Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
May 27, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #661 of 1,162
Sp, means having some differences between V35 and V30. Even I can hear the Pause when setting to use Android default Driver. I don't see any different between these modes.

Hi @ctheanh,

As discussed over in the UAPP thread, I think it's because of Pie more than V35. But of course I don't know that for sure. It shouldn't be much longer now before we get Pie on V30. It already arrived for Verizon V40 and the source has been released for T-Mobile V40. That means Davy can soon start testing it with UAPP and hopefully fix those issues.

You could try and roll back to Oreo on your V35 and see if it makes a difference. It would be valuable info for Davy as well -- if you can find the time. We all assumed that V35 would behave the same as V30 in the audio department, but looking at the structure of its kernel and the ESS driver, it has much more in common with G7 and V40.

BTW I finally rooted my T-Mobile V30 yesterday, mostly because I expect Pie to be coming soon, and it will most likely prevent rolling back to earlier versions. Even though I wouldn't have to install Pie right away, I didn't want to risk accidentally installing a system update and thus blocking my path to root. But now having root will also help me with our project to avoid the Android Mixer for 44/16 audio. I created a new XDA thread asking about it, but it's like a graveyard as far as responses go :anguished:

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #662 of 1,162
Hi @ctheanh,

As discussed over in the UAPP thread, I think it's because of Pie more than V35. But of course I don't know that for sure. It shouldn't be much longer now before we get Pie on V30. It already arrived for Verizon V40 and the source has been released for T-Mobile V40. That means Davy can soon start testing it with UAPP and hopefully fix those issues.

You could try and roll back to Oreo on your V35 and see if it makes a difference. It would be valuable info for Davy as well -- if you can find the time. We all assumed that V35 would behave the same as V30 in the audio department, but looking at the structure of its kernel and the ESS driver, it has much more in common with G7 and V40.

BTW I finally rooted my T-Mobile V30 yesterday, mostly because I expect Pie to be coming soon, and it will most likely prevent rolling back to earlier versions. Even though I wouldn't have to install Pie right away, I didn't want to risk accidentally installing a system update and thus blocking my path to root. But now having root will also help me with our project to avoid the Android Mixer for 44/16 audio. I created a new XDA thread asking about it, but it's like a graveyard as far as responses go :anguished:

Let me try to root my phone before joining in your project.

If I were you, I will try to monitor the running system using Android Studio over ADB to see what is going on when playing music. I think the problem is when playing 16 bit with MusicPlayer class. Normally, system will route it to use default path, so use the 16/48. If we modify the mixer path to force defaut path it to use the device 16/44,1 so maybe OK but not recommended because maybe lead to the system conflict.

The most acceptable way is force 16 bit file play as offload but as you confirmed it does not work, just strange.

Another way you can try is using this old solution from LG V10 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix
The Principle of this solution is, when you play default path, it will turn off HIFI Mode(you can test by switch On/OFF Hifi mode). This app will play a zero 24 bit sound file to force system turn On the HIFI. You can try this tips when playing offline Tidal to test.

My problem maybe related to the MQA tag in Pie. I can flash back my phone to Oreo to check but maybe better I will raise this to Uapp developer to fix it on Pie.

May 28, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #663 of 1,162
Let me try to root my phone before joining in your project.

If I were you, I will try to monitor the running system using Android Studio over ADB to see what is going on when playing music. I think the problem is when playing 16 bit with MusicPlayer class. Normally, system will route it to use default path, so use the 16/48. If we modify the mixer path to force defaut path it to use the device 16/44,1 so maybe OK but not recommended because maybe lead to the system conflict.

The most acceptable way is force 16 bit file play as offload but as you confirmed it does not work, just strange.

Another way you can try is using this old solution from LG V10 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix
The Principle of this solution is, when you play default path, it will turn off HIFI Mode(you can test by switch On/OFF Hifi mode). This app will play a zero 24 bit sound file to force system turn On the HIFI. You can try this tips when playing offline Tidal to test.

My problem maybe related to the MQA tag in Pie. I can flash back my phone to Oreo to check but maybe better I will raise this to Uapp developer to fix it on Pie.

Thank you buddy. My week is packed, but I hope to get some time to look more into this next Sunday.

Regarding your V35, I didn't think there was root for it yet. Or is it because you have a Korean or European model?

In any case will I post in that new XDA thread about this, and I would ask that you do the same. Hopefully activity in that thread will attract the attention and interest of devs there.

Thanks again!

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #665 of 1,162
@ctheanh - thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll try to find some time to get back to looking at this sampling-rate issue again soon.

BTW, it looks like @Dannemand was right about Android 9 (Pie). It seems to have screwed up UAPP :frowning2:

And I still haven't gotten a spare minute to look further into this. But I will. At some point. Soon. :rolling_eyes:

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #666 of 1,162
And I still haven't gotten a spare minute to look further into this. But I will. At some point. Soon. :rolling_eyes:

After checking logcat I can confirm that UAPP did not work well on my phone with Pie, I think it will be the same for you if you update to Pie.

First, The HIFI Mode only work(Turn ON) with DIRECT tag but with this tag it can not play 16/44,1 and will sample to 16/48. If I change the format to "24 bit packed" so it will work correctly. But it's quite stranger because it will work in compress offload mode like Poweramp, not pcm mode.

Second, for DSD, only LG Music will use path for DOP(dop-playback), that's great.. at least It's that what I need.

Using LG V10 Dac Fix only can turn on the HIFI mode but will not help with the sample rate issue, sorry..

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #667 of 1,162
After checking logcat I can confirm that UAPP did not work well on my phone with Pie, I think it will be the same for you if you update to Pie.

