Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
May 9, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #631 of 1,172
No need to provide evidence :) We already know all this to be true. I don't pretend to understand why it's so, but my guess is LG just decided to hand anything "hi-res" (DSD, >48 kHz sample rate, and they obviously bundled anything 24 bit into this category too) off to the hardware DAC and assume anything else could just go through the mixer, because who'd care about plain old CD quality? After all, we can all tell the difference between CD and hi-res PCM, right? :wink:

P.S. Sorry, I may have confused with the word "streams". I just mean an I/O stream from a buffer. Not streaming via wifi/cellular.

Cool. I re-read your post now. I clearly misunderstood you. Oh well, I already had those dumps saved previously, and now we have them here in the right context.

The point I was trying to make in the XDA thread was, it doesn't seem like UAPP and Neutron have to be doing anything very special compared to other apps (using the AudioTrack API and such) -- except they convert 16/44 to 24/44. As you have said all along.

This leads to the next question: Why does modifying the policy config files (XML and/or .conf) not seem to be able to change this behavior? And my guess so far has been because it is not supported by the ESS driver. As I wrote on the XDA thread, the driver source doesn't list 44100 as a supported sample rate. But that doesn't explain why it is able to play 24/44 natively.

Enough for now. Hopefully @ctheanh can shed some light on it.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #632 of 1,172
As I know, all android music can devide into 2 group:
1st Grroup:Like Google Music,LG Music.... they will use MediaPlayer class to Play and all other action is setup by audioflinger.
Another group like Poweramp,UPAPP,Neutron will use Audiotrack class to play,

So, if we want to use all the vendor built-in library, we need to modify the system. As I know before, by defaut Hires file will redirect to play as offload. for unlisted format, they have some library to decode/resampler... anh play in primary path and they will play as 16/48.

Before andoid M, audiotrack can only play 16 bits in direct pcm, and I don't know how Poweramp can redirect it to offlload so it can play 24 bits well(I see it will play as streaming app). Base on that, it will use its library to decode/resampler and send the PCM signal to offload way. By defaut, DSD in poweramo will decode to 24/352,8 pcm and play it as offload.

I have no root, so it's not easy to make any test or observing.

May 10, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #633 of 1,172
Bypassing the Mixer for all 24bit audio streams may well be due to the V30's MQA support. AFAIK all MQA stuff is 24bit and you definitely don't want MQA going through the mixer.

The code monkeys probably decided it was the best option to simply pass all 24 bit straight to the hardware rather than trying to determine if it is MQA or not.

There you go a reason to be thankful for MQA. :)

May 10, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #634 of 1,172
Over on Tidal, King Yosef’s album Guilty. streams in 16bit/48KHz according to UAPP. Not 44.1.
UAPP displays a High-Res sticker but it’s not MQA. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that sampling frequency natively before.

May 10, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #635 of 1,172
Over on Tidal, King Yosef’s album Guilty. streams in 16bit/48KHz according to UAPP. Not 44.1.
UAPP displays a High-Res sticker but it’s not MQA. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that sampling frequency natively before.
Interesting! It looks like UAPP processes this as 48/24 (direct), but the native Tidal app as 48/16 (mixer). Still, an album obviously designed for the V30 :)

P.S. I only got as far as track 1, but King Yosef seems to have anger-management issues, no?

May 11, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #636 of 1,172
P.S. I only got as far as track 1, but King Yosef seems to have anger-management issues, no?
The Android mixer made him SO MAD

May 13, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #638 of 1,172
May 13, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #639 of 1,172
May 14, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #641 of 1,172
The Shanling M0 uses the same DAC chip as the V30 and definitely fits in the "smaller" category. The M0 can also act as an LDAC BT receiver.
I think, phone is phone and DAP is DAP. The sound of phone -I don't think - can get the same level of DAP (currently, in the same price level). Even I used Onkyo Granbeat and it's not good as Fiio X5ii( I used it when I have V10).

And no phone support DSD native currently.

May 14, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #645 of 1,172
I think, phone is phone and DAP is DAP. The sound of phone -I don't think - can get the same level of DAP ...

Into a 32-Ohm load:

Screenshot 2019-05-14 11.05.02.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back