Muse is SOOOO good!
May 23, 2005 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

EdipisReks

Banned
i borrowed Origin Of Symmetry from a friend last week, and i've been hooked! i went around to all the used CD stores in the area and managed to pickup Hullabaloo, Absolution and Showbiz. great stuff! i also saw the Symmetry Box set for $40 dollars in great shape, and after seeing the prices on ebay i think i'll be picking it up. does anyone else really like Muse? to me, they are like latter day Radiohead if Radiohead still played instruments
wink.gif

May 23, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 22
I adore Muse, and Radiohead for that matter - both in my top 5 bands of all time. Matt Bellamy's voice is truly amazing, an instrument in its own right, and unlike anyone elses I've ever heard. There's one point in the song Bliss that I only realised was his voice when I saw them perform it live - up to that point I'd just assumed it was a guitar solo.

Origin Of Symmetry is IMO their best album, Absolution is excellent too and quite a progression from where they started. I love some of the live versions on Hullabaloo (Hyper Chondriac Music is probably one of my favourite Muse tracks, if not my favourite), and some of their B-sides are amazing too, Con-science is one of my favourite B-sides ever (along with a ton of Radiohead's, who I firmly believe have the best tracks never to be on an album) and it's on CD2 of the Muscle Museum single.

Enough raving, but I urge Americans who love Radiohead (Muse are indeed more like early RH than the later stuff) to get some Muse in their collection.

May 23, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 22
I've got their first album Showbiz and like it alot. You have to hear them live though, that's where they really shine.

I've got their preformance from Glastonbury last year on DVD and they have to be the best live band of the last decade, they're purely intense live.

I'd like to get some of their other CDs sometime. There also recording a new album too.

May 23, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 22
Muse is definitely a great band. i got a Radiohead fan friend of mine hooked on Muse because of "Absolution." he was like "this is Radiohead if they didn't go down the electronic route!"

i gotta get "Origin of Symmetry" and "Hullabaloo" one of these days. they're only availabe as expensive imports because they were never released in the US.
frown.gif

May 23, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
i gotta get "Origin of Symmetry" and "Hullabaloo" one of these days. they're only availabe as expensive imports because they were never released in the US.
frown.gif

How expensive? If buying them over here + shipping to the US was cheaper, I might be able to sort that out for a couple of people
wink.gif

May 23, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 22
Here in Canada 'Origin of Symmetry' is between $25 - $45 CAD from HMV online.

May 23, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 22
IIRC at Virgin Megastore in NYC, "Origin of Symmetry" was $22.99 and "Hullabaloo" was $32.99. "Showbiz" is available in the US... i think on Matador Records.

May 23, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 22
Over here, I can get Hullabaloo and Origin of Symmetry (from Amazon Marketplace New) for about US$12-13 each, I'm not sure how much shipping would be but I could find out, it would probably run cheaper than those prices, especially if I was shipping both together. At any rate, I'm going on holiday for a week in a week's time, so I wouldn't like to start anything until after that as if the sellers took their time I could conceivably miss the delivery.

If you're interested, PM me as I don't want to junk up a thread about such a good band any more than necessary
cool.gif

May 23, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 22
they're not just Radiohead clones.. they also owe a big debt to Queen.

I like 'em a lot.. "Stockholm Syndrome" is one of the coolest songs I've heard in years.

-jar

May 23, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 22
I'm nutz about Muse. As a trained musician, I consider myself a pretty critical listener. These guys are the real deal. I highly recommend Hullaballoo, their lived CD, which covers many songs form Showbiz and Origin of Symmentry. If you can get your hands on the Hullaballoo DVD, you are in a for a rare treat in live rock performance. So many bands just don't step up live, where it really counts. Muse is one of the few bands these days that actually sound better live. I saw them from the best seats in the house at the Wiltern (LA) a few months ago. Simply phenomenal.

I also listen to quite a bit of Radiohead. While their are some similarlities, they really are completely different. I've never heard Radiohead get anywhere near as hard as Muse.

Anyway, my recommended Muse tunes:

Dead Star (studio version.. very different from the live version)
Cave
Stockholm Syndrome
Falling Away
Butterflies & Hurricanes
The Small Print
Uno
Showbiz
Darkshines
Muscle Museum
Sunburn
Hyper Music
Plug In Baby
Darkshines
Agitated

May 23, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 22
Matt bellamy is a pretentious prick.

Although they are technically brilliant, they are no radiohead no matter how hard they try. That said, I used to quite like them, until my muse-obsessed friend played them over and over again to the point of me wanting to rip those high pitched vocal chords out of bellamy's throat
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lollercheese
Matt bellamy is a pretentious prick.

Although they are technically brilliant, they are no radiohead no matter how hard they try. That said, I used to quite like them, until my muse-obsessed friend played them over and over again to the point of me wanting to rip those high pitched vocal chords out of bellamy's throat
biggrin.gif

thanks for not contributing to the thread.

May 23, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
thanks for not contributing to the thread.

This is my opinion of muse, isn't that what the thread is for? Seems like muse fans can't take a little criticism of their favourite band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back