Music Is Dead: iPods and Young People Have Utterly Destroyed Music
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 93
I hate mp3's that have that tinny digital distortion in them that's really apparent with cymbal hits. I can't even listen to mp3's like that anymore. Listening to them makes me think of what it would be like to run your teeth over a cheese grater...
eek.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimitedx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music Is Dead: iPods and Young People Have Utterly Destroyed Music

you're officially the 100000th person to post this

A++++++++++++++ POST

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8xOverMsOctober /img/forum/go_quote.gif
makes me think of what it would be like to run your teeth over a cheese grater...
eek.gif

bite a fork, or cut your hand on a microplane, either is more painful

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 93
Well, the article exaggerates a lot of things imo. I mean, ipods did not ruin it at all. There is an option to put uncompressed music on an ipod. People just choose not too. And the itunes store, well I wish they sold lossless, but they would take up so much server space for them. I mean, i am obviously not one of the people who prefer mp3 at all, but most people do not notice to the quality of sound.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the article exaggerates a lot of things imo. I mean, ipods did not ruin it at all. There is an option to put uncompressed music on an ipod. People just choose not too. And the itunes store, well I wish they sold lossless, but they would take up so much server space for them. I mean, i am obviously not one of the people who prefer mp3 at all, but most people do not notice to the quality of sound.

because for most people details aren't important, they just want the "trendy look", or something like that

I've yet to own an Apple product, quite happy with my Sony DAP and WMA/mp3 files, guess I'm contributing to the problem?

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 93
I would almost agree if people use the factory default of older versions of iTunes to rip Compact Discs and still use the stock Apple earbuds.

But since we on Head-Fi are quite a bit more serious in appreciation of music, we tend to rip music using iTunes or other CD ripping programs at higher bit rates (I use 192 kbps or 256 kbps VBR data rate AAC in iTunes depending on the album I "rip") and use high-quality third-party in-ear monitor (IEM) headphones to listen to the music from the portable music player. As such, the sound quality is excellent, far better than what the article describes.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 93
WAV ftw!

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 93
The truth, as usual, is elsewhere. The problem's in lack of detail in source CD audio, and CD audio sounding harsher (in high frequencies especially) than MP3 files. Here's a little note on that:

The MP3 Paradox

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 93
Its the American way!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 93
This is a generation where doing stupid things makes you popular, and people are impressed by you.

So no real surprise to me.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 93
I certainly agree that 99% of mainstream music now is crap, but occasionally you get bands that care about quality that are popular. Music has definitely another kind of mass-consumption with many people but I would blame more what the companies are putting in kids hands. I can stand nothing more then when I hear kids say "Yeah I'm into metal;I love Slipknot, Disturbed and Metallica". This is what they are exposed to.

The indie scene is full of great artists that f-ing rock. There quite a few bands I have gone to see that live out of a van, play basements, and melt my face off when I watch.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a generation where doing stupid things makes you popular, and people are impressed by you.

So no real surprise to me.

that is so harsh, and so brutally honest at the same time
triportsad.gif
tongue_smile.gif

think about it though, knowledge has been taken from the elite and given to everyone, so all thats left is stupid
tongue.gif

Idiocracy in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back