Music Is Dead: iPods and Young People Have Utterly Destroyed Music
Mar 13, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #16 of 93
Anyone who can hear a difference between 192kbps AAC file and a lossless file is a liar.

Anyone who cares is a wannabe elitist snob.

I love my iPod, it sounds great.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who can hear a difference between 192kbps AAC file and a lossless file is a liar.

I understand your first and third points, don't understand your second point
confused.gif

you're saying if anyone cares about the bitrate at all? or anyone who cares about being able to hear the difference?

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #18 of 93
Basically, yes, theoretically, you could hear the difference between a 192kbps AAC file and a lossless format if you had really nice equipment, and were listening to long drawn out high frequency noises, like cymbals or something... MAYBE. But even then, you'd have to be in a really quiet environment, and actually be listening FOR it. Basically, when you start listening FOR problems, instead of enjoying music, you're being an elitest snob. 192kpbs AAC files sound fantastic.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #20 of 93
The music industry destroyed music, talent takes a back seat to looks anymore, music nowadays is manufactured like some kind of tofu candy bar. No one in Hollywood or the music industry has character any more. Who cares if the latest idol winner is encoded in lossless or 128 mp3?

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #22 of 93
What's missing in this study is what equipment are these people listening to the file formats on? I might prefer a brighter, leaner sounding MP3 coming out of a pair of industrial-strength university brand SoundDesign dead-weight headphones. When you do a "study" you need to consider variables like that, Doc.

Professor who suggests the digitising process leaves music with a 'sizzle' or a metallic sound.

I'm sorry, but even 128kbs mp3 don't really have a 'sizzle" or "metallic" sound. Apple earbuds do.
wink.gif
The worse artifacts for me is the "warble" which I believe is referred to by encoding folks as "pre-echo" -- even though there have been big improvement that at even the highest encoding level. I can't find the facts of his study on the web, but I'm curious about his methodology behind this study.

"Some people prefer that needle noise, the noise of little dust particles that create noise in the grooves, I think there's a sense of warmth and comfort in that," the Professor told The Times.

Dude, I grew up listening to records and I think we all went to great lengths to AVOID that sound.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can stand nothing more then when I hear kids say "Yeah I'm into metal;I love Slipknot, Disturbed and Metallica". This is what they are exposed to.

So, in what music genre would you put Slipnot, Disturbed and Metallica? "Bands-not-worthy-of-the-label-metal"?

I can stand nothing more than 'my preference>your preference' attitudes that seem to permeate popular opinion. Oh, those plebs, how they wallow in muck through ignorance. Hear my voice of ultimate supremacy and be worthy of my judement!

rolleyes.gif

EK

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #24 of 93
Ipods is not a problem since we can choose or not to use them.
The real problem is overprocessed crappy resorded and mastered audio coming out nowadays, it's really sucks and we have NO choice here..

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #25 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The music industry destroyed music, talent takes a back seat to looks anymore, music nowadays is manufactured like some kind of tofu candy bar. No one in Hollywood or the music industry has character any more. Who cares if the latest idol winner is encoded in lossless or 128 mp3?

I think part of it is the producers trying to get the source to sound as loud/hot as possible, all the time. I'm sure you guys have seen the waveforms of older CDs that had loud sections and quieter sections... but today's CDs are so over produced everything sounds loud as hell, it's all at "eleven".

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #26 of 93
Mar 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #27 of 93
Mar 13, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, guess I am liar then...
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Screw it. Time to listen to some mainstream Norwegian music in lossless in the lovely Marit Larsen. I'm sure you know about her krmathis
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah! She is definitely worth some listening time...

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #29 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thou speaketh much truth sir!

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because for most people details aren't important, they just want the "trendy look", or something like that

I've yet to own an Apple product, quite happy with my Sony DAP and WMA/mp3 files, guess I'm contributing to the problem?

No, not at all. I am just saying it is not the ipod's fault, it is most peoples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back