Mundorf Au/AG Vs Jena Cryo Silver?
Jun 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

slowth

500+ Head-Fier
Trying to find out more info on the above 2 wires for an LOD...

anyone heard both or either? Would like to know more about your perceived sound signature, impressions, comparisons etc?

Thanks for any info!!!

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 23
Those stuffs from Jena are copper, not silver. It's stranded.

And that of the Mundorf is solid core which contains 99% silver mixed with 1% gold.

I had a chance to get some feet of the Murndorf to make a mini-to-mini and compare with Jena. IMO, the Mundorf gives a brighter, faster and wider soundstage. Hans at Qables once used this wire for his interconnects. Meanwhile, the Jena is bassier, smoother in the highs.

Both of them are very expensive. But I still prefer the Jena for its flexibility.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 23
oh they don't have a silver version at all? oops...
is there a diff b/w stranded and solid? sonically speaking?

So would a jena have the same signature as other cryo copper cables except for some apparent improvement?

Ooh i like a wider soundstage with some speed.. don't like things to become too laid back or warm.. too warm tends to muddy it for me..but I'm sure Jena has produced cables that have at least countered those problems?

Would the jena lose detail in the bass and overpower the trebs even if the highs are smoother?

jena's more flexible? cos of the cryo? can I conclude that the main adv of cryo is really it's flexibility? apart from other sonic characteristics...

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 23
and I think hans still uses the mundorf in his silvercab pro.

and li'l knight.. stevekelby told me his fave sound from cables was the jena 22G with 2 silver cryos braided tog.. says it's the best of both worlds.. heh. noticed u have something like that too.. the jena with gold/silver LOD...any impressions of that?

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So would a jena have the same signature as other cryo copper cables except for some apparent improvement?

Ooh i like a wider soundstage with some speed.. don't like things to become too laid back or warm.. too warm tends to muddy it for me..but I'm sure Jena has produced cables that have at least countered those problems?

Would the jena lose detail in the bass and overpower the trebs even if the highs are smoother?

jena's more flexible? cos of the cryo? can I conclude that the main adv of cryo is really it's flexibility? apart from other sonic characteristics...

ALO does have versions that add silver strands to the copper, thus "cryo silver". I don't believe the silver is cryogenically treated, only the copper.

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 23
oh i see.. can't they just do like a cryo process on their own silver wires?

hmmm.. so it's like a braided thing? like the copper braids intertwined with the white silver wires?
how would that sound?

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

To my ears, solid sounds better
smily_headphones1.gif
Especially with the bass, it becomes quicker and more heart-thumping
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Companies have their own "secret" ways of cryo. I have only tried 2 cryo copper wires, i.d Jena and Vampires. And yeah, they sound different. Maybe a little, but the difference can be heard. Jena is more detailed in mids while Vampires give deep low ends.

Quote:

and I think hans still uses the mundorf in his silvercab pro.

and li'l knight.. stevekelby told me his fave sound from cables was the jena 22G with 2 silver cryos braided tog.. says it's the best of both worlds.. heh. noticed u have something like that too.. the jena with gold/silver LOD...any impressions of that?

Yeah
smily_headphones1.gif
I remember he used it with some kind of wires but can't guess out.

I must agree with his comment
tongue.gif
To me, it sounds better than the 3 or 4 strands of Jena.

To tell the truth, the Jena with Au/Ag LOD I made last time, I only heard for about 30 mins and then gave it to my friend as a gift
tongue.gif
Can give much comment about that. But I think that pure silver is still a very choice. Gold is more expensive than silver, but not necessary sounds better
biggrin.gif

Take a look at this for more infos.
Quote:

I don't know how people here think about those Jena wires. Some may say they're overpriced and sounds normal, some say they sound wonderful. To me, they're still the best wire I've ever used and are still my preference wire to compare with others.

Quote:

As said above, it doesn't lose any details but in some cases, clearer.

