my main disk
  • Point my iTunes library to the main disk, and external disk as well. So that when connected to the external drive I have my whole library available to me.
  • Avoid constant manual file moving or copying and avoid unneeded duplication.

I don't think that is really clear but its and effort,

Thanks,
Ruel
dt880smile.png

Edited in an attempt to make a more clear message.

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 7
You can backup your laptops harddisk (including the music) to the external one using Time Machine.
The rest of your question I simply don't understand. Try using punctuations to split up the long sentence (60 words) into multiple sentences, and maybe rewrite to make it more clear.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Well done, its much clearer now.
A way to do it is to have two separate iTunes Libraries. One for the internal drive, and one for the external drive.

Uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Music folder organized". Then organize the music yourself, on the internal and external drive.
Here is how to create two iTunes Libraries:
1. Quit iTunes.
2. Click and hold the "Options" button, then launch iTunes.
3. Select "Create Library", and give it a name (ex. External Library).
4. Drag and drop music from the external drive to iTunes.
5. Use the "iTunes" library as the internal one, or repeat the steps above to create a new one.

Switch libraries using "Options" -> launch iTunes.
Or simply check out Libra

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 7
krmathis:

I have been wondering how to do this for a while, thanks! Too bad it took me this long to find this old thread.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done, its much clearer now.
A way to do it is to have two separate iTunes Libraries. One for the internal drive, and one for the external drive.

Uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Music folder organized". Then organize the music yourself, on the internal and external drive.
Here is how to create two iTunes Libraries:
1. Quit iTunes.
2. Click and hold the "Options" button, then launch iTunes.
3. Select "Create Library", and give it a name (ex. External Library).
4. Drag and drop music from the external drive to iTunes.
5. Use the "iTunes" library as the internal one, or repeat the steps above to create a new one.

Switch libraries using "Options" -> launch iTunes.
Or simply check out Libra

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
krmathis:

I have been wondering how to do this for a while, thanks! Too bad it took me this long to find this old thread.
tongue_smile.gif

Better late than never!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back