Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014)
Jun 20, 2014 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 714

Theogenes

Headphoneus Supremus
Welcome to the Fall edition of the Music City Meet 2014!! 

After a successful meet earlier this year, we will be holding another meet for anyone with an interest in great people, great gear, and great music!! The location will be the same as the last meet-- the Conference Room at the Best Western Franklin Inn (1308 Murfreesboro Road, Franklin, TN 37064). I've reached out to our contacts there and got our reservation locked in!

For those of you who might be interested, below are three threads relating to the OG MCM: 
Original May Music City Meet Thread
Updated May Music City Meet Thread
Post-Meet Pictures & Impressions Thread

Venue Pics:

Frequently/Never Asked Questions: 
Who Is Welcome? 
Anybody!

How Much Does It Cost? 
Not a thing. Just show up, be friendly, and bring gear if you have some to share!

What Can I Bring? 
Besides a love of good music well reproduced and a friendly demeanor, you don't need to bring anything at all! If you have some personal audio gear that others might like to hear, though, we would love it if you'd bring yours down (as that's one of the key elements to making the meet great for everyone)! Let me know what you decide to bring by posting below. If something changes, no worries-- just post in the thread and I'll try to keep the gear lists updated so people have some idea what's going to be present to check out. 

I Don't Have Any Cool Headphone Gear, Can I Bring Something Else to Help Out?
Sure! We can always use extension cables and power strips, and the more the better-- there are only 9 power outlets in the room we're using, so we really can't have enough of both! We ended up lining tables along the walls last time and had few enough attendees for it to work with the strips and extensions we had, but if we have a significant increase in attendees this time, we'll definitely need more. Basically, if you have 'em, bring 'em!! :) Also, if there are any shutterbugs among the group (like Eric and Josh were in May) who are kind enough to bring along cameras and share their pictures with everyone, that would be greatly appreciated!! Because if there's anything that's almost as great as awesome headphones, it's awesome headphone pictures-- a fact which has been scientifically proven for decades. Don't look it up, just trust me here. 

What About the Eats??
I'll get some snacks for the meet, similar to last time. While there won't be filet mignon, four-course meals, or stuffy professional waiters, you should at least be able to keep your blood sugar from base-jumping on you during the meet itself. Also, we'll be within 5 minutes of Cool Springs, which has essentially every type of eatery your heart could ever desire. So when the munchies start detracting from your musical bliss, duck out and grab a sandwich (or whatever you want) and come back sated and ready for another round of great music, gear, and conversation!

Are There Any Additional Festivities? 
I'm open to meeting up for dinner and drinks the night before or after the meet (or both, maybe) with interested parties. If you're interested, let me know!!

Will There Be Any Vendors There? 
At this point, who knows? I'm going to reach out to a few, including several that wanted to attend the last one but weren't able to due to some issues with the previous organizer. As I get vendors on board, I'll post the updates here, so stay tuned!!

What Awesome Gear Will Be Present For Me to Check Out?
That depends on what awesome gear you bring! I'll keep a running tally of who's bringing what in the second post, so if you are just dying to hear the new KochleaKrusher 4000, you can see if someone plans on bringing one down to share. I can say that last time we had some pretty stellar gear available (see the links from the Impressions thread above), and I think everybody got to hear a lot of stuff that was new and interesting to them. Just don't bring your next mortgage payment with you when you come-- you might be hopping on websites and buying stuff before you know what happened. Which would be Sad Mac. 

Do I Need to Let You Guys Know I'm Coming?
Technically, no-- you can just show up! However, I'd like to have an idea of how many people are coming, and what gear they're bringing, so that I can make sure I keep the logistics of this sucker under control. Should we have too many people show up and not enough Doritos, for example, we might have packs of wild, ravenous audiophiles roaming the hapless streets of Franklin... which would definitely be bad news bears. 