Quote:

Quote from the Cryo Process of TakeFiveAudio:
Quote:

Our Cryogenic Treatment Process
The Deep Cryogenic Treatment process brings the temperature of the cable or part being treated down to a temperature between -285 F and -320 F. This extreme low temperature can be achieved using LN2 (Nitrogen) in two ways, Vapour or Immersion. Our process uses Nitrogen vapour which we believe to be superior for the type of products we treat. The vapour technique does not subject parts to the same level of thermal shock as the immersion method. Thermal shock can cause cracking on some parts that contain metal and plastic components due to the different expansion/contraction rates.

The process has three stages:

Ramp Down
After sealing the parts inside the computer controlled chamber, Nitrogen vapour is introduced which slowly brings the parts down to our target temperature.

Soak
Once the target temperature is reached the parts are held at this temperature for a minimum of 24 hours. Our exact ramp down, soak and accent times have been developed by us using the most sophisticated testing equipment available, the human ear! The temperature profile used in our process is unique to Take Five Audio.

Accent To Ambient
After the soak time has elapsed the chamber is then allowed to slowly return to room temperature, this stage is monitored closely to ensure the temperature does not ascend too quickly.

The Benefits:
Parts and cables that have been cryo treated have a lower perceived noise floor as well as greater transparency, detail, clarity and openness. We believe strongly in the improvement cryo treatment offers, in fact some of our parts and cable are only sold in the cryo treated version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfranklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALO does have versions that add silver strands to the copper, thus "cryo silver". I don't believe the silver is cryogenically treated, only the copper.

Actually, there's cryo silver. There're even cryo plugs LOL

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 23
so many diff impressions from diff ppl.. guess it's now up to me to listen.. and so many types of cryo.. gosh.

li'l knight.. maybe I should try jena cryo with mundorf braided together! copper, silver, gold! best of 3 worlds!!
Oh and i meant jena not having cryo silver.. the cryo silver u pasted above is another company yeah..

yeah nick.. I just found out the jena cables ppl refer to are all copper.. din know they don't have silver.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

so many diff impressions from diff ppl.. guess it's now up to me to listen.. and so many types of cryo.. gosh.

li'l knight.. maybe I should try jena cryo with mundorf braided together! copper, silver, gold! best of 3 worlds!!
Oh and i meant jena not having cryo silver.. the cryo silver u pasted above is another company yeah..

yeah nick.. I just found out the jena cables ppl refer to are all copper.. din know they don't have silver.

Personally, I think it's best to avoid "alloy" mixes, but that's up to you. Either get all copper, all silver, or all gold (not feasible), however there's plenty of companies out there with pure 100% 24k gold cables..

Here's another "mixed" cable.

Kool Cables | Gold, Silver, Copper click the Mandarina

The same principle applies to two-stroke versus four-stroke engines. The four stroke (1 gas, 1 oil) performs better than a two-stroke (mixed gas and oil together).

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 23
hmmm why's that?
is it a matter of "too many cooks spoil the broth"?

but the mundorf is apparently highly respected and it's got 1% pure gold...

what're the characteristics of gold sound anyway?

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

hmmm why's that?
is it a matter of "too many cooks spoil the broth"?

but the mundorf is apparently highly respected and it's got 1% pure gold...

what're the characteristics of gold sound anyway?

But in actuality, are you, or can you, "hear" that 1% gold in your cable? I don't think so, but I'll leave that up to the buyer. I am not questioning if they make quality stuff, I just don't like the idea of "mixing" alloys in cables. That's all.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: I am aware lesser quality cables are not as pure, however we are talking about very pure cables here.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 23
haha i see so it's just come mindset that alloys are bad? no specific incident to back it up per se? sure of course whether it can be heard is one thing.. ha but the alloy bias is interesting =) not bad at all.. just interesting =)

oh dear... it's such a turn off reading something like that about a company whose cables were so tempting to try....
but it still seems alot of ppl use it...

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the infamous R-10 recabling incident, I think there are many that will not use Jena products...

Thanks for the link Pars. I was temporarily out of the headphone game for a few months. This must have happened when I was good. I'm off to read it now.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back