Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jun 7, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #1,052 of 1,173
Hey guys, i hope some people still run the LG V30, because i need to know if it's just me.

I just got the HIFIMAN HE400SE and I tried them with a dunu 150 ohm adapter.
I'm not sure if the LG30 is really in High Gain, but the headphones are way to quiet on max volume.
I tested in Neutron Player the gain with the adapter and the headphones. I put the gain on 100 in Neutron and with the adapter it jumps down to 67; with the headphones only plugged in it does the same thing.
I tried to use the preamp in Neutron, but it will distort the sound.

I hope somebody could test this, because I really thought the V30 could drive this.
I already read another thread about this headphone and it seems it's hard to drive on the OnePlus 3T and Iphone 12.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...onal-edition-impression.956804/#post-16265772

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #1,053 of 1,173
Hey guys, i hope some people still run the LG V30, because i need to know if it's just me.

I just got the HIFIMAN HE400SE and I tried them with a dunu 150 ohm adapter.
I'm not sure if the LG30 is really in High Gain, but the headphones are way to quiet on max volume.
I tested in Neutron Player the gain with the adapter and the headphones. I put the gain on 100 in Neutron and with the adapter it jumps down to 67; with the headphones only plugged in it does the same thing.
I tried to use the preamp in Neutron, but it will distort the sound.

I hope somebody could test this, because I really thought the V30 could drive this.
I already read another thread about this headphone and it seems it's hard to drive on the OnePlus 3T and Iphone 12.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...onal-edition-impression.956804/#post-16265772
Get the app "hifi-status" and it'll display what mode the V30 is in.

I'd recommend to use an extension cable and the Dunu adapter.
Once the V30 is in HIM, disconnect the adapter from the extension cable and connect the headphone.

Another quick check is to disconnect the left plug from the headphone and plug the cable to the V30.
This should force aux-mode which should bring a significant jump on the volume, although a bit less than HIM.

Don't use the Dunu adapter simultaneously with the headphone connected.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #1,055 of 1,173
Is Hell approaching 32 F or something?

https://darko.audio/2021/07/tidal-is-quietly-rolling-out-a-bit-perfect-android-app/

If the LG V40 really got this update, I bet that was an oversight :wink:

Does anyone who uses UAPP notice a difference with bit-perfect mode being set to "when possible" or "on" with the v30?

Differences ought to be extremely minimal (inaudible) - measurable, but tiny. (It's just a difference of switching to floating point arithmetic.) However, there was recently an issue with the V60 which, IMHO, was never properly resolved and left UAPP's default bit-depth at the wrong value - at least for US model V60s - and issues like that can create very audible differences. Other LG models shouldn't be affected though,

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #1,056 of 1,173

https://darko.audio/2021/07/tidal-is-quietly-rolling-out-a-bit-perfect-android-app/

Differences ought to be extremely minimal (inaudible) - measurable, but tiny. (It's just a difference of switching to floating point arithmetic.) However, there was recently an issue with the V60 which, IMHO, was never properly resolved and left UAPP's default bit-depth at the wrong value - at least for US model V60s - and issues like that can create very audible differences. Other LG models shouldn't be affected though,
I got a Tidal update last night but it doesn't recognise the internal Quad DAC on my V50. It's still playing everything through the android mixer.

Might need to start looking for a dongle dac that I can use with my iPad pro and V50, or whatever phone I decide to go for next

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #1,057 of 1,173
The TIDAL app on my V30+ has been ‘broken‘ for a long time. The latest TIDAL app version supports bit-perfect output to external USB DACs. I don’t see this update and if I connect an external USB DAC (MQA), I don’t get a popup and I also cannot output in MQA so everything goes through the Android mixer.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #1,058 of 1,173
I have always left the value on either "when possible" or "on". Should those two option in particular sound identical? I know off defaults to android's 48khz sampling rate. The v30s ESS 9218p supports up to 32/384, so I assumed both options would affect output the very same.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #1,059 of 1,173
I have always left the value on either "when possible" or "on". Should those two option in particular sound identical? I know off defaults to android's 48khz sampling rate. The v30s ESS 9218p supports up to 32/384, so I assumed both options would affect output the very same.
Not identical, no. But very, very similar.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,063 of 1,173

I got a Tidal update last night but it doesn't recognise the internal Quad DAC on my V50. It's still playing everything through the android mixer.

