Music City Meet Vol. 3 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2015 (April 18, 2015)
Apr 18, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #496 of 513
  i too was a last minute scratch, due to a combination of several things, least of which was a stomach that didn't want to go !
i just spoke to matt a while ago, and he said things were going GREAT ! 
i look forward to a bunch of pictures and impressions !

Yeah, I was worried about you Jay, when you hadn't shown up.

Hope all is well...

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #497 of 513
Yeah, I was worried about you Jay, when you hadn't shown up.

Hope all is well...

nothing major ,just was probably safer to be near the home base

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #498 of 513
I am so sorry I could not go today. The stars didn't align like I truly hoped for. 

As it turned out, a old work mate of mine from New York got hired in Franklin. 
Today, he wanted to go looking at potential homes. So, it was hard for me to refuse being his "tour guide". 
We got home a few minutes ago and he pretty much said he was done for the day.

To top it off my wife got home shortly after (great timing) from being with her Father; who is in the throws of moving to a new home (packing, cleaning and such).

When I was headed out the door by myself, she asked where I was going? When I told her the Can Jam, I get some choice words and looks. Somthing along the lines of "I just get home and you leave for some g#d d&$m headphone meeting!". 

Needless to say that pretty much iced my ideas of attending. I am not thrilled but trying to be the "good husband". Sigh....

Hope you all enjoy the meet. Post pictures so I can live vicariously through you....

Soon to be in witness protection,
Eric

PS - I still owe money for the shirts, let me know how I can arrange payment....

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #499 of 513
  I am so sorry I could not go today. The stars didn't align like I truly hoped for. 

As it turned out, a old work mate of mine from New York got hired in Franklin. 
Today, he wanted to go looking at potential homes. So, it was hard for me to refuse being his "tour guide". 
We got home a few minutes ago and he pretty much said he was done for the day.

To top it off my wife got home shortly after (great timing) from being with her Father; who is in the throws of moving to a new home (packing, cleaning and such).

When I was headed out the door by myself, she asked where I was going? When I told her the Can Jam, I get some choice words and looks. Somthing along the lines of "I just get home and you leave for some g#d d&$m headphone meeting!". 

Needless to say that pretty much iced my ideas of attending. I am not thrilled but trying to be the "good husband". Sigh....

Hope you all enjoy the meet. Post pictures so I can live vicariously through you....

Soon to be in witness protection,
Eric

PS - I still owe money for the shirts, let me know how I can arrange payment....

Sorry we missed you Eric.  Was a great time.  Kudos to Theogenes for organizing a great meet.  This was our (mine and Annette's) first meet, we learned a lot and met many great people.

Burnley is already anxious to organize another meet before too long.  Hope to see you there, until then don't worry about the witness protection. Here on Head-Fi we are uber confidential.

Enjoy the music,
RCBinTN

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #500 of 513
Man I had a blast guys. Maybe next time my amp will work and I'll have my TH 900 in the mail. Unfortunately i coukdnt test out headphones for my amp, but I heard a couple of great setups and met some really cool people. Shout out to Joe Saxon, Dan (mr speakers), Joedoe, Speedster and Theo, yall were really cool to talk to. All in all, I call that a success regardless of my amp situation. Hopefully il be back next year!

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #501 of 513
At the Nashville meet today I had the chance meet some cool fellow head-fiers and to hear cans and amps that I have never heard before.  My general impressions are:

The HD800 is very clear sounding and nice to listen to, but did not wow me in the bass department.

A big surprise for me was the Grado PS1000. Jazz on this can had nice separation and clarity, without mistaking the Grado  signature sound. 

I didn’t keep track of all of the dac/amp combos I heard, but I came away realizing that I prefer my Dac-Wow/Pioneer SX-650 stereo receiver sound to some others I heard.  I brought my Alpha Primes and Sound Magic HD200s to try out on different equipment. 