First, The HIFI Mode only work(Turn ON) with DIRECT tag but with this tag it can not play 16/44,1 and will sample to 16/48. If I change the format to "24 bit packed" so it will work correctly. But it's quite stranger because it will work in compress offload mode like Poweramp, not pcm mode.

Second, for DSD, only LG Music will use path for DOP(dop-playback), that's great.. at least It's that what I need.

Using LG V10 Dac Fix only can turn on the HIFI mode but will not help with the sample rate issue, sorry..
It appears that a bunch of flags changed in Android 9. The UAPP dev is aware of these issues. Hang tight...

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #668 of 1,162

Thank you for those results. Again, I had hoped to work a bit on this yesterday (including testing that V10 app) but just didn't get the time.

What you report with 16/44 sounds similar to what we've seen all along on V30: It uses Mixer path and upsamples to 16/48 -- although it still uses the DAC. 24/44 (and anything 24-bit) always uses Direct path.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #669 of 1,162
For those of you that haven't yet upgraded to Android 9 (Pie), unless you desperately need some different-colored icons on your screen, I recommend you hold off for now. Android 9 seems to have royally screwed the audio on these LG phones. UAPP is broken right now, and you will need to turn off the MQA switch for it to even recognize the DAC. Even with this flag off, DSD playback is broken - that should be fixed in a future update, but the significant changes Google and/or LG have made are such that it's unclear right now if MQA support will ever come back to UAPP :frowning2: It may be that Oreo will be the last Android version on which UAPP can support MQA (MQA playback will still be available through Tidal and the LG music app).

I'm also finding intermittent distortion with standard PCM playback (all sample rates and bit depths), even with the LG music app. I'll try to post updates on this when I get the time.

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #670 of 1,162
It seems certain sample-rate PCM files (88.2 kHz, 96 kHz in particular) are intermittently being sent to the Android mixer in Android Pie. Oh joy.

If anybody would like to listen or test this for themselves. Here's a test track that used to work fine in Oreo, but now seems to consistently play back through the Android mixer, even with the official LG music app.
Check out the 96 kHz version of Magnificat:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

It's kind of amusing that people create hi-res files for tracks that have no content over 15 kHz, but that's a story for another day. Both UAPP and the official LG music app now re-sample the above 96 kHz PCM track to 48 kHz. For whatever reason, Poweramp plays it ok. (The catch with Poweramp is you have to manually set the sample rate - you are definitely re-sampling if you don't.)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #673 of 1,162
It seems certain sample-rate PCM files (88.2 kHz, 96 kHz in particular) are intermittently being sent to the Android mixer in Android Pie. Oh joy.

If anybody would like to listen or test this for themselves. Here's a test track that used to work fine in Oreo, but now seems to consistently play back through the Android mixer, even with the official LG music app.
Check out the 96 kHz version of Magnificat:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

It's kind of amusing that people create hi-res files for tracks that have no content over 15 kHz, but that's a story for another day. Both UAPP and the official LG music app now re-sample the above 96 kHz PCM track to 48 kHz. For whatever reason, Poweramp plays it ok. (The catch with Poweramp is you have to manually set the sample rate - you are definitely re-sampling if you don't.)

Currently, I am using LG Mucis for DSD file playing and UAPP for another file.

With UAPP, we only can use flag DIRECT to keep the HIFI ON and you need to choose "24 bits" (not Auto) for the file format also.

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #674 of 1,162
Currently, I am using LG Mucis for DSD file playing and UAPP for another file.

With UAPP, we only can use flag DIRECT to keep the HIFI ON and you need to choose "24 bits" (not Auto) for the file format also.
That's good advice. Unfortunately, it seems it's not sufficient to guarantee direct mode. Here's Magnificat in 96 kHz/24-bit, no MQA flag, but Direct and 24-bit-packed flags on:

Output thread 0xeaa03fc0, name AudioOut_15, tid 1358, type 0 (MIXER):
I/O handle: 21
Standby: no
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
HAL frame count: 1920
HAL format: 0x1 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT)
HAL buffer size: 7680 bytes
Channel count: 2
Channel mask: 0x00000003 (front-left, front-right)
Processing format: 0x1 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT)
Processing frame size: 4 bytes
Pending config events: none
Output device: 0x8 (AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE)

P.S. Same story as the above when using either UAPP or LG's music app. It seems these apps are struggling to grab the quad DAC because there are logcat reports of "Direct PCM already in use". I never saw that with the LG app under Oreo.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #675 of 1,162
That's good advice. Unfortunately, it seems it's not sufficient to guarantee direct mode. Here's Magnificat in 96 kHz/24-bit, no MQA flag, but Direct and 24-bit-packed flags on:

Output thread 0xeaa03fc0, name AudioOut_15, tid 1358, type 0 (MIXER):
I/O handle: 21
Standby: no
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
HAL frame count: 1920
HAL format: 0x1 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT)
HAL buffer size: 7680 bytes
Channel count: 2
Channel mask: 0x00000003 (front-left, front-right)
Processing format: 0x1 (AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT)
Processing frame size: 4 bytes
Pending config events: none
Output device: 0x8 (AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE)

P.S. Same story as the above when using either UAPP or LG's music app. It seems these apps are struggling to grab the quad DAC because there are logcat reports of "Direct PCM already in use". I never saw that with the LG app under Oreo.
Please check if you are turning off HIFI DAC mode.

I check the logcat and when playing 16/44,1 fiile with UAPP( 24 bits file format in DIRECT flag) logcat show that UAPP is playing in compress offload mode and show sample rate at 44100. For another formats it shows correctly also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back