Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #11,296 of 16,931
Why are people asking for reviews of IEMs that have been covered in depth by countless other reviewers?  For me the best part of this thread is that Joker covers esoteric and less popular options sometimes uncovering gems in the process.

The depth of experience here engenders a sense of trust that is relatively lacking from other reviewers.

It's the course of things. Would you rather get laser eye surgery from the opthamologist who's done 20 or the one who's done 2000?

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #11,297 of 16,931
Would you rather get laser eye surgery from the opthamologist who's done 20 or the one who's done 2000?

you opened a new window to me master vwinter :)  

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #11,298 of 16,931
Quote:
The depth of experience here engenders a sense of trust that is relatively lacking from other reviewers.

It's the course of things. Would you rather get laser eye surgery from the opthamologist who's done 20 or the one who's done 2000?

A good point.  On the other hand if you have a dozen opthamologists and three quarters of them agree on a diagnosis then the odds are it's the right one.  Or in this case if many reviewers agree on a similar performance level and sound signature.

Joker's expertise isn't in question but his time seems more valuable when it's put to use introducing us to something new.  I also question the value of reviewing a product that's no longer being offered by the manufacturer.

Just my viewpoint.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #11,299 of 16,931
A good point.  On the other hand if you have a dozen opthamologists and three quarters of them agree on a diagnosis then the odds are it's the right one.  Or in this case if many reviewers agree on a similar performance level and sound signature.

Joker's expertise isn't in question but his time seems more valuable when it's put to use introducing us to something new.  I also question the value of reviewing a product that's no longer being offered by the manufacturer.

Just my viewpoint.

Lol! It's always that damn last dentist.

I don't disagree with you now nor did I before. I was just trying to explain the actions you were questioning, not justify them.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #11,300 of 16,931
Hey, joker, can you help me with this conundrum http://www.head-fi.org/t/678408/need-help-identifying-tri-flange-tips? I remember you were able to help me before with the meelec balanced bi-flanges. These are just great sound and fit-wise with the a161p and pretty good with the vsd1 but I don't want to swap one pair of tips between different iems all the time. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #11,301 of 16,931
Quote:
What about Canal works and Cosmic Ears BA4 (I found on innerfidelity that Cosmic Ears 4 driver model Reference is very similar to Ety).

I'm not familiar with either of those brands.

Quote:
Okay, thanks, also. Is the RE-400 the best neutral IEM I can get while still sounding good with those bitrates?

Yes, I would say it's one of the more forgiving of the IEMs I'd call "neutral". The RE-600 even more so, but also a lot more expensive. 

Quote:
The R-50 almost require different tips than the stock ones to not be sibilant. Or they require very well mastered records with singers who don't emphasize their "S"-es. But I haven't heard Re-400.

I would recommend an impedance adapter as well for the R-50.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply joker. I thought the EPH100 seemed like the best option as well. My only concern was the size of the nozzle. I use the small tips on the SHE3580, so do you think I would have fit/comfort issues?

Not sure, I don't have very small ears. I thought the tips on the EPH-100 were surprisingly comfortable vs how they look. You might want to ask in the long EPH-100 thread - surely someone with an EPH-100 has small ears.

Quote:
So then Joker, any ideas what the iem is going to be that is number 300 (!) in the review list?  Perhaps the tf10 finally :p ?

Thanks for all the help and recommendations along the way.

Good call, I haven't thought about it yet. I think my queue is currently planned out until #299 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Joker,
I asked about an alternative to the Brainwavz B2. I have since found it is very sensitive to sources IMO. Direct from my iPhone, it just hurts. But when I add in the little Fiio E6 amp, it really takes the edge off. Also the Bass Eq really does wonders for these things. 

In the mean time, I am trying the GR07 BE again (had a set before) and the Yamaha EPH-100. I am still burning in the EPH-100s. The GR07s are loaners and broken in. I must say, I prefer the sound of the EPH-100s much better. The GR07s have a little more presence at the top but do not seem nearly as coherent overall. I am not sure how to put what I am hearing but the Yamaha's just have a fuller sound. Not really in a bass-mid-treble sort of way but fuller in that they just sound more musical to my ears. And this is with all types of music. 