The main things I wanted to hear, since I have recently placed orders for them, are the Ether and Cavalli Carbon.  Listening to the Ethers through the Carbon with music played through what I believe was an Astell & Kern player, was utterly fascinating.  Dan had some classical music playing through it which was obviously well-recorded, presenting  a 3D sound quality. 

There were 3 other amps that Dan had, a Cavalli Crimson, the schiit ragnarok and yggdrasil, and a Woo amp (I don’t remember the model number);  I preferred the Woo.  The Ethers are lightweight,  comfortable, and it seems they will upgrade as far as your equipment will take them. The Woo/Ether combo (not sure what dac Dan was using) is hands down the best thing I have ever heard.  The realism and separation  blew me away. I never felt I was missing anything with the Ethers.

I even tried the Ethers with my Ifi nano and sansa clip. I was able to get loud and good sound from the Ethers, much louder than with my Primes. 

Oh, and I prefer my Primes to the Audeze phones I heard.

So, in a nutshell, I feel good about my purchases of the Ether and Carbon, and look forward to receiving them in a few months.  And I also feel that my present setup is able to hold its own.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #502 of 513
Theogenes, thanks for settling up a great meet, Dan, appreciate your support of the Nashville Meet. The Ether is out of this World good!!! It was great seeing everyone again can't wait until the next event!!! More impressions coming tomorrow, right now my bed is calling.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #504 of 513
For me, I think the HD 800 stole the show on that Questyle CMA 800 amp. I nead to know what Joe used as the DAC, because that was an incredible combo. Really took my breath away.

The DAC was built in to the amp, its a great combo piece! $2495.00.  Thanks for the nice words, I try to match the systems the best I can...

More on the show tomorrow, I had an amazing time, great folks!

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #505 of 513
I just want to say this was my first Head-Fi meet and I couldn't have had a better time (I wish I could have stayed longer). You guys are just the best. Being a new guy to the headphone scene you all made me feel more than welcome. I'm really bad with names but I have to thank Theogenes, KilKil and Skyline315 for being so helpful and welcoming. A special thanks to Dan (Mr. Speakers) for bringing his Woo 5 (I have to have one(someday)). His Ether's are awesome so are the Primes. This guy is just so passionate about his craft and it shows in his product. I'm almost thinking of selling my Alpha Dogs and getting some Primes (they are that much better). I will have a pair of Ethers (These with the Woo 5 were just ( The best thing I have heard so far) I haven't heard a lot so take it with all the salt you have.I heard Audeze LCD 2's and (closed backs don't remember the model)  , HD 800's and HD 700, HD 650 ,Senn Momentum( pretty nice sounding), AKG 7,5 's and Beyer Tesla's , Grado something 1000 wood model and they sounded great. I'm a new guy to all of this so I don't know all of the models so I'm doing the best that I can. All that I can say is thanks for doing this. Count me in on the next one right now. All of the people I met were just the best.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #506 of 513
Just got home and got everything set back up! I'm listening to music on my new Momentum 2's, thanks to Joe Saxon, and enjoying it greatly! A special thanks to Keith from Emotiva, for not only being wonderful company but also giving me one of his Emotiva Optical cables, which is VERY nice.

Also thanks to Dan (Mr. Speakers) for sharing some great knowledge, great headphones, great amps and great company. It was a pleasure to meet you and I will be looking your way when I have some real money for a new headphone!

Thanks, of course, to Burnley (Theogenes) for organizing the meet. I know you poured a lot of time, energy and resources into the meet, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being extremely grateful for all you did to make this meet exceptional.

If I could, I'd mention all of you who shared great gear, great discussion, and great company, but I'd be on here all night. Thanks to you all!

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #508 of 513
I have lots more pics coming but wanted to share these and say thanks kindly to everyone who contributed to make this meet possible.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #509 of 513
I have lots more pics coming but wanted to share these and say thanks kindly to everyone who contributed to make this meet possible.

mouth waters !  
blink.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #510 of 513
Jay we missed you, hope everyone is feeling better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back