Music Genres and the Head-fi Journey
Oct 17, 2005 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

n00b

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have a question..

I listen to hiphop, and I was just wondering if it's even worth it to upgrade past anything over $500.. Hiphop isn't like classical or indie rock or anything, since the music is mainly produced or sampled.. Would upgrading headphones be useless since I would hear static and other flaws of the music production?
It would be a shame (OMG HYPOTHETICALLY) to drop money on an Orpheus and find that even with the best rig it wasn't justifiable when listening to hiphop, and all it would do is manifest the flaws of the production.

End rambling question.

Oct 17, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 5
I would 2nd your observations

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 5
^ As in, you agree with them?

Nobody else has anything to say? I guess nobody listens to hip hop..
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
^ As in, you agree with them?

Nobody else has anything to say? I guess nobody listens to hip hop..
tongue.gif

I'd recommend you go ahead and get the Orpheus. It may not be justified given the limitations of hip hop, but your musical taste could change over time, and you will save the cost of an upgrade.
evil_smiley.gif

BW

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 5
like with album that wasn't sampled like:
Outkast - Stankonia (or anything Organised Konfusion produced)
Live The Roots recordings
Platinum Pied Pipers

it might be worth it, (especially with the live the roots recordings, which i listen to alot of), but i refuse to buy $100+ headphones until after im done with college or i strike it rich, for my wallets sake.

but for the likes of diddy or mf doom which is heavily sampled (wow those two in the same sentence!), i doubt it. rap is mostly a lyrical musical art, and i cant imagine expense headphones be too useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back