Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #10,006 of 16,931
can anyone give me please a link to a impedance adapter?
i keep hearing about it, and i read it might make the MEElec A161 sound better,
but i just can't find anything on amazon/ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/271187691903?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f240bc97f&_uhb=1

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #10,007 of 16,931
Originally Posted by Amitl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

can anyone give me please a link to a impedance adapter?
i keep hearing about it, and i read it might make the MEElec A161 sound better,
but i just can't find anything on amazon/ebay

Many people, including myself, have ordered one from this vendor.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #10,010 of 16,931
Quick question |joker|. When you reviewed the Rock-It-Sounds R-50, did you try the Shure Olives on it since the nozzle is a mere 3 mm in diameter (same diameter as the barb on the SE215 nozzle)? I'm looking into getting either the R-50 for out of the house and the Somics MH463 for home or to just get the SoundMagic HP100 for listening to music wherever I am.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #10,012 of 16,931
I'm in a quandary between IEM, custom IEM and on ear portable headphone. Please help me out.

- Between IEM and custom IEM: My understanding is that its universally agreed that custom IEM is all around better in general.

- Its not so clear about C/IEM vs portable on/over the ear headphones. I've researched quite a bit and all the threads here in here discusses IEM vs full size headphones.

If you compare |joker| epic thread about IEM vs portable headphone, its evident that most expensive portable headphones can be head under ~$350. Where as the expensive IEMs are north of one grand. Does that indicative of their respective sound quality too?

Say, if I've a budget of $500 max for headphone that I want to use in my daily NYC subway commute. Which would be a best investment: a universal fit IEM, custom fit IEM (alclaire reference, 1964 Ears V3 etc) or the cream of the crop protable headphone (beyerdynamic dt1350, Sennheiser HD-25-1 II, V-MODA M100 etc)?

I'll start a new thread if thats more appropriate. I would love to hear opnions regarding this.

P.S. My music preferrence is mostly indie rock. I exclusively listen to headphones on my subway commute. I have a earsonic sm3 and vsonic gr07.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #10,013 of 16,931
Love this thread, easily the best resource on headfi imo.

Quick question. Couple weeks ago I spent couple hours scouring headfi for a value warm/midcentric IEM with solid soundstage and a bit of sparkle. Thanks to this thread I wound up with GR06 which I absolutely have been amazed with it at its price point. So much so, in fact, that I'm leaning towards crowning it as my new hiking IEM and getting something better for casual listening. I'm wondering if there's a clear step up from the GR06 with a similar sound sig, with perhaps a little more sparkle/soundstage? So far I've been looking at MDR EX600 vs JVC HA-FXT90 vs GR07 mkII. I have an SM3 that almost fits the bill, but my balanced IEMs have all really lacked that cohesive dynamic-IEM sound that I love with the GR06. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #10,014 of 16,931
Quote:
If only it was going to be cheaper I might take the chance to find out.  

Hmm... looks like $399. Is it shipping already?

Quote:
Quick question |joker|. When you reviewed the Rock-It-Sounds R-50, did you try the Shure Olives on it since the nozzle is a mere 3 mm in diameter (same diameter as the barb on the SE215 nozzle)? I'm looking into getting either the R-50 for out of the house and the Somics MH463 for home or to just get the SoundMagic HP100 for listening to music wherever I am.

Yeah, Olives work. Kind of a tight fit but not a danger to the earphones.

Quote:
I'm in a quandary between IEM, custom IEM and on ear portable headphone. Please help me out.

- Between IEM and custom IEM: My understanding is that its universally agreed that custom IEM is all around better in general.

- Its not so clear about C/IEM vs portable on/over the ear headphones. I've researched quite a bit and all the threads here in here discusses IEM vs full size headphones.

If you compare |joker| epic thread about IEM vs portable headphone, its evident that most expensive portable headphones can be head under ~$350. Where as the expensive IEMs are north of one grand. Does that indicative of their respective sound quality too?

Say, if I've a budget of $500 max for headphone that I want to use in my daily NYC subway commute. Which would be a best investment: a universal fit IEM, custom fit IEM (alclaire reference, 1964 Ears V3 etc) or the cream of the crop protable headphone (beyerdynamic dt1350, Sennheiser HD-25-1 II, V-MODA M100 etc)?

I'll start a new thread if thats more appropriate. I would love to hear opnions regarding this.

P.S. My music preferrence is mostly indie rock. I exclusively listen to headphones on my subway commute. I have a earsonic sm3 and vsonic gr07.

Not everyone agrees that customs are always better but no matter..

I have not tried any of the current crop of portable headphones (Momentum, etc). I prefer my customs to the portables I do have (such as the M-80 and HD25) but those are cheaper as well. There are very expensive portables I have not tried, such as Ultrasone's Edition line and the Beyer T5p.

Anyway, if you want to be totally isolated from your surroundings, then custom IEM is definitely the way to go. If you like the GR07 more, go for the Alclair Reference. If you like the SM3 better but wish it had more bass and treble, go for the 1964-V3.

Quote:
Love this thread, easily the best resource on headfi imo.

Quick question. Couple weeks ago I spent couple hours scouring headfi for a value warm/midcentric IEM with solid soundstage and a bit of sparkle. Thanks to this thread I wound up with GR06 which I absolutely have been amazed with it at its price point. So much so, in fact, that I'm leaning towards crowning it as my new hiking IEM and getting something better for casual listening. I'm wondering if there's a clear step up from the GR06 with a similar sound sig, with perhaps a little more sparkle/soundstage? So far I've been looking at MDR EX600 vs JVC HA-FXT90 vs GR07 mkII. I have an SM3 that almost fits the bill, but my balanced IEMs have all really lacked that cohesive dynamic-IEM sound that I love with the GR06. Any thoughts?
Thanks

The GR07 would be very good except that its mids are not as forward as those of the GR06. The FXT90's are, but it has more bass than the GR06 and is not quite as refined overall as the GR07.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #10,015 of 16,931
Added a short write-up for new Sunrise Ray DAC/Amp: http://www.head-fi.org/t/660291/short-review-sunrise-audio-ray-excellent-portable-dac-amp . I don't usually take the time off from headphone reviews but this is a very enjoyable little unit, and tempting as a replacement for my iBasso D10, which has been my main source for years despite its various quirks. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #10,016 of 16,931
Quote:
thanks for the links!
should i be specific about the ohm for the MEElec A161
or is 75ohm good?

According to this an impedance adapter should be bad for the a161p
elect.png

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/04/meelectronics-a161p.html

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #10,018 of 16,931

I think you're focusing a bit too much on pricing tiers... That being said, if I was riding the subway every single day I'd be wearing IEM (custom or otherwise), no question about it. The isolation factor's just a lot more effective, and they're more conspicuous or easy to stow.

I don't find IEM terribly uncomfortable in general tho, even my Etys, which I guess are about as invasive it gets (tho I'm also considering getting custom tips for them). I wear IEM when I need the isolation, when I exercise, or when I need something pocketable... Between those three scenarios I spend enough time with my IEM stuffed in my ears so I reach for my M-80 when I don't want to be quite as isolated or for when I expect to be needing to take them off often (and I wear full size headphones at home because they're just more comfortable and open headphones are hard to beat, specially for gaming).

If I was you I'd figure out what'd you like to improve upon with the GR07 or SM3 and go from there, but I wouldn't go for on ears or any other kind of portable if your main use for them is riding the subway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back