Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added)
Aug 11, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #167 of 283
Quote:
Nice review thread...based on the amps I know, I'll certainly keep paying attention to what you have to say about amps!

Thanks and I look forward to any input you have!

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #168 of 283
hi average_joe !
did you hear jdslabs c421 or uha-4?
I need your impression about them (comparing them with PS and arrow4G)
thanks

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #170 of 283
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #171 of 283
Quote:
thanks man

I had seen it
also I have seen mike's review that compares c421 with arrow and another popular review that compares 12 portable (transportable) amp
but I need average_joe's review about these

Thank you for the strong interest in having me review these amps.  Unfortunately, at this time I am trying to reduce my review backlog, so I am not going to be reviewing any amps I don't already have for a while. Please feel free to PM me with specific questions, although I won't be able to help with those two amps.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #172 of 283
I just unboxed my Neco Soundlab v3 and I am sitting in my jam chair listening to some incredible sounds and wanted to make my all-important first post here on Head-Fi. I wanted to thank everyone in this community for sharing this vast amount of knowledge. I have been lurking here for a number of months and reading a ton of different threads.

First I want to thank Average Joe for his tireless work reviewing these amplifiers and for the work you have done on aftermarket cables for the TF10. Because of your reviews and insight I have already purchased a couple of things after reading your reviews.

I will not give any detailed impressions on sound since my amp is right out of the box and my Grado RS1i headphones are only a couple of weeks old. (And besides, I'm a newb. What can I tell you guys right now?) But I will say that at the moment it sounds rich, spacious, and the bass feels incredibly deep (standard setting - not bass enhanced). I am very happy with the out of the box sound! I have a mile wide smile at the moment.

As far as first impressions go, the Neco v3 is as well built as everyone says. It is a solid little piece that matches nicely with my iPod touch and a couple of my wife's pony tail bands. Reading Joe's review was invaluable in helping me to choose the Logarithmic volume pot over the standard linear pot. Thanks for that head's up Average Joe. Consider the Log pot if you plan to use it with sensitive in ear monitors as well as your cans. Neco was very nice and after a couple of e-mails we had the details worked out and I ordered the amp. I got the upgraded battery, op-amp 8610, access hole for the Bass Enhance dip switches, and log pot. He said it would take one or two days to get the log pot in and he would post it the following day. He was true to his word. A week in US Postal service hands, and now it is in my hands.

Another point of note. The provided 5v power supply plug is for use in Great Brittan, with an adapter for Europe. It is absolutely not a big deal, but if anyone is wondering if he sends an American plug, you now know the answer.

After I put some hours on the amp, I will post some more impressions.

Thanks again to Average Joe and everyone here ad Head-Fi. Rock on...

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #173 of 283
Thanks for sharing and glad I could help with your decision and getting the right options for you!  The V2 is a nice amp and I am sure the V3 builds on that and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have more time on the amp.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #174 of 283
Glad you like the V3 Neco. I have had mine now for nearly a year and use it with Sennheiser hd25 2's. The sound just keeps getting better and better.

Unfortunatly I recently purchased a cheap motorbike to save money on my daily commute and so miss my train listening sessions up to London (cant listen to music on a bike as I like to be aware of my sorroundings) So It will have home use only.

I am sure you will be very pleased when all your components are burnt in and settled.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #176 of 283
Can test these amps?

GoVibe Porta Tube Portable Tube Amplifier 
Rx MK3-B
Triad Audio L3 

You are doing great work.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #177 of 283
Shonyun 306 added.

Quote:
Glad you like the V3 Neco. I have had mine now for nearly a year and use it with Sennheiser hd25 2's. The sound just keeps getting better and better.

Unfortunatly I recently purchased a cheap motorbike to save money on my daily commute and so miss my train listening sessions up to London (cant listen to music on a bike as I like to be aware of my sorroundings) So It will have home use only.

I am sure you will be very pleased when all your components are burnt in and settled.

There is something to be said for having time with components and being able to get used to them and become familiar with their nuances.  Once that happens there are certain things that are easier to appreciate IMO!

Quote:
Thanks for the great review on shonyun 306. The table you are using for scoring is too wide to be able to read the last few scores.

Thanks, but I wasn't officially done.  Now I am as I added info with some headphones.  The 306 performs well for the price.

Quote:
Can test these amps?

GoVibe Porta Tube Portable Tube Amplifier 
Rx MK3-B
Triad Audio L3 

You are doing great work.

Those and many others are on my wish list, and hopefully some day will be in the review.  But, it will be quite a while...

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #178 of 283
Hi, average_joe!

Thanks a lot for your excellent work! 

I wonder if I could ask your (and other head-fiers for that matter) advice. I am looking for a portable USB DAC/Amp to power my Audiotechnica ES10, playing music either off my laptop, or off my iPad. Which means that I'd need a device with USB DAC functionnality AND confirmed compatibility witi iDevices via Apple Camera Connection Kit. 

I think my price cap is around 500USD.

I am kinda torn apart between different models.

First, I was looking at AudioQuest Dragonfly - unbeatable offering in terms of style and size, with decent sound, but limited to use with a PC or Mac laptop (too power hungry to be used with iPad, and, because of PC-controlled "digitally driven analog volume control", very software/OS dependent. Lacks flexibilit though as can't take line-in. 

Now I am looking at Ray Samuel's excellent Predator or a HeadAmp Pico DAC/Amp, but wouldn't it be an overkill for my use?... Are ES10 worth spending almost 500USD for an amp?...

Or shall I look into cheaper category, like FiiO E17/iBasso D-Zero/Firestone Fireye2 type of models?

And what, in your opinion, would be the best justified choice of USB/DAC amp for my needs? 

I am more into slighlty colored, warm and gentle rendition of sound, love details and soundstage, not so much obsessed with tonal neutrality and "correctness" of sound.

Your help is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #179 of 283
The shonyun scores are off the page, thought i would point it out!

Also i have had a brief listen of the pico slim and though it was actually a bit peaky in the highs when i took a listen to it. However it was with the Sony EX1000 so maybe thats why, i would like to re visit it properly in the future! (just thought i would mention that why on the thread)

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #180 of 283

Quote:

I am not sure I understand how a DAC will be compatible with an Apple camera connection kit.  Isn't the kit so you can use an external card with an iPad?  Other than the iStreamer (which needs external power), Fostex HP-P1, and CLAS, I don't know of any i device DACs, although some will be coming out for the iPhone 5 by early next year.  

While it isn't an amp/DAC, the Hisoundaudio Studio V would make a very nice pairing with the ES10.

Quote:
The shonyun scores are off the page, thought i would point it out!

Also i have had a brief listen of the pico slim and though it was actually a bit peaky in the highs when i took a listen to it. However it was with the Sony EX1000 so maybe thats why, i would like to re visit it properly in the future! (just thought i would mention that why on the thread)

Is it only the Shonyun scores?  The table is set up the same way my other tables are, so I would guess it is a combo of Huddler and your browser.  And the EX1000 would be the reason....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back