Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added)
Jan 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #17 of 283
Updated the information in the first post, including adding my rating scale and the iQube V2 review.  

Quote:
Thanks for creating this review thread.  I'm looking forward to your review on the O2, as I'm trying to decide between a JDS Labs O2 or possibly the 2Stepdance.

I should be getting an O2 soon, but not JDS Labs.

Quote:
Great thread! Cant wait to see the Furutech...

I am currently working on the uHA-120 and Cruise reviews, so it is coming soon...

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #18 of 283
Quote:
Updated the information in the first post, including adding my rating scale and the iQube V2 review.  

I should be getting an O2 soon, but not JDS Labs.

I am currently working on the uHA-120 and Cruise reviews, so it is coming soon...

Awesome! I cant wait to read it...

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #19 of 283
Joe, given that I now have the EPH-02 and have owned the uHA-120 for almost 12 months, I will be very interested in your impressions of these amps. My Aussie plugpack for the EPH-02 should be here by Friday and I plan to spend a large chunk of the weekend listening to the O2 with the adapter connected. Push on - you've assembled an interesting selection of portable amps and it should make for interesting reading.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #20 of 283

Quote:
Joe, given that I now have the EPH-02 and have owned the uHA-120 for almost 12 months, I will be very interested in your impressions of these amps. My Aussie plugpack for the EPH-02 should be here by Friday and I plan to spend a large chunk of the weekend listening to the O2 with the adapter connected. Push on - you've assembled an interesting selection of portable amps and it should make for interesting reading.

Ah, you beat me to both :wink:  I am looking forward to how you hear them vs. how I hear them!

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 283
Sadly, I am reticent to give detailed impressions of the EHP-02 for reasons I outlined in the main Objective2 review thread in the Fullsize (?) amps forum. The very same hype train which the designer sought to derail seems to have simply moved his carriage to the front of the train and steamed onward. I've been here long enough to know how that works - eventually, the Objective2 will find itself at the back of that train, then left at a siding with nothing more than saltbush for company.

My favorite audio cliche is 'I thought the ABC was good until I heard the XYZ ! Man, this thing just stomps the ABC !' .....

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 283
Its performing beautifully, but I suspect that most would be happier with the slightly higher low gain setting. Like anything, there will always be some with sensitive IEMs and bat-like hearing who will tell you otherwise.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #25 of 283
I'm not sure how I managed to miss this, but.... great thread, Joe! This is the type of thread that takes sooooo much work, most of us are unable or unwilling to bother with it. But it is very helpful, so I'm glad you've done it. Thanks!

On a different note, that Furutech sure looks beautiful. It's like it is flaunting it's wedge shape and carbon fiber in front of the other "boring" rectangular amps. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #26 of 283
@project86, I think you posted a short time back that you felt that things had dropped off a little in the portable amp market - they may have dropped off at RSA, Meier (semi-retired) and a couple of the other 'usual suspects', but somewhere between Fiio and iBasso there seems to be a new portable (mostly DAC/amps) every month. Mike at Headfonia finally got around to reviewing Triad's L3 and I suspect that many here are eagerly awaiting the arrival of ALO's  balanced portable amp, the Rx MkIII. I also think there is a commercial future for the Objective2 if someone can put the internals into a smaller, lighter casing - my EHP-02 just isnt going to fit anyone's idea of 'portable', but then neither would the L3.

I dont know what TTVJ or Headamp are up to, but I suspect that we will see several new portable amps in the first quarter of 2012.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #27 of 283
Hello,

I'm going on Ebay to see the Neco Soundlab v2 and i see a v3 :))
Do you test the V3 ?
I see we can change the opamp (OPA134 by AD8610). Is it better ?
They said it's ok to drive can up to 200 ohm.
Is it ok to drive AKG 271 MK2 or DT880 PRO 250 ohm ?

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #28 of 283

Quote:
I'm not sure how I managed to miss this, but.... great thread, Joe! This is the type of thread that takes sooooo much work, most of us are unable or unwilling to bother with it. But it is very helpful, so I'm glad you've done it. Thanks!

On a different note, that Furutech sure looks beautiful. It's like it is flaunting it's wedge shape and carbon fiber in front of the other "boring" rectangular amps. 

Thank you, just trying to follow in your source review footsteps!  And the numerical part took forever, trying to get it right with so many different headphones and IEMs. 

Yes, the Furutech is amazing looking in person and looks awesome on the desktop or anywhere!

Quote:
@project86, I think you posted a short time back that you felt that things had dropped off a little in the portable amp market - they may have dropped off at RSA, Meier (semi-retired) and a couple of the other 'usual suspects', but somewhere between Fiio and iBasso there seems to be a new portable (mostly DAC/amps) every month. Mike at Headfonia finally got around to reviewing Triad's L3 and I suspect that many here are eagerly awaiting the arrival of ALO's  balanced portable amp, the Rx MkIII. I also think there is a commercial future for the Objective2 if someone can put the internals into a smaller, lighter casing - my EHP-02 just isnt going to fit anyone's idea of 'portable', but then neither would the L3.

I dont know what TTVJ or Headamp are up to, but I suspect that we will see several new portable amps in the first quarter of 2012.

Yes, many new suspects. What ever happened to the Arrow G4, as I heard the prototype board and was impressed.

Quote:
Hello,

I'm going on Ebay to see the Neco Soundlab v2 and i see a v3 :))
Do you test the V3 ?
I see we can change the opamp (OPA134 by AD8610). Is it better ?
They said it's ok to drive can up to 200 ohm.
Is it ok to drive AKG 271 MK2 or DT880 PRO 250 ohm ?

Thanks.

Yes, Neco was developing the V3 and it should be improved over the V2.  Neco is a great and responsive guy, shoot him a message with your questions and I am sure he can accommodate your needs. He modified my V2 for IEM use. 

The op amps are a personal choice, dependent on the sound you want, and I think you can roll the op amps yourself if you want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back