Music Hall mmf-5 -pleasantly surprised
May 21, 2005 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tyrion

Can Jam '08 Lead Organizer
I picked up a used mmf-5 to bring me back into the vinyl fold. I have been pleasently surprised so far at the sound quality from this bargain, and I mean I got a deal on this baby. I've been slowly going through 80 albums I recently purchased and I am amazed at how good this tt is. I've owned a GR-1, Rega P3, VPI Scout with Scoutmaster upgrades and now the mmf-5. No, the mmf-5 is not on the same level as the Scout in either appearence, sq, or build quality. I do believe that the mmf-5 competes favorably with the P3. My P3 had a Clearaudio Aurum Beta S cart which sells for 2 or 3 times the price of the Goldring cart on the mmf. The Rega tt itself is more money than the mmf-5. However, I don't believe the cost is necessarily justified. I've not done a side by side comparison but if there is a difference between the tow tt's it is lost on me. I guess that makes me lucky as I get to spend less money. The Scout is an awesome tt and well worth the extra dollars. I think it conveys an even cleaner analog sound. I am not doing a review here just some general impressions as I am just so happy to be able drop the needle on vinyl once more.

May 21, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 5
The MMF as it comes is a smokin good deal. The Goldring cartridge is a bargain at its regular asking price. The table is a great performer for the money, even if it didn't come with the cartridge.

If you purchased one in good shape used then I'm sure you are way ahead of the game.

Congratulations!

May 21, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 5
I did and I am! Lets just say I paid a little bit more than the cart retails for. I like that it has the double plinth design for vibration control.

May 21, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 5
Glad to see you're enjoying your MMF-5, I've been loving mine for the past few months. I never did thank you Tyrion for helping me when I was searching for a turntable, so thanks.

I see your seeing the Alman Brothers. I saw them last september and they were great, you are going to love the show they put on.

May 22, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
Glad to see you're enjoying your MMF-5, I've been loving mine for the past few months. I never did thank you Tyrion for helping me when I was searching for a turntable, so thanks.

I see your seeing the Alman Brothers. I saw them last september and they were great, you are going to love the show they put on.

Your welcome. I guess I gave you good advice. I should have taken it myself sooner. The truth is I loved my Scout. I hope to have one again in the future. However, I wanted to pick up a end cdp since it would get more use.

I am looking forward to seeing the Allman's with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks. I saw them in the late 70's in Asbury Park with Dickey Betts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back