So When Is This Whole Soiree Going to Be Happening? 
We've got the room booked for the whole day, but the 'official' hours are 10am through 7pm. If 7pm rolls around and everybody is still feelin' froggy, we might even extend it a while :wink:

Other Thoughts

Gear to Sell: If you have some gear you'd like to sell and plan on bringing, let me know and I'll make a note that it's for sale in the gear listings. This seems to be popular in some of the big meets in the Northeast I've read up on, and I don't see why we couldn't do the same thing. Plus, if Jay attends, there's a distinct possibility he would buy every single headphone in attendance and resell them before leaving, and that's a spectacle I couldn't possibly bear missing. (Hugs, Jay!! 
biggrin.gif
)

IEM Section: I'm thinking it would be interesting to have a separate table or area for IEMs and portable equipment in general. If we end up doing this, I think it would be wise to make a list of what IEMs will be there so people can pick up some appropriate tips, Complys, or whatever to use for each IEM they want to hear. People can use tips on multiple IEMs and they're typically inexpensive, so this could be a great way to check out other portable buds, etc at low cost while still maintaining a hygienic integrity for the OCD among the group (like myself). 

Vendors to Invite: I'm already planning on reaching out to Zach at ZMF (of course), Justin at HeadAmp, Dale at Aurisonics, and a few others. Who else would you like to see here? If you have any contacts or compromising photographs that could compel a manufacturer with great gear to attend, please let me know!

Your Thoughts/Ideas: After attending a grand total of three headphone meets in my life (including the one I set up) and planning exactly one, I'm willing to concede that there are probably a significant number of great ideas out there I haven't stumbled across yet. Got a great idea? Holla at me!! I'm sure we won't be able to do every awesome thing anyone thinks of, but I'm definitely very interested in making this as great an experience as humanly possible for everyone involved, so don't be bashful-- this is the internet, after all! I'm going to dig through a few other threads for good ideas too, and if I find anything brilliant I'll bring it back for the trial by groupthink. 

Standard Demo Tracks: One thing I thought of after attending the last meet was how nice it might be if there was a standard album (or track list) of 10-20 songs that were loaded in the same format, bitrate, etc on each setup at the meet. This might make it easier to compare multiple setups, but it also might be a pain in the mule. Whaddya think, is this worth doing? And if so, what tracks should we shoot for having everyone use? (No flame wars here, please-- no matter how much you feel the need to convince everyone that Bieber really is the Mozart of our generation). 

UPDATE: Okay, so we've decided on The Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc from Chesky Records. You can get 20% off by using the code UHDD20 as a Head-Fi member! You aren't required to get this, by any means-- it's just an attempt to make your comparative experience more valuable by providing a common ground for many of us to use when evaluating different gear. Also, you're a dork if you don't get it. (Just kidding. Dorkiness seems to come for free with each download on this one...)

Signature Line Advertising: Since few people seem to come to the meet threads, it would be great if those who know about the meet could get the word out to others who might be interested in attending. Besides the normal methods of doing so (posting in boards, sending PMs to members in the area, showing up unannounced at the homes of various members), a few of us did links in our signature lines to let people know about the last one. A few examples might be: 

See You at the Music City Meet -- Fall Edition on Sept 20th in Nashville, TN!
All The Cool Kids Will Be in Nashville on Sept 20th-- Be There or Be Screech!
Come Join Us at the Music City Meet -- Fall Edition in Nashville on Sept 20th!
You Are Not Cool Enough To Attend This Meet. Period. 

Closing Thoughts: 
I can honestly say I've learned more about my own tastes in gear and how I wanted to set up my system from meets than all the reading I've done on the internet-- and that's a lot of reading on the internet. If you've never been to a meet before, GO TO A MEET!! We'd love to have you at ours, but even if you can't come to this one, getting to any meet would definitely be worth your time. And if you're an old hat at these meets by now, why, where have you been while Nashville has needed a meet all these years?? Why am I stuck doing this???
wink.gif

Seriously, these meets succeed or fail based on the quality of the people and the gear that show up. I genuinely look forward to seeing the guys from the last meet and meeting some new people at this one!! SEE YOU IN NASHVILLE!!!!

