Music City Meet, Volume 5 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2016 (April 9, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2016 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 348

Theogenes

Headphoneus Supremus
Welcome to the Fifth Edition of the Music City Meet of Spring 2016!! 
 ​
This is the Official Thread for the fourth and latest incarnation of Music City Meet in (or around) Nashville, TN-- welcome!!

The Basics:
  1. The event will be held on April 9th, 2016 
  2. The venue is the Looby Park Community Center (2301 Rosa L Parks Blvd, Nashville, TN 37228)
  3. The hours are 11am until 5pm
  4. The pre-meet festivities will be on April 8th at 5:30pm at Cool Springs Brewery 

To get an idea of what to expect, please feel free to check out the threads from our previous meets:

Music City Meet Official Thread - Spring 2014
Music City Meet Pictures & Impressions Thread - Spring 2014
Music City Meet - Fall 2014
Music City Meet Pictures & Impressions Thread - Fall 2014
Music City Meet - Spring 2015
Music City Meet - Spring 2015 - Pictures & Impressions Thread
Music City Meet - Fall 2015
Music City Meet - Fall 2015 - Pictures & Impressions Thread

Frequently/Never Asked Questions: 

Who Is Welcome?
Anybody!

How Much Does It Cost? 
Not a thing. Just show up, be friendly, and bring gear if you have some to share!

What Can I Bring? 
Besides a love of good music well reproduced and a friendly demeanor, you don't need to bring anything at all! If you have some personal audio gear that others might like to hear, though, we would love it if you'd bring yours down (as that's one of the key elements to making the meet great for everyone)! Let me know what you decide to bring by posting below. If something changes, no worries-- just post in the thread and I'll try to keep the gear lists updated so people have some idea what's going to be present to check out.

I Don't Have Any Cool Headphone Gear, Can I Bring/Do Something Else to Help Out?
Sure! We can always use extension cables and power strips, and the more the better-- we won't know exactly how many outlets we're working with until we get the venue locked down, but as always, we really can't have enough of both! We ended up lining tables along the walls last time and had few enough attendees for it to work with the strips and extensions we had, but if we have a significant increase in attendees this time, we'll definitely need more. Basically, if you have 'em, bring 'em!! :) Also, if there are any shutterbugs among the group (like Eric was previously) who are kind enough to bring along cameras and share their pictures with everyone, that would be greatly appreciated!! Because if there's anything that's almost as great as awesome headphones, it's awesome headphone pictures-- a fact which has been scientifically proven for decades. Don't look it up, just trust me here.

One other thing we're going to do differently this time: I'd like to have someone staffing the check-in table for the entirety of the meet to help people get situated, etc, so if you want to volunteer to help out at the door, please let me know below! I won't have anybody at the door for more than an hour, and depending on how many people we have helping, I'd like to keep it closer to 30 minutes or so per volunteer. Duties involve basically sitting at the table at the door, having people sign in, and helping people either get comfortably situated somewhere in the room; going over some brief procedural notes with everybody to make sure everyone's gear is treated well; and generally being a warm and inviting presence for all our friends and attendees!

What About the Eats??
Unfortunately, we won't be able to provide snacks or food for everyone. (Although I do have to give Dan Clark a huge shout-out for getting a truckload of pizzas for everyone last two times... That may have saved my life.) Generally, it seems wise to grab a bite to eat before coming to the meet, and then give yourself a break at some point to duck out and grab something through the meet itself. Just make sure you thoroughly scrub those mitts if you get sticky ribs for lunch :wink:

Are There Any Additional Festivities? 
Now that we're onto our fifth of these suckers, I think we can reasonably start using words like "tradition." And it's become a tradition to have a meet up for drinks and dinner the night before the meet (April 8th) at Cool Springs Brewery (600A Frazier Drive No.135, Franklin, TN 37067 USA) at 5:30pm. Additionally, after the last meet, a few of us went out for steaks and beers, and given that there won't be SEC football going on during the meet (or ever again... that was massively unwise on my part, given my rapid devolution into my most troglodytic self when UT is playing Florida, as they were during the last meet), we might be able to more effectively plan out something fun to do that doesn't include me moping around after another nonsensical #$%^ loss to the Gators... I should probably stop now. :s

Will There Be Any Vendors There? 
You betcha! I'm going to reach out to a few, including several that wanted to attend the earlier meets but weren't able to for various reasons. We've had some pretty great companies show up in the past (see the previous Impressions threads), so I'd guess we stand a great chance of seeing some more this time too. As I get vendors on board, I'll post the updates here, so stay tuned!!