Might need to start looking for a dongle dac that I can use with my iPad pro and V50, or whatever phone I decide to go for next

The TIDAL app on my V30+ has been ‘broken‘ for a long time. The latest TIDAL app version supports bit-perfect output to external USB DACs. I don’t see this update and if I connect an external USB DAC (MQA), I don’t get a popup and I also cannot output in MQA so everything goes through the Android mixer.

I have been away from Tidal for a while, so late to this party. But Tidal gave me 3 months Family for free, so I have it again. (And no, it wasn't the anti-MQA campaign that scared me away, I just didn't listen very much.)

I just tested Tidal app version 2.43.0, which is the latest offered on my V30 with Oreo. As pointed out by others, there is no improvement when playing through QuadDAC: It still sendes everything through the Mixer. 16/44 RedBook, 16/44 MQA, 24/44 MQA, 24/352 MQA -- everything is turned into 16/48.

So back to the old Tidal app version 2.21.0 from APK Mirror. At least it plays everything MQA correctly through Direct path -- including the infamous 16/44 MQA. Otherwise it's UAPP, which plays everything perfect. As always. I only use the Tidal app when playing offline, knowing that at least all Master tracks play correctly.

I didn't test version 2.43.0 with a USB DAC. It is possible they fixed that, as reported by Darko. However, version 2.21.0 also plays correctly to USB DAC (Direct path) so I am missing nothing by being on the old version.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,064 of 1,173
I have been away from Tidal for a while, so late to this party. But Tidal gave me 3 months Family for free, so I have it again. (And no, it wasn't the anti-MQA campaign that scared me away, I just didn't listen very much.)

I just tested Tidal app version 2.43.0, which is the latest offered on my V30 with Oreo. As pointed out by others, there is no improvement when playing through QuadDAC: It still sendes everything through the Mixer. 16/44 RedBook, 16/44 MQA, 24/44 MQA, 24/352 MQA -- everything is turned into 16/48.

So back to the old Tidal app version 2.21.0 from APK Mirror. At least it plays everything MQA correctly through Direct path -- including the infamous 16/44 MQA. Otherwise it's UAPP, which plays everything perfect. As always. I only use the Tidal app when playing offline, knowing that at least all Master tracks play correctly.

I didn't test version 2.43.0 with a USB DAC. It is possible they fixed that, as reported by Darko. However, version 2.21.0 also plays correctly to USB DAC (Direct path) so I am missing nothing by being on the old version.
I have just tested version 2.43.0 of the TIDAL app with two external MQA DACs:

1. iFi hip dac

2. THX Onyx

An interesting observation is that the TIDAL app didn't pop up a message recognising my external DACs. The light indicators stayed at colours representing a regular PCM datastream.

So I guess that TIDAL is still broken on the V30. Is there any other way I can test this? People with different phones (and newer phones) receive a pop up from TIDAL recognising the external DAC. On the LG V30 with the latest version of TIDAL, there is no pop up. So I guess the internal 'quad-dac' is used and then Android's sample rate conversion is applied before sending the PCM data out of the USC-C port on the V30.

UAPP works fine.

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,065 of 1,173
I have just tested version 2.43.0 of the TIDAL app with two external MQA DACs:

1. iFi hip dac

2. THX Onyx

An interesting observation is that the TIDAL app didn't pop up a message recognising my external DACs. The light indicators stayed at colours representing a regular PCM datastream.

So I guess that TIDAL is still broken on the V30. Is there any other way I can test this? People with different phones (and newer phones) receive a pop up from TIDAL recognising the external DAC. On the LG V30 with the latest version of TIDAL, there is no pop up. So I guess the internal 'quad-dac' is used and then Android's sample rate conversion is applied before sending the PCM data out of the USC-C port on the V30.

UAPP works fine.

The Quad DAC is definitely NOT involved when playing through USB, since that would require another AD conversion.

The best way to test is by inspecting an audio_flinger dump during playback, as described at the bottom of this UAPP support page.

I should have tested it before going back to 2.21.0. I apologize (pretend I am the horse) :deadhorse:

You can also just connect to your Gustard A18 DAC which will display the sample rate it receives (except with MQA it will display the fully unfolded and rendered sample rate).

Edit: Interesting that you don't get the prompt when connecting USB. I wonder if it's because UAPP is installed, which normally hooks the USB connection event. You could try uninstalling UAPP, reboot the phone, then try again, just while you test the Tidal app. It might make a difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back