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 714
Tentative Attendees & Gear: 
An parenthetical asterisk, like (*), indicates that the piece is also for sale. Yay!

Theogenes

Headphones
Hifiman HE-6
Beyerdynamic T5p (balanced mod)
Audeze LCD-2.1
Magnum v4
Aurisonics ASG-2
Etymotic ER-4PT

Amplifiers
Audio-gd Master 8
First Watt F5 (Rawson clone)
Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II
iBasso D-Zero
Meier Audio PCSTEP
JDS Labs O2

Sources
Lynx Hilo
JDS Labs ODAC
Netbook (basically Civil War-era)
Dell Venue 11 Pro (full Windows)

Jaywillin

Headphones
Audeze LCD-X
Possibly every other headphone ever made 
tongue.gif

Amplifiers
Bryston BHA-1

Sources
Wadia 121

NyquistRate:

Headphones
HifiMan HE-400
Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ohm)
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser Amperior

Wildcatsare1:

Headphones
Sennheiser HD650
PSB M4U1
Sony XBA-4
Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs
HiFiMan HE560

Amplifiers
Schiit Lyr 2
Fiio E17 (*)

Sources
Schiit Modi
Schiit Wyrd
iFi iDSD Nano (*)
Schiit Bifrost USB

JoeDoe:

Headphones
SennGrados
Denon D2000
Beyerdynamic DT880 (*)
Grado PS500
Earsonics SM64 V2
AKG k702 (*)

Amplifiers
ALO Audio PanAm
-ALO Audio Passport
-ALO Audio Gateway
Schiit Asgard 2 (*)

RCBinTN:
Bringin' the HEAT!!! (No idea what this means, I just thought it sounded cool.)

RUMAY408:

Headphones
Sennheiser HD800
Beyerdynamic T1
Fostex T10
Sennheiser HD650 (balanced ALO green line) 
Sennheiser HD595
HifiMan HE400

Amplifiers
ALO Audio MKlllB+ portable headphone amp
Meier Classic
Fiio E11

Sources
Source MacAir Amarra 2.4
Meier Daccord
iPod Rockboxed 5.5G
Audioquest DragonFly (1st gen)
Furutech ADL GT40
Partridge InnaPearTree

Maymur8: 

Headphones
Noble Audio Noble 5

Amplifiers
Fiio E12

MattTCG

Headphones
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD650
HiFiMan 400i
Oppo PM-2

Sources
Oppo HA-1 
NAD m51

MLGrado

Headphones
Grado RS1i
Sennheiser HD558

Sources
iFi iDSD Micro 
iFi iDSD Nano
iFi iUSB Power
iFi iPurifier

rsgladwin85

Headphones
AKG K712
Denon D2000 w/ MCA Macadamia Nut Wood Cups, Black and Silver Cable from BTG Audio, and Lawton Audio Angle Pads 
Darth Beyers

Sources
Emotiva XDA-2
Hifiman HM-601

Amplifiers
Fiio E12
Emotiva Mini-X A100

phillyd

Headphones
HiFiMan HE-300
Velodyne vPulse

Sources
iBasso D-Zero

Amplifiers
Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL MKIII

Oteil

Headphones
Grado PS1000

Amplifiers
Glow Audio One

bumgardnern

Headphones
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Other Contributions
Paradox Slant (from FlySweep)

Vendor Contributions
ZMF V1
ZMF Vibro (new tuning!)
HiFiMan HE-400i
HiFiMan HE-560
Aurisonics ASG-2.5
Aurisonics ASG-1.5
Aurisonics ASG-1+
Aurisonics Rockets

Tentative Vendors & Enthusiast Companies: 

Aurisonics: CONFIRMED to be attending!!! Make sure you bring a hairnet and Hefty bag so you don't make a mess when your head explodes after hearing the ASG-2... You have been warned. 