What Awesome Gear Will Be Present For Me to Check Out?
That depends on what awesome gear you bring! I'll keep a running tally of who's bringing what in the second post, so if you are just dying to hear the new KochleaKrusher 4000, you can see if someone plans on bringing one down to share. I can say that each time we have had some pretty stellar gear available (see the links from the Impressions threads above), and I think everybody got to hear a lot of stuff that was new and interesting to them. Just don't bring your next mortgage payment with you when you come-- you might be draining local ATMs and buying stuff before you know what happened. Which would be Sad Mac. Except for the person selling the stuff, I 'spose. 

Do I Need to Let You Guys Know I'm Coming?
Technically, no-- you can just show up! However, I'd like to have an idea of how many people are coming, and what gear they're bringing, so that I can make sure I keep the logistics of this sucker under control. Should we have too many people show up and not enough chairs, for example, we might have packs of stiff-legged audiophiles roaming the hapless streets of the city... which would definitely be bad news bears.

So When Is This Whole Soiree Going to Be Happening? 
We've generally gone with a 10am through 7pm schedule, but it seems like people are generally ready to go around 6pm, so I'm toying with the idea of making it 10-6 instead. We may have other options or restrictions based on where we end up landing for the meet itself as well, but a 10-6ish look is what I'm going for at the moment. Lemme know your thoughts on this one!

Other Thoughts:

Gear to Sell: If you have some gear you'd like to sell and plan on bringing, let me know and I'll make a note that it's for sale in the gear listings. This seems to be popular in some of the big meets in the Northeast I've read up on, and I don't see why we couldn't do the same thing. Plus, if Jay attends, there's a distinct possibility he would buy every single headphone in attendance and resell them before leaving, and that's a spectacle I couldn't possibly bear missing. (Hugs, Jay!! 
biggrin.gif
)

IEM Section: I'm thinking it would be interesting to have a separate table or area for IEMs and portable equipment in general. After speaking with a fella from the former Aurisonics (now Fender IEM) before an earlier meet, I picked up a bunch of alcohol wipes that can be used to generally clean/sterilize IEM tips. There weren't a lot of people who tried IEMs other than the Aurisonics stuff that was there (which were excellent, btw), but I'll have the wipes here again. Pro Tip: if you plan on listening to a particular set of IEMs somebody mentions bringing, it would be wise to order a set of tips for that IEM in your size prior to the meet, so you can listen to it precisely as you'd hear it with your own two ear-holes-- and you get the bonus of avoiding sharing ear-related heebie jeebies with somebody!! Win-Win FTW!!

Vendors to Invite: I'm already planning on reaching out to the guys who were kind enough to attend our previous meets and a few others who haven't yet stopped by. Who would you like to see here? If you have any contacts or compromising photographs that could compel a manufacturer with great gear to attend, please let me know!

Your Thoughts/Ideas: After attending a grand total of seven headphone meets in my life (including the ones I set up), I'm willing to concede that there are probably a significant number of great ideas out there I haven't stumbled across yet. Got a great idea? Holla at me!! I'm sure we won't be able to do every awesome thing anyone thinks of, but I'm definitely very interested in making this as great an experience as humanly possible for everyone involved, so don't be bashful-- this is the internet, after all! I'm going to dig through a few other threads for good ideas too, and if I find anything brilliant I'll bring it back for the trial by groupthink.

Standard Demo Tracks: One thing I thought of after attending a previous meet was how nice it might be if there was a standard album (or track list) of 10-20 songs that were loaded in the same format, bitrate, etc on each setup at the meet. This might make it easier to compare multiple setups, but it also might be a pain in the mule. Whaddya think, is this worth doing? And if so, what tracks should we shoot for having everyone use? (No flame wars here, please-- no matter how much you feel the need to convince everyone that Bieber really is the Mozart of our generation).

UPDATE: Okay, so we've decided on The Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc from Chesky Records. You used to be able to get 20% off by using the code UHDD20 as a Head-Fi member, but I don't know if that code still works. You aren't required to get this, by any means-- it's just an attempt to make your comparative experience more valuable by providing a common ground for many of us to use when evaluating different gear. Also, you're a dork if you don't get it. (Just kidding. Dorkiness seems to come for free with each download on this one...)

