Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #10,021 of 16,931
Some wise advice there, Impulse. Thanks! The reason I brought the portable over/on the ears in the equation is that, if they offer more in terms of sound quality, I'm open to sacrifice the isolation, portability of IEM a bit. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality for the sake of ultimate portability. But ofcourse there's a sweet spot.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #10,022 of 16,931
I don't know that you can argue you'll get better sound quality out of closed portables, there's so many variables in play, tho lower end closed headphones by their very nature always make some sacrifices (just like many/most IEM do, compared to full size open headphones in either case)...

There's also a bit of a catch 22 tho in that as you sacrifice isolation then sound quality inherently suffers, or you end up blasting the volume which isn't good for long term daily use. Plus the best isolating portables also tend to be the hardest clamping (potentially less comfortable) and most closed sounding, which would be the one thing they could otherwise do much better than IEM (sound stage).

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #10,024 of 16,931
It is completely up to the individual.... Maybe you just really like the sound of over ear and dont like IEM, or the other way round.... But I would say that in actual sound quality, such as distortion etc. You get much better quality from IEM for much less money.

Also with over ear headphones there is always something which you have to sacrifice for example the HD650 have very good sound quality but no sub bass... Denon D2000 very good bass but not so good in other areas etc. A pair of IEM costing £100-£200 you can get excellent sound quality through the whole frequency range.

For an over ear headphone which is excellent through the whole frequency range you need to spend £400 or more for some top tier headphones HD800, LCD2, hifiman etc. So from my experience you get the best sound quality / value ratio from IEM....

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #10,025 of 16,931
Quote:
so soundstage is the main difference when it comes to
pure sound comparing?
(thanks for collaborating!) :)

IEM is more like it is funnelling the sound into your ear whereas good over ear headphones can do a more "out of head" soundstage that sounds like music is coming from across the room or behind you etc. Apparently some IEM such as Sennheiser IE80 are good at this as well but I have never tried them.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #10,026 of 16,931
It is completely up to the individual.... Maybe you just really like the sound of over ear and dont like IEM, or the other way round.... But I would say that in actual sound quality, such as distortion etc. You get much better quality from IEM for much less money.

Also with over ear headphones there is always something which you have to sacrifice for example the HD650 have very good sound quality but no sub bass... Denon D2000 very good bass but not so good in other areas etc. A pair of IEM costing £100-£200 you can get excellent sound quality through the whole frequency range.

For an over ear headphone which is excellent through the whole frequency range you need to spend £400 or more for some top tier headphones HD800, LCD2, hifiman etc. So from my experience you get the best sound quality / value ratio from IEM....

Unless you get the JVC HA-S500 which are easily worth £100-£150 in sound quality but only cost £35. :wink:

To me they are just as good if not better than my £100 Yamaha EPH-100.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #10,029 of 16,931
Quote:
That is just his opinion.... I doubt they actually are as good... Usually you get what you pay for with sound quality, build quality etc. Also on ears are horrible in my opinion.

I'm not going to try assigning a dollar value to them, but they definitely punch way above their weight. Quite a few people have very high opinions of them (myself included), as this thread attests to. And you can get HM5 pads for them which turn them into very comfortable over the ear headphones.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #10,030 of 16,931
are you serious? these 40$ JVC's top the 150$ Yamahas?

Yes I'm serious.

I've been playing about with both for over 6 months and I can honestly say the gap in sound quality isn't that large.

Lots of other people praise them for the ability to kill much more expensive headphones.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #10,031 of 16,931
Probably they are good yes but I take these comments with a "pinch of salt" when people say £30 headphones are as good as £150.... Would be interesting to hear them though... But I cannot stand on ears because they hurt my ears after a short amount of time... Is there an "over ear" version?

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #10,032 of 16,931
Quote:
But I cannot stand on ears because they hurt my ears after a short amount of time... They are "on ear" aren't they?

Yes, but as I mentioned above, you can get HM5 pads for them to turn them into very comfortable over the ears headphones.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #10,034 of 16,931
Quote:
Hmmm Interesting maybe I will give them a try. Where do you get the HM5 pads? Do they have a good soundstage?

I think I got them from mp4nation. They are $8.50 a piece though, so that adds to the price. I would say that the soundstage is average for close headphones. Their strength lies in a very good and impactful bass, and a nicely detailed treble. Overall an agressive and energetic, slightly V shaped signature, but the mids are still quite present. With the HM5 pads, both the bass and the treble are reduced slightly, which for me actually improves the signature (the bass is a bit much for me with the stock pads). Many people (myself included) also swear that they improve with significant burn-in, so if you do get them, keep that in mind.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #10,035 of 16,931
I might get some to replace my CAL... I am a bit skint at the moment so I am looking for bargains... Also I am interested in what sound quality can be had for cheap prices... I like the CAL but the bass on them is pretty lame. Have you compared them to the CAL by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back