Music Hall Maverick: what makes it worth...
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

C38368

500+ Head-Fier
Looking at this player, I'm having a hard time figuring out just what makes the $1500 price tag justified, in the eyes of someone who owns no SACDs.

Near as I can tell, it's overpriced for someone like myself at $1500. But what about at $775?

I haven't had a chance to listen to one, but that price puts it in the same range as the Arcam CD73T and Rotel 1072, two players that are often mentioned here are being top-of-class at their price point.

So whatcha think? The most obvious difference I see is that the Maverick plays SACDs; does this do something not-good with plain boring CDs? Or something good? Now soliciting opinions...

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 2

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I had a short audition with this player at one of the meets, and I must say that I thought it pretty nice. It did a nice job with redbook CD's - clean, clear highs and mids, and had nice soundstage without sounding overly bright. I've not yet head the other two players you referenced, and my comments should be taken with the understanding that it was a short audition. That said, my impressions were good.

Users who are viewing this thread