Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #11,746 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

You said in your review that PFE 122 is one of the IEMs that benefit substantially from amping, and you gave it 8.8. I assume that's before amping? When it's amped, how do you think it performs in comparison to other iems like gr07 MII, er4s, etc? Do you think it performs at the same level as those other iems? How would you score it?

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #11,747 of 16,931
I will give my take which is that the PFE and GR07 are comparable and preference reins. I personally prefer the PFE due to slightly better low level resolution with gray filters and it doesn't have the GR07 peak on top. That said the PFE is a bit lean this way and gr07 has a nice warm without being too thick balance overall and on most kit and files, you won't notice the difference in res. The 4s is in another league but also has a lean but not hot presentation. 4p version has the same detail but is also a bit hot sounding for some like me. If Etymotic fit is acceptable to you, I think them best with the deep triples, the HF5 is as good as the pfe. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #11,748 of 16,931
if there turns out to be a super incredible ridiculously good iem at $400 then what choice do we have really.
3.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #11,749 of 16,931
  I will give my take which is that the PFE and GR07 are comparable and preference reins. I personally prefer the PFE due to slightly better low level resolution with gray filters and it doesn't have the GR07 peak on top. That said the PFE is a bit lean this way and gr07 has a nice warm without being too thick balance overall and on most kit and files, you won't notice the difference in res. The 4s is in another league but also has a lean but not hot presentation. 4p version has the same detail but is also a bit hot sounding for some like me. If Etymotic fit is acceptable to you, I think them best with the deep triples, the HF5 is as good as the pfe. 

I actually own both PFE 112 and GR07 MKII. I love both and at the end of the day that's what matters. I'm just curious to know what Joker's take is on this matter. In my experience, 112 sounds a bit thin sounding out of my ipod nano 7 while my GR07 sounds just fine direct from the ipod. But when it's amped, the PFE's becomes more robust and I can even hear low-end rumble in some songs (that's without the bass boost from the amp) while retaining all the good qualities that the BA iem has (spacious soundstage, airy highs, tight lows, good clarity overall). I also love how my amp gives instruments like guitar a weightier sound. The drums sound more realistic on the GR07, though. In my opinion, the PFE, when amped, competes well with GR07and personally I would give them both the same score.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #11,750 of 16,931
  Nice review as always. adv. congrats on ur 300 mark! :-D

Thanks! 

Wrong place to ask but there was a thread awhile ago, inearcustom is the seller.  Here you go :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643894/inearcustom-cheapest-re-shell-ever

Wow, that sockpuppeting on the last page is damning

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643894/inearcustom-cheapest-re-shell-ever/480

Hi Joker,

You said in your review that PFE 122 is one of the IEMs that benefit substantially from amping, and you gave it 8.8. I assume that's before amping? When it's amped, how do you think it performs in comparison to other iems like gr07 MII, er4s, etc? Do you think it performs at the same level as those other iems? How would you score it?

Thanks.

I don't think you should get hung up on a small score difference rather than the actual review. I agree with goodvibes - they are about on-par and at that level it's all preference anyway. The PFE, at the time, sounded a little lean to me and was still a little less refined than my Etys. I do really like the GR07's consistency between sources and that did bump it up a little. I should also mention that my original PFE quit working a long time ago so the last time I heard one was when I was loaned a Perfect Bass 022 and switched the filters. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #11,751 of 16,931
  I don't think you should get hung up on a small score difference rather than the actual review. I agree with goodvibes - they are about on-par and at that level it's all preference anyway. The PFE, at the time, sounded a little lean to me and was still a little less refined than my Etys. I do really like the GR07's consistency between sources and that did bump it up a little. I should also mention that my original PFE quit working a long time ago so the last time I heard one was when I was loaned a Perfect Bass 022 and switched the filters. 

Thx for the reply Joker,
You're right, I think GR07 is more consistent between sources. I read somewhere that the Vsonic's FR does not change much even when paired with sources with higher output impedance. Just like I said I like them both. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. They're both quite neutral, with the PFE on the colder side and the Vsonic on the warmer side.

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #11,753 of 16,931

Thx for the reply Joker,
You're right, I think GR07 is more consistent between sources. I read somewhere that the Vsonic's FR does not change much even when paired with sources with higher output impedance. Just like I said I like them both. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. They're both quite neutral, with the PFE on the colder side and the Vsonic on the warmer side.

Yes, it has very linear impedance. You can find the measurements for my GR07 here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads 

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #11,754 of 16,931
Interesting review of the Nuforce NE-700M.  I have the older version and I assume this one (2013) must be tuned differently as the original had bass that constantly crept into the mids making everything sound very muddy.  Also, I'll second your assessment of comfort; anyone with smaller ears would do well to choose something else.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #11,755 of 16,931
Hi buddy,

I wanna ask a question about ue 600. On your table, it says i (mic+single button remote)  but ue 600 has mic+3 buttons.

Ue 600 has single button and mic, ue 600 vi 3 buttons and mic ? Or ue 600 don't have mic, ue600vi 3 buttons+mic ?

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #11,756 of 16,931
  Interesting review of the Nuforce NE-700M.  I have the older version and I assume this one (2013) must be tuned differently as the original had bass that constantly crept into the mids making everything sound very muddy.  Also, I'll second your assessment of comfort; anyone with smaller ears would do well to choose something else.

The bass is still not for the faint of heart but I think it's more because it is slow rather than due to the conventional mid-bass hump (as is the case, for example, with the Signature Acoustics Elements C12). It is still intrusive compared to higher-end sets but my old NE-700X was worse. 

Hi buddy,

I wanna ask a question about ue 600. On your table, it says i (mic+single button remote)  but ue 600 has mic+3 buttons.

Ue 600 has single button and mic, ue 600 vi 3 buttons and mic ? Or ue 600 don't have mic, ue600vi 3 buttons+mic ?

Sorry, it should be 3-button for the new UE 600s. I must have forgotten to change it because I started the review back when I had the old ones. This earphone has been around forever and has been called different things:

1st generation
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 - no remote
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5vi - 1-button remote

2nd generation (discontinued but still stocked by some retailers)
Ultimate Ears 600 - no remote
Ultimate Ears 600vi - 3-button remote

3rd generation (current)
Logitech UE 600 - 3-button remote

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #11,757 of 16,931
Hi |Joker|!

I want to deeply congratulate you for being one review away from hitting the 300 milestone! I personally believe that your reviews has influenced many readers into choosing the iem that suits them the most! Are you going to celebrate your 300th mark with the review of the JH13 Freqphase? 
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #11,759 of 16,931
  Hi |Joker|!

I want to deeply congratulate you for being one review away from hitting the 300 milestone! I personally believe that your reviews has influenced many readers into choosing the iem that suits them the most! Are you going to celebrate your 300th mark with the review of the JH13 Freqphase? 
ksc75smile.gif

Yes, please.
biggrin.gif
A review of JH13 freqphase would be fitting to celebrate it.. 
L3000.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #11,760 of 16,931
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back