Music Hall MMF CD-25 in Chicagoland
Sep 21, 2002 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dariusf

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking in to auditioning the Music Hall MMF CD-25 for my possible new source. Anyone knows of any stores in Chicagoland area that carry it? Possibly in the west suburbs?

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dariusf
Hi, I'm looking in to auditioning the Music Hall MMF CD-25 for my possible new source. Anyone knows of any stores in Chicagoland area that carry it? Possibly in the west suburbs?

Thanks!

Darius,

I only know of Decibel Audio and they are in the city.Holm Audio in Woodridge,carries the line but I'm not sure if the stock them.

Sep 25, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked with holmaudio.com and they do have a unit on display. I can even demo at home. Will swing by this saturday only about 30min drive. I extended my list to include the Rega Planet 2000 and Arcam CD72 or 92 also Adcom GCD-750 has been recommended. Decisions, decisions
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 21
Those guys at Decibel are great, by the way. Just bring some CDs and they'll let you test out anything you want to. I like the store because it is the total opposite of most hi-end audio stores.

Sep 25, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 21
Hey Dariusf,

Please let us know what you think of the cd players you audition. You've got some great players to choose from and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Sep 26, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 21
Never heard an Adcom that I liked, in any equipment.

But Arcam and Rega are pretty nice. I am curious about the Music Hall CD player. If it is the same value as their turntables, you may have a winner.

I wanted a better cd player for my bedroom, but the music hall was out of budget range, so I got a Cambridge Audio D500SE, with 30 day trial and 15% discount ($364 or so) at Audio Advisor on the net.

Love my old Rega Planet.

Sep 26, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 21
As a few Chicago area head-fiers will attest to
wink.gif
,Music Direct is certainly a walk-in store.It is candy for the eyes and ears and must be seen to be fully enjoyed.

Sep 26, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
Those guys at Decibel are great, ~ I like the store because it is the total opposite of most hi-end audio stores.

I hope that by you saying "total opposite of most hi-end audio stores" you mean "actually wanting to help you out"? I stopped by couple of stores on Ogden (westside of chicago burbs) that I guess I will not mention the names. I go in, want to find out what CD players they have in, get on the list and wait. The sales people look at me like 'you can't afford the equipment we sell' I guess 28 is not old enough to play with the 'big' toys. I totally felt being blown off. They totally ignored me. I had my wife in the car and only a couple of minutes to check out what they got plus I really didn't feel like confronting someone that day. So I just left.

Sep 26, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dariusf
I hope that by you saying "total opposite of most hi-end audio stores" you mean "actually wanting to help you out"? I stopped by couple of stores on Ogden (westside of chicago burbs) that I guess I will not mention the names. I go in, want to find out what CD players they have in, get on the list and wait. The sales people look at me like 'you can't afford the equipment we sell' I guess 28 is not old enough to play with the 'big' toys. I totally felt being blown off. They totally ignored me. I had my wife in the car and only a couple of minutes to check out what they got plus I really didn't feel like confronting someone that day. So I just left.

I know which stores you are talking about.I'm sorry to hear that.You should come into the city one weekend and I'll take you to some shops where you will be treated right.Decibel is the very best but the hours are scarce.PM me and maybe we can hang out.

Sep 26, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 21
I meant that the people at Decibel actually want to help people make a purchasing choice. The type of people that walk in to the store are not the typical person you may think that buys high end audio equipment and they helped every one of them. If you want a very relaxed atmosphere then this is the place to audition some equipment. No, the store isn't the newest and doesn't have independent listening rooms but if you're a typical joe like me that usually wears jeans and a t-shirt on the weekend then this is a place you will feel right at home in.

Sep 26, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 21
I'm going to reply to all of the posts soon, I have a production roll in a few hours and I have spent way too much time on forms like this in the past days
smily_headphones1.gif
Now its "extreme programming at its best"
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 21
decibel is a damn cool hifi shop... one of the guys almost convinced me to lay out the green for a modded Dynaco ST70... took all the willpower I could muster to resist the lure of glowing tubes...

Sep 27, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 21
So how about posting your impressions of the player? Compare it to other players, list associated equipment and test material. When is Jude going to finish his reviews anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back