Beezar: Saw these guys at Canlanta, they have some really impressive headphone amps-- ones that pair exceptionally well with Grados, I hear
wink.gif
. Tom (tomb around here) seems like a great guy, and we're stoked to have him attend!!
UPDATE: Tom won't be able to attend due to a situation outside his control, but has expressed an interest in possibly attending our next outing. Sorry Tom!!

HiFiManCONFIRMED contributers!! Eric at HiFiMan will be sending us the new HE-560 and HE-400i for evaluation. Considering the deluge of positive press these have gotten (and how much the 560 has been compared to my reference HE-6), this should be a FANTASTIC addition to the show!!

Vintage HiFi: Very cool guy doing vintage audio restoration and sales. He's going to wait until it's a little closer to confirm to ensure he can be there, but it should be heavenly for guys with orthodynamics!

ZMF Headphones: CONFIRMED contributers!! One of the biggest hits of the first MCMeet, looks like we might get to meet the man himself, Zach Mehrbach!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723847/music-city-meet-nashville-tn-fall-2014-sept-20-2014

Trading Post:

Some of the guys have a few items they'll be bringing that they are interested in selling, so if you're feelin' spendy, you'll have plenty of opportunity to sate your ravenous gear lust! (I'm going to try to mark items in the above list that are for sale with an asterisk to make 'em easier to spot as well).  One note: I've linked to the product pages that I'm pretty sure match the right products, but in case I haven't: confirm it with the seller before you assume I'm correct. In fact, you should probably just assume I'm utterly off my rocker and work from there. Couldn't be that far from being true anyway!

Wildcatsare1
Fiio E17
iFi iDSD Nano

JoeDoe
AKG k702
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
Schiit Asgard 2

Skyline315
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

RUMAY
Shure 530 PTH
Sennheiser HD595
Hifiman HE400

phillyd
Hifiman HE-300
Audioengine A5+
M-Audio BX8-D2

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 714
Update 1: Conference room appears to be a go, confirming everything on Monday!

Next steps: messaging people with interest in attending prior meets, reaching out to vendors. 

Boom. :wink:

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 714
i certaianly plan on attending !!!   , now what to bring.......

at the moment i have one headphone, the lcd x
the wadia 121 will be there crunching 1's and 0's
i have no plans of getting rid of the bha-1
or the mad ear+ hd

of course, line up subject to change at a moments notice 
wink_face.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 714
Looks like its going to be a great meet.

Unfortunately I have no way in getting out of prior commitments (as in work..lol).

Nonetheless hope you all have a great one and keep us posted with plenty of pics and impressions.
beerchug.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 714
  i certaianly plan on attending !!!   , now what to bring.......

at the moment i have one headphone, the lcd x
the wadia 121 will be there crunching 1's and 0's
i have no plans of getting rid of the bha-1
or the mad ear+ hd

of course, line up subject to change at a moments notice 
wink_face.gif

Ha!! Anytime we see a gear list for ya, Jay, we know it's but a candle in the proverbial wind 
tongue.gif
. Can't wait to see ya there, man!!

Looks like its going to be a great meet.

Unfortunately I have no way in getting out of prior commitments (as in work..lol).

Nonetheless hope you all have a great one and keep us posted with plenty of pics and impressions.
beerchug.gif

Fact: Work is The Man's way of keeping you from enjoying headphones. Fight the power. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 714
  Surely, someone is going to buy the HE-560 between now and then?  Right?  Anyone...?

beyersmile.png

rolleyes.gif
(and i'm whistling)   lol
i'd love to hear one too, but i wasn't very encouraged by the roll out or lack there of

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 714
And the GS1000e!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I'm trying to influence anyone. (*cough JAY cough*)

atsmile.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 714
And the GS1000e!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I'm trying to influence anyone. (*cough JAY cough*)

:atsmile:

Thats at the top of the list

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 714
Jun 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 714
Jun 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 714

Users who are viewing this thread

Back