So for now, I am going to put some more time in this weekend but I am leaning to giving my buddy the 07s back and just keeping the Yamaha's to supplement the B2s. 

Glad you're enjoying the EPH-100 - I think that it's a very capable earphone with a uniquely easy-going sound signature. 

Quote:

Lol.

Quote:
Hey, joker, can you help me with this conundrum http://www.head-fi.org/t/678408/need-help-identifying-tri-flange-tips? I remember you were able to help me before with the meelec balanced bi-flanges. These are just great sound and fit-wise with the a161p and pretty good with the vsd1 but I don't want to swap one pair of tips between different iems all the time. 

I think you are correct - it seems to be some revision of the meelec small triple-flange tip. My newest M6 (a purple one) has the same tips. I'm sure if you send the image to meelec they'll be able to tell you how to get those.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #11,303 of 16,931
Quote:
I think you are correct - it seems to be some revision of the meelec small triple-flange tip. My newest M6 (a purple one) has the same tips. I'm sure if you send the image to meelec they'll be able to tell you how to get those.

Ah, I thought they might have been from one of the m6 or s6 that i bought for friends and they left me some of the tips but I probably just put them with the rest of my tips without looking at them and assumed they are the same as the old ones. Thanks, now I can contact meelec and get more of these.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #11,304 of 16,931
Looks like you don't have to choose between the Lime Ears LE3 and LE3B anymore - the new LE3SW incorporates a switch that swaps between the sound signatures of the more neutral LE3 and bassier LE3B models reviewed in this thread at a 50€ premium over the regular LE3. Very interesting option IMO.

http://theheadphonelist.com/category/news/ 

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #11,305 of 16,931
Guys, and/or joker, I currently have the GR02 BE in use. I work in a loud environment, and would really like as much isolation as possible. I really like IEM's that can hit sub bass well (I mainly listen dance, house, drum and bass, and dubstep)

I love the GR02's sound and it's sub bass is sufficient, but the isolation simply isn't. I have a max budget of $100. Now I read your reviews over and over again, and checked the headphone list and recommendations.

Simply put I keep ending up with the same conclusion: it's either good isolation (ba), or good bass (vented dynamic).

The only IEM's which I think are not vented and isolate well, and also offer good bass (even sub bass) are the following IEM's:

The RHA MA-350
Sony MH1C

Are there other IEM's which I've overseen and also provide great isolation and sub bass, but also better overall sound quality (soundstage and better sub, bass, mid and high seperation)?

A well isolated (sealed) in ear that offers the same sound signature as the GR02 BE would ofcourse be the best :p

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #11,306 of 16,931
Quote:
Guys, and/or joker, I currently have the GR02 BE in use. I work in a loud environment, and would really like as much isolation as possible. I really like IEM's that can hit sub bass well (I mainly listen dance, house, drum and bass, and dubstep)

I love the GR02's sound and it's sub bass is sufficient, but the isolation simply isn't. I have a max budget of $100. Now I read your reviews over and over again, and checked the headphone list and recommendations.

Simply put I keep ending up with the same conclusion: it's either good isolation (ba), or good bass (vented dynamic).

The only IEM's which I think are not vented and isolate well, and also offer good bass (even sub bass) are the following IEM's:

The RHA MA-350
Sony MH1C

Are there other IEM's which I've overseen and also provide great isolation and sub bass, but also better overall sound quality (soundstage and better sub, bass, mid and high seperation)?

A well isolated (sealed) in ear that offers the same sound signature as the GR02 BE would ofcourse be the best :p

[size=x-small]Sony MDR XB90EX have [/size][size=small]16mm[/size][size=small] driver, yamaha eph 100, gr07be[/size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #11,307 of 16,931
Quote:

The RHA MA-350
Sony MH1C

A used Yamaha EPH-100 would probably be your best option but failing that there's the Shure SE215. Dynamic driver and high isolation.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #11,308 of 16,931
Hey Joker, these PNY I'm still rocking these PNY Midtowns! They sound really good, and they're built surprisingly well. I really like the cable, and the unobtrusive mic.

are you planning on doing a double review on the uptowns and midtown? i'm still considering buying the uptown, although i'm enjoying the midtown 200 a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back