Multichannel SACD.. anything out from Center
Feb 8, 2002 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nattapong

Head-Fier
Just wondering when they say multi SACD .. how many channel? Front & surrounds.. (3 or 4) Is surrounds being the same? Anything out from center??? or dedicate signal for sub??? 5.1 ???

Feb 8, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 8
I think (not sure) multichannel SACD is 5-channel. Also, I think old SACD players will just down-mix multichannel into basic stereo.

Feb 8, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Um... someone mention about analog out before too on 500V ... How is that work out with say AV receiver? So you have to connect Front, Suround, center and sub from 500V to ext. in on receiver.. and goes from there??? Then digital out from 500V what is that for... ? Only for DVD?

Feb 8, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Nattapong
Um... someone mention about analog out before too on 500V ... How is that work out with say AV receiver? So you have to connect Front, Suround, center and sub from 500V to ext. in on receiver.. and goes from there??? Then digital out from 500V what is that for... ? Only for DVD?

The 500V has digital out for PCM, DTS and AC-3. However SACD can only be output via the analog stereo outs or the analog 5.1 (Front left and right, Center, Rear left and right and Sub). Your receiver or amp needs to have analog 5.1 inputs that bypass the preamp/receiver DSP circuits.

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Nattapong
Just wondering when they say multi SACD .. how many channel? Front & surrounds.. (3 or 4) Is surrounds being the same? Anything out from center??? or dedicate signal for sub??? 5.1 ???

It depends on the recording. For example, I'm not sure, but I heard that the Tubular Bells quad mix is just that -- quad. Front left and right, Rear (surround) left and right, no center, no LFE.

Also, to clarify, SACD is fundamentally different from DVD-A -- they are, by standard, required to have a two-channel mix. All of them. So all "old" 2-channel SACD only models will still always be able to play all SACD's. No matter what. Good for Sony. They may not be able to play the multi-channel version, but they will be able to find something high-res on there to play... Quote:

Basically yes (clarified more clearly in an above post). Welcome to the frustrating world of what they're attempting to introduce as high-end audio. Of course, unless your receiver can handle DSD (entirely different than most DVD, be it -V or -A), it would be useless anyway. But that's only "for now". Eventually, there will be high-end DSD DAC's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back