Music for jogging
Jul 4, 2005 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Shift

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some suggestions of good music for jogging. It doesn't have to be jogging themed at all. I guess it should have a beat/rhythm of some sort -- not too fast, not too slow -- just a speed that you can reasonably jog to. There are no other criteria since I don't want to accidentally filter out what may be good choices. I'm looking for something that would fill up about 30-40 mins (could be a bunch of individual songs, doesn't have to be an album). If you only have a song or two, put it down as well.

Edit: no rap please.

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 12
Survivor – Eye of the Tiger / Burning Heart
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 12
I've always enjoyed jogging to classic rock. AC/DC, Def Leppard, Van Halen, G'n'R, etc. I think its the intensity that i like, it gets my blood pumping. Try the Def Leppard greatest hits cd, its just about perfect for a 30 minute to an hour run.

MJ

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift
I'm looking for some suggestions of good music for jogging. ... If you only have a song or two, put it down as well.

Goody Two Shoes: Adam Ant
Life Is a Carnival: The Band
Nadine: Chuck Berry
500 Miles: BoDeans
I Feel Good: James Brown
Tuff Enuf: Fabulous Thunderbirds
Respect: Aretha Franklin
Only Happy When It Rains; Garbage
Beat It: MJ
The Bitch Is Back: Elton John
My Sharona: The Knack
Dance Hall: Modest Mouse
Middle Of The Road: Pretenders
Alcatraz: Leon Russell
Queen of The Roller Derby; Leon Russell
Born To Run: Bruce
Bodhisattva: Steely Dan
Rock Me Right: Susan Tedeschi
Guacamole: Texas Tornados
Gear Jammer: George Thorogood
My Generation: The Who
Master Blaster: Stevie Wonder
G-Spot Tornado: Frank Zappa

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 12
I listen to Brazil Classics 2: O Samba every other day on the flash player. Great rhythm and beat -- though I can't understand the Portugese. I prefer having something I don't have to think about too hard while I run. Rhythm, beat, and a genre of music that makes it seem a little tropical even when it's raining and miserable in Dublin.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...2:+O+Samba.htm

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 12
To me, music for running/cardio needs to have a steady beat. B/c your focus on it will inevitably vary greatly (as you contemplate the degree of pain your body is in etc.), so you have to have something that you can stay with without necessarily paying attention to it. But at the same time it can't be too repetitive or I tend to tune it out a bit and it doesn't help me out at all. So that's my criteria, yours may be different.

That said, my two favourite albums for this of all time are:

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead: Source Tags & Codes
Stereolab: Switched On (Vol. I, greenish cover)

The first is very intense at times, so it's great if you want to push yourself. But from what you said the second may suit you better. It's great, has a steady beat at roughly the same intensity the whole way through.

I've also been really enjoying Pretty Girls Make Graves 'The New Romance' a lot lately for this. And for techno that's not too repetitive, Underworld's singles collection can't be beat (especially aside from the first two tracks, which were the obligatory 'rarities').

I'll also add that recently getting an iPod (the tiny one) for exercise has opened up a whole new world to me. No more carting around CDs to the gym or holding a Discman while running. It allows me to just put albums, and individual tracks, on the 512 MB that are great for exercise. I find the right choice of tunes can really help in a lot ways.... Probably not news to anyone but me, who just stepped into the 90's. But I wasn't about to spend $400 just for exercise tunes, although knowing what I know now I may have....

Happy running.

Jul 5, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 12
Currently on my mp3 player I use only for the gym:

VNV Nation - FuturePerfect <-- awesome vocal electornic for running, the whole cd is
Atari Teenage Riot - first cd and No Remorse from the Spawn soundtrack.
Lords of Acid - LSD is a good track
KMFDM - D.I.Y. is great but a lot of other good tracks too
Prodigy - Fat of The Land is good
Underworld - Pearl's Girl is a great song

A lot more I am forgetting but it is in my car right now and I am too lazy to go get it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back