Music, Films, and books that MEAN something!
May 22, 2005 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

rodentmacbeastie

500+ Head-Fier
I am interested in finding and recognizing artist that are trying their best to help us. Lyrics that mean something, words worth reading and movies worth watching. Below is a starter list in which I have found great wisdom. No hate, Brittany Spears, "White Chicks"(I think that is what that crap was called), and no Stephen King! Unless of course you can explain how it has enlightened you. Post away, I need new material and it may show others that the stuff they have been using has merit outside of entertainment. I believe it was KRS One who called it Endutainment!

MUSIC:
BOB DYLAN
BOB MARLEY
DIRE STRAITS AND MARK KNOPFLER
PINK FLOYD AND ROGER WATERS
STING AND THE POLICE
NEIL YOUNG
RADIOHEAD
MASSIVE ATTACK
LED ZEPPELIN
TALKING HEADS AND DAVID BYRNE
THE PIXIES AND FRANK BLACK
THE SMITHS AND MORRISEY
THE SPECIALS
THE CLASH
THE THE
ELVIS COSTELLO
LEONARD COHEN
JOHNNY CASH

MOVIES:
THX 1138
AMERICAN SPLENDOR
AMELIE
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
PATHS OF GLORY
KIDS
THIRTEEN DAYS
THE MATRIX(1ST ONE, NOT THE GREEN MACHINES)
THE FOG OF WAR
BARAKA(A MUST SEE, BREATHTAKING!)
1984(SOME DO NOT READ)
BRAZIL

BOOKS:
BRAVE NEW WORLD
THE CELESTINE PROPHECY
THE COPORATION
FENCES AND WINDOWS
NO LOGO
THE LORD OF THE RINGS(look carefully at the characters)
A SHORT HISTORY OF PROGRESS
MEIN KAMPH(see how someones good intentions can manifest into the greatest tegedy in human history)

May 23, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 44
-----------this message IS FOR rodentmacbeastie ONLY and is irrilavent to this thread

I got my set a year ago at Sim Lim Square 3rd floor, the 1st shop you see when you go up by escalator, the Name of the shop is Han Brother.
So far my experience with this shop is pleasent.
The price I paid is S$690, which was quite reasonable since most US retailers sell it for about US$450.
I was told that this was a special price by Senn singapore for the first 10 sets, which I don't know whether is was true (and I don't care).

For latest update about price here, I suggest you to have a look at forums in www.sgheadphones.net.

rodentmacbeastie has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

you have disabled both your PM and email, thus I have no choice but to reply here.

May 23, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 44
I think a stand out movie for me is "Unforgiven". It does a briliant job of dispelling all the glamour of death and killing in all (western) movies. It is rarely mentioned, but I really think its one of the best movies I've ever seen. Everything is top notch, especially the dialogue.

Here's an example, this is right after the Schofield Kid has killed for the first time.

Bill Munny: Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
Bill Munny: We all got it comin', kid.

May 23, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 44
Movies that go on the top of my fav movies list:

Butterfly effect
Sixth sense
Matrix
Run lola run
and Monster (realistic anime series, still continuing, very good story)

I'll post some more when I can remember them
plainface.gif

May 23, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 44
my frist post here

now on to my list:

music

the doors- soft parade{opened my ears to what music can be}

linda perry- after hours{ i love chics with ruff voices and this lady can write to top it off}

joy division- closer{ i just love it}

the doors-la woman{ frist blues album i listen to and still one of the best in my book}

that all for know on music

movie

halloween- scared me ***less the one true scary movie

blade runner- i belive this to be the future for us with all this reality tv crap

i cant think anymore tonite its late tbc

May 23, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 44
Any book of José Saramago.

May 23, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 44
Beethoven's Ninth Symphony

May 23, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 44
Roger Waters - The Wall (Live in Berlin)

How very , very apt.

May 23, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
MEIN KAMPH(see how someones good intentions can manifest into the greatest tegedy in human history)

ugh?
i can see from your list that you like dystopias - but even if one could set aside history and imagine for a minute a parallel universe where hitler was only a trashy sci-fi author (norman spinrad plays with that idea in 'the iron dream') i find it hard to believe that you really find good intentions in "mein kampf".
believe me, not one of his intentions was "well-meant", let alone "good" - and it manifested just as it was planned.

on a lighter note, there are other dystopias in the vein of 1984 and brave new world that i can recommend:
ira levin's 'this perfect day' and philip k. dick's 'the man in the high castle'. the latter is set in the same universe as 'blade runner' ('do androids dream of electric sheep?'), where the nazis and japan have won wwII.

May 23, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 44
THE LORD OF THE RINGS(look carefully at the characters)

Just curiou, can someone explain this to me in a little more detail?

Because I discovered Dungeons and Dragons before I did Lord of the Rings, I believe I have been blinded towards seeing what you mean
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 44
Some people think LOTR is allegory. The books were written in the 1950s, so to some people the ring represents nuclear power, maybe the Hobbits, Rohirrim, etc represent the free world while Mordor represents the USSR, etc.

May 23, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 44
Not too many of the music groups I listen to put out "meaningful" stuff, hard to find that kind of thing in electronica/trip-hop. I guess you could add Orbital if only for their Snivilisation CD, and maybe the Green Album.

Movies:
- Forrest Gump
- Gattaca
- Glory
- Saving Private Ryan
- Schindler's List
- The Thin Red Line
- War of the Worlds (1953) (it could be said to be an allegory of the times)

May 23, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 44
i prefer music, literature, art that doesn't scream "I HAVE MEANING!" i find books such as those by Richard Bach to be trite pap that's far less deep than they make themselves out to be. pop philosophy, spirituality and "wisdom" is generally worthless.

"meaning" must be dug for, and when it's finally unearthed, it should be a personal treasure for which the search bears the significance, and the end is simply a trophy of the journey just completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back