Multiple driver IEM how to check if faulty?
Sep 3, 2009 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

iriverdude

Banned
On these newer multiple driver IEM's (2 bass, 2 mid, 2 treble) How can you test that one armature driver isn't faulty/non-working? It's fairly easy to check on a 2 way IEM. The same as testing a 2 way speaker if a bass driver isn't working it's pretty obvious. But on a speaker with say 2 extra bass drivers unless you go up to them and feel them moving it's much harder to tell. For example if 1 bass, or 1 mid or 1 treble driver on the JH13 Pro is faulty you may never know?

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 12
Interesting question. What do the extra treble, mid & bass drivers do to the sound? Are they redundant or do they handle different frequency ranges?

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting question. What do the extra treble, mid & bass drivers do to the sound? Are they redundant or do they handle different frequency ranges?

You would have to know how the crossovers are designed. Which are probably part of JH's intellectual property.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

By spreading the load between multiple drivers, the burden is shared. This means much less distortion for a given volume level.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Same theory to speaker designs I guess, either in series, or passive radiator, or one treble driver for upper high, the second for lower treble?

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By spreading the load between multiple drivers, the burden is shared. This means much less distortion for a given volume level.

So, assuming that is why they designed them that way, then it would hold that at that given volume level one would notice an increase in distortion if one of the drivers went bad (one potential answer to the OP).

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would have to know how the crossovers are designed. Which are probably part of JH's intellectual property.

And if this is the reason for the duplicate drivers, then I would assume you could hear a dropout in a certain frequency range if one went bad.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 12
Bottom line, I'm thinking, is if one of the drivers went bad, I would think it would make an audible difference. Otherwise, I am not sure why the duplicate driver was included in the first place.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Bottom line, I'm thinking, is if one of the drivers went bad, I would think it would make an audible difference. Otherwise, I am not sure why the duplicate driver was included in the first place.

Exactly. You'd need to know the sound signature of the JH as new, and then compare the two. Only then could you make an inference that one is malfunctioning. But it does list the 13's under "3-way" product. So they could be redundant. Therefore if that is the case, then the attenuated frequency band would be more difficult to detect.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same theory to speaker designs I guess, either in series, or passive radiator, or one treble driver for upper high, the second for lower treble?

Not in the case of the JH13- they are three way cross overs- 2 high, 2 med, 2 low. So unless they're using two different high drivers (which would be weird, and then require a 4 way cross over). This seems unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back