Multi region DVD players what do ya know?
Jun 8, 2004 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
Since acquiring a region 2 DVD disc (DVD Audio and DTS DD etc) that won't play on my Sony NS500V player, I have been looking into hacks and multi region players.
It is all quite confusing
confused.gif

It seems most of the models that are offered are for the UK market. The hacks that I have found were for models that were sold in the UK. I'm in the US and need a multi region player or hack. Surely, I am not the only guy in the US that wants to play DVDs from other regions.
My Sony says "cannot play" on the machines screen, and on the TV it says something to the effect of can not play due to region.

Does anybody know of a way to hack a US spec player?

And yes the disc does play on my computer, but my computer speakers suck and I don't have a 5 channel set up on it either. I was really wanting to run the multi channel sound through my 5.1 home system.

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 7
i know of at least two us sellers of region free DVD player

http://www.hkflix.com/

http://www.world-import.com/dvd.htm

I purchased a JVC XV-NA70BK from world import and it was a good experience. Both of those sites carry a pretty wide variety of models and they both offer lifetime guarantees on compatibility. HKflix will also modify your existing player to be region free, but i don't know what they charge.

unfortunately a quick search at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks, seems to indicate that your player isn't hackable or firmware upgradeable. good luck, the region encoding system sucks a lot but it can be beat.

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 7
If you google or froogle, eventually there are some dvd players which are code free. Specify code free dvd player. I just thought they were unjustifiably more expensive than stock.
Currently, I have a Coby dvd-515 with code provided at US$45. Obviously it's my secondary/tertiary player. Not bad for $45 considering it has progressive, component video, optical, multi-region.

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Audiomod might be able to tell you something.

"I specialize in SACD players from Sony, Marantz and Philips. Sony models I modify are the SCD-1, SCD-777ES, SCD-333ES, SCD-XA777ES, DVP-S9000ES and DVP-NS500V."

"25 years experience in Audio Repair and Modification. I offer free estimates via phone or email. I profit only from my labor. Parts and shipping are charged at cost."

4390 SE Mark Kelly ct. Oak Grove, Oregon 97267

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for all the links.
When I googled for "region free DVD" or "multi region dvd" I got all UK websites. There was one that showed a hack for my model, but being it was a UK site, I don't know if it would work on my US version and it was all very confusing. I think that is the same place that said the Sony couldn't be hacked.
From the links Punslayer posted, I found the recommended MOMITSU DVD-V880. I also found a Pioneer model that has SACD and DVD A etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back