Signature Line Advertising: Since few people seem to come to the meet threads, it would be great if those who know about the meet could get the word out to others who might be interested in attending. Besides the normal methods of doing so (posting in boards, sending PMs to members in the area, showing up unannounced at the homes of various members), a few of us did links in our signature lines to let people know about the last one. A few examples might be:

1. See You in NASHVILLE at the Music City Meet on April 9th!
  2. Putting the MUSIC back in Music City, USA -- Meetup this April 9th!
  3. Music City Meet - Nashville - April 9th
  4. The Grand Ol' Swap-ry -- Nashville Meet - April 9th

Feel free to copy any of these and put 'em in your signature line-- we don't want anybody who would enjoy this to miss it, and you might help somebody find out about it!

Closing Thoughts: 
I can honestly say I've learned more about my own tastes in gear and how I wanted to set up my system from meets than all the reading I've done on the internet-- and that's a lot of reading on the internet. If you've never been to a meet before, GO TO A MEET!! We'd love to have you at ours, but even if you can't come to this one, getting to any meet would definitely be worth your time. And if you're an old hat at these meets by now, why, where have you been while Nashville has needed a meet all these years?? Why am I stuck doing this??? 
wink.gif

Seriously, these meets succeed or fail based on the quality of the people and the gear that show up. I genuinely look forward to seeing the guys from the last meet and meeting some new people at this one!! SEE YOU IN NASHVILLE!!!!

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 348
Tentative Attendees & Gear: 
An parenthetical asterisk, like (*), indicates that the piece is also for sale. Yay!
Also, see the Vendors list below for even more great gear that will be making the trip to NashVegas!!

Theogenes

Headphones
Hifiman HE-6 (modded)
Beyerdynamic T5p (balanced mod)
Beyerdynamic T1
Mr Speakers Alpha Dog
Ultrasone Signature Pro
Aurisonics ASG-2
Etymotic ER-4PT
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Sennheiser Amperior
Beyerdynamic T51i
Beyerdynamic T51p (60 ohm)
Grado GS1000 (original)
Stax SR-003MK2
Audeze LCD-XC
Music City Meet Custom Grado (a sentimental favorite of mine)
Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors

Amplifiers
Audio-gd Master 8
First Watt F5 (Rawson clone)
Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II
iBasso D-Zero
Meier Audio PCSTEP
JDS Labs O2
Stax SRM-252S

Sources
Lynx Hilo
JDS Labs ODAC
Netbook (basically Civil War-era)
Dell Venue 11 Pro
iBasso DX50
iBasso DX90
Onkyo DP-X1

Pippen99:

Headphones
Audeze LCD-X (Norne Draug v2 cable)
Mr Speakers ETHER (Norne Zoetic Cable)

Amplifiers
Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon
Woo Audio WA5
Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold

Sources
Auralic Vega
Auralic Aries Mini

rmoody:

Headphones
Mr Speakers Ether C
Shure SRH1540
Shure SE535 
Shure E3c

Amplifiers
Schiit Mjolnir 2 (LISTT, stock and some Tesla ECC88s)

Sources

Schiit Gungnir (not multibit)
Schiit Wyrd
Old laptop running Ubuntu and Windows 10 on with JRMC on both OS's.
iBasso DX90

JoeDoe:

Headphones
Grado GH1
Sony MDR-V6
SennGrado
Tralucent 1+2
Trinity Delta
Meze 99 (*)
HifiMAN HE-400S

Amplifiers
MAD Ear+ HD (*)
Chord Mojo
JDS Labs C421 (*)
Woo Audio WA7tp

Sources
Rega DAC (*)
Bladelius USB DAC (*)
Astell & Kern AK100ii
Chord Mojo
Audio-gd 15.32
Colorfly C3 (*)

Wildcatsare1:

Headphones
Sennheiser HD800
Audeze LCD-3F (with new carbon fiber headband)
Meze Classic 99
AKG K7XX 
Alclair RSM Quads
Alclair (audiophile CIEM, as yet unnamed)
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 

Amplifiers
Auralic Taurus Mk. 2
Airist Audio Heron 5
Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon
Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold/Glass (Pending Warren's Approval)
Apex Audio Glacier
IFi Audio Retro 50/LS3.5 Tabletop System

Sources
MONARCHY M22b
Grant Audio Tube DAC 11
UpTone Audio Regen

Skyline315:

Headphones
HifiMAN HE-500
Beyerdynamic DT1350

Amplifiers
Project Ember II

Sources
Schiit Bifrost 4490

RCBinTN:

Headphones
Audeze LCD-X (w/ carbon fiber headband and Wywires)
Sennheiser HD800 w/ Wywires
Shure SE846 

Amplifiers
Bryston BHA-1

Sources
Schiit Gungnir MB
Astell & Kern AK120ii
Oppo HA-2
Macbook Pro w/ JRiver21

Buke9:

Headphones
Mr Speakers Ether-C
Sennheiser HD-700 (modded)
Echobox Finder X1

Amplifiers
Cavalli Liquid Carbon

Sources
Questyle QP1R
Schiit Yggdrasil (tentative)

rtaylor76:

Headphones
VSONIC GR07 Classics
Sennheiser HD650
Fostex T20RP mk1 (modded)

Amplifiers
Objective O2

Sources
Fiio X3 II
Schiit Wyrd
Schiit Modi
Magnavox CDB-583
Denon DA-500

Kilkil

Headphones
Audio Technica W5000 with Brainwavz pads
AKG K550
AKG K501
AKG K7XX
AKG K701 (*)

Amplifiers
Dynahi (DIY designed by Kevin Gilmore)
Millett Hybrid, oversized PS (DIY designed by Pete Millett) (*)

Sources
NAD M51

Oteil:

Headphones:
Beyerdynamic T1
Audeze EL-8 Closed (new production model)
Beyerdynamic T51i
Denon D7000
Grado RS1i
Grado GS1000i

Amplifiers

Sources
Marantz HD-DAC1

Speedster2333

Headphones
HifiMAN HE-560 (Jerg mods)

Amplifiers
Cary HH-1 (with Tesla e88cc gold pin tubes)
Schiit Asgard 2

Sources
Schiit Bifrost Uber
Monolithic computer 

wje

Headphones
Hifiman HE-400S
Audeze LCD-2
Hifiman HE-500
Symphones V6 Drivers in Grado wooden cups

Amplifiers
Musical Fidelity V-Can (version 1)

Sources
Peachtree Audio Decco 65

Jazzfuze

Headphones
AKG K7XX 
Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBL
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro (250 ohms)
Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 700

Amplifiers
Little Dot MK III 
Schiit Magni

Sources
Schiit Modi 
iBasso DX50
Cayin C5

Jaywillin

Headphones
Alessandro MS2i
Grado RS2 (buttoned)
Custom Symphones Magnum V6

Amplifiers
Garage1217 Project Sunrise III

Sources
Teac US-301
Schiit Wyrd 

Tentative Vendors & Enthusiast Companies: 
These are the companies that have committed to supporting our meet! There may be others there as well, but these are the ones who have already gone on record as contributing to what we are doing, and we are very, very appreciative!!

Norne Audio: One of the best headphone cable companies on the planet, in my opinion-- not to mention one of the very first companies to actively support our meets from the very get-go. Gorgeous stuff, reasonable prices, excellent workmanship, and top-notch customer service. I haven't worked with every cable company on the planet, and can't recommend all of the ones I have worked with; but I would definitely recommend Trevor and his work to anyone looking for high quality cables. Check them out if you haven't already!

Woo Audio: Just to keep you on the absolute edge of your seat, Mike has agreed to support us once again-- but this time, he won't be releasing the two amps he is sending us until Jude does the announcement. Anybody else excited???

Cavalli Audio: A new supporter of the Music City Meet, Cavalli Audio has had a strong showing at previous meets anyway, being a favorite of attendees and vendors (particularly Dan at Mr Speakers). It looks like we'll be fortunate enough to get our grubby mitts on the new Liquid Spark, the first portable amp from the mad laboratories of Alex Cavalli and his minions. Having heard (and been particularly enamored of) the Liquid Crimson before, this should be an absolute treat

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 348
Checking in. Pumped would be an understatement!

This will be my third meet.  Getting better every time!

Amps:  Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Woo WA5, Cavalli Lau(Liquid Gold)

Sources:  Auralic Vega, Auralic Aries Mini(Tidal)

Headphones:  Audeze LCD-X(Norne Draug v2),  Mr Speakers ETHER(Norne Zoetic)

Just an hour ago I got confirmation that I would have the Lau demo for the time period of the meet.  Thanks to Warren and Dan(Stillhart)

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 348
Originally Posted by Theogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

UPDATE: Okay, so we've decided on The Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc from Chesky Records. You used to be able to get 20% off by using the code UHDD20 as a Head-Fi member, but I don't know if that code still works. You aren't required to get this, by any means-- it's just an attempt to make your comparative experience more valuable by providing a common ground for many of us to use when evaluating different gear. Also, you're a dork if you don't get it. (Just kidding. Dorkiness seems to come for free with each download on this one...)

