Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #9,991 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker! I need some advice! I'm getting a birthday present for a friend, and I've narrowed it down to the Astrotec Am-90, Dunu Trident or GR02. Which one would you recommend? My friend isn't really an audiophile, so she wouldn't be too picky or detailed about the sound. She generally likes night core and pop.

You probably don't want to buy an armature-based earphone, then. As for the other two, the GR02 has that "wow" factor because of its v-shaped signature, with plenty of bass but also very prominent treble that most novice listeners will take for fantastic clarity. The Trident is more on the warm and smooth side, it will probably remind them more of their (older relative's) Bose set. The Trident also wows with its construction and overall presentation - it looks and feels like a higher-end product. If you're not too worried about all that, for pop I would probably go GR02. But really, either would be a great choice. 

Quote:
Joker, which iem below U$ 120.00 has a sound signature more like the 1964 V3?

Interesting question... probably the JVC FXT90 in terms of overall signature and presentation. 

Quote:

Indeed mate!

Btw, I got the SoundMAGIC E10 about a week ago now on your recommendation and they sound really good with EDM as well. Thanks for your input!

I got them at a steal price as well from MP4Nation, £16 shipped which is around $24. Wicked deal! 
size]

Good price! 

Quote:
Greetings.
I had been to a Shure dealer today in my city for se 215. He told me that he had only 1 in stock . As soon as he gave me the box I noticed that the box had been messed around with. He went ahead to make the bill and immediately I requested that I needed to check those out . I found that the foam tips were deformed and hence requested for a new set of IEM.
I have a few questions in mind..
Does the pack have a seal like the ones found in cell phone box?
Does the connector swivel with ease.. I mean are they that loose?
I read in a head fi post that the connectors are copper plated and oxidise quickly and hence the sound cut.
Although I have booked these I would still love to have all these doubts cleared.
And one important point, these were manufactured in June 2012. So connector problems may have been resolved?

Unfortunately I don't take photos of packaging and I really don't remember what SE215 packaging looked like. June 2012 should be fine, though - supposedly the issues were solved soon after I wrote my review, which was back in 2011.

The connectors do swivel pretty easily so that really doesn't you anything. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #9,993 of 16,931
This is an excellent resource for finding the right IEM... I think that IEM you get a lot more sound for your money compared to headphones... In sound quality a pair of £100 IEM is better than pretty much any headphones under £300.... Except for maybe comfort and soundstage.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #9,995 of 16,931
Apr 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #9,996 of 16,931
Hey guys, I'm in the market for some IEMs $150 and below. I got recommended the EX-600's, because my priority was for piano/ orchestral music, and I would favor in the timbre and note presentation. The point of reference for me is the B2's, which are absolutely wonderful sounding, although the note presentation seems to be a little lean for me to call realistic, and I'd like something with a slightly more tame treble. Would an IEM that is (slightly) on the darker side of neutral suit my needs? The IEMs i am looking at are the HA-FXT90, TDK BA200s, RE-400s, SM2s, and the EX-600, My price strecher is the GR01, if the difference to the B2s is quite a bit. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #9,997 of 16,931
I would say RE -400 or SE215, or Fidelio S1

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #9,998 of 16,931
Quote:
This is an excellent resource for finding the right IEM... I think that IEM you get a lot more sound for your money compared to headphones... In sound quality a pair of £100 IEM is better than pretty much any headphones under £300.... Except for maybe comfort and soundstage.

beerchug.gif

Quote:
SM3 if you can get it under 300, or else it would be SM2 I guess

Agree.

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm in the market for some IEMs $150 and below. I got recommended the EX-600's, because my priority was for piano/ orchestral music, and I would favor in the timbre and note presentation. The point of reference for me is the B2's, which are absolutely wonderful sounding, although the note presentation seems to be a little lean for me to call realistic, and I'd like something with a slightly more tame treble. Would an IEM that is (slightly) on the darker side of neutral suit my needs? The IEMs i am looking at are the HA-FXT90, TDK BA200s, RE-400s, SM2s, and the EX-600, My price strecher is the GR01, if the difference to the B2s is quite a bit. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

The RE-400 would be a good one, or the RE262 if you can still find one. From Philips both the Fidelio S1 and S2 would work. I think the S2 is a little warmer-sounding overall so it might be better for you. I would not recommend the GR01 as it's probably not different enough from the B2, or the SM2/FXT90 because they may be too different. No experience with the BA200. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #10,004 of 16,931
Quote:

I disagree.

My £34 JVC HA-S500 are just as good if not better than the Yamaha EPH-100 which I bought for £100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back