No, that code didn't work, I went to the googles and found hdsurvey20, it worked.

So, I guess I'm not a dork now? Or am I a dork now? I'm confused.

I'm planning to bring the following:

Gungnir (not multibit)
Mjolnir 2 (LISTT, stock and some Tesla ECC88s)
Wyrd
Some old laptop I janked from work and slapped Ubuntu and Windows 10 on with JRMC on both OS's.
Ether C
Shure SRH1540
Shure SE535 and E3c (dern them are old)
DX90

I have a Bimby that I stole the USB v2.0 card from to put in my Gungnir I could bring it, Asgard 2, Modi 2 Uber, Magni 2 Uber. Not sure if those are worth bringing when there will be a Cavali Liquid Gold there!

I can't make it the night before/after. My stupid brother is still in the sand pit so I don't have a floor to crash on. My brother in law may come. I'm trying to get Bigro on here to come, but he's being more like Bigbaby. Anyone know him, give him a guilt trip for me. (hint we work together)

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 348
Checking in with my updated gear list:

Cans: RS1i, GH1, V6, and SennGrado
IEMs: Tralucent 1+2, Trinity Delta, and maybe ASG1+ or SM64
Amps: MAD Ear+ HD and Chord Mojo
Sources: Rega DAC, Bladelius DAC, and AK100ii

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 348
I am in, @pippen99, no problems on the Cavalli, Warren is hard to pin down, and I avoid interaction with still hart when possible.

I will tentatively have:

Headphones:

HD800
LCD-3f (with new carbon fiber headband)
Meze Classic 99
AKG K7XX (for sale)

Alclair RSM Quads and yet to be named Newly launched Audiophile CIEM.
Their new VP of Marketing is located in Nashville, so working on having a corporate presence from Alclair at the Meet.

Amps:

Taurus Mk. 2
Airist Audio 5
LC
LAu/Glass pending Warren
Apex Audio Glacier
IFi Audio Retro 50/LS3.5 Tabletop System

DACS

MONARCHY M22b
Grant Audio Tube DAC 11

Pending ????

Also will be demoing Norne Audio Cables again, let me know if Y'all have any cable requests, hoping to have a Therium 8 wire CIEM Cable, Norne Draug 2, perhaps something special for Audeze....

Any good concerts on the night of the 9th?

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 348
Bifrost 4490
Project Ember II
HE-500
DT1350

As per usual, I'll be the official representative for the minimalist side of this hobby.  
cool.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 348
Okay, just got off of the Warren, he'll be forwarding me the Liquid Spark Demo Unit directly from CanJam to demo at or Meet!!!! So if Dan makes it with his Crimson and Glass, Cavallimwill be well represented!

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 348
Oh Burnley, sorry to read about your exploits with the BW hotel.  I've stopped staying at all BW properties, because I think they are in general poorly managed and maintained.  Good luck with the search.

Tentative equipment list:
LCD-X w/ carbon fiber headband and Wywires
HD800 w/ Wywires
Gungnir MB
Bryston BHA-1
AK120ii / Oppo HA-2
Shure SE846 
Macbook Pro w/ JRiver21

See y'all soon,
Dick

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 348
  Oh Burnley, sorry to read about your exploits with the BW hotel.  I've stopped staying at all BW properties, because I think they are in general poorly managed and maintained.  Good luck with the search.

Tentative equipment list:
LCD-X w/ carbon fiber headband and Wywires
HD800 w/ Wywires
Gungnir MB
Bryston BHA-1
AK120ii / Oppo HA-2
Shure SE846 
Macbook Pro w/ JRiver21

See y'all soon,
Dick

Hey Dick, do you feel like JRMC21 is a worthwhile improvement over JRMC20?

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 348
I didn't notice an improvement in SQ, but I did have a bit of unstable performance from JRMC20.  It would hang occasionally and once lost the link to the music folder.  Had to reload it.  I've had JRMC21 for about four months now, and it's very stable.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #15 of 348
  I didn't notice an improvement in SQ, but I did have a bit of unstable performance from JRMC20.  It would hang occasionally and once lost the link to the music folder.  Had to reload it.  I've had JRMC21 for about four months now, and it's very stable.

Good to know. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back