Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 14, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #9,976 of 16,931
if the Yamaha EPH100 had the RockIt 50 housing and cable, i'd buy it
i just don't get why don't most IEM manufacturers solve the micrphonics thing already
by doing what RockIt Sounds is doing!!

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #9,977 of 16,931
i just don't get why don't most IEM manufacturers solve the micrphonics thing already

Seriously?

Yamaha has even better Housing! I see the R50s as rubbery pieces of plastic death, and if I saw someone with them I wouldn't be giddy that I don't have them. Which is a different story with the Yamaha.

Oh and the reason not all earphones are like the R50s (gladly), its because not everyone wants to wear them over the ear.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,979 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks Joker,

I appreciate the recommendation.  I'm leaning toward the EPH-100 right now.  What would you think of the MTPG vs. the EPH-100?  I only ask because I see the MTPG is $150 on Amazon right now (and is Prime eligible).

I would take the EPH-100 still. The MTPG won't be as tight and controlled when it comes to bass and has few other advantages over the EPH-100. 

Quote:
can anyone please explain to me...why would
anyone go for a 150$ BA IEM instead of a 150$ Dynamic IEM?
i don't have any experience with BA but i understand
then generally if you go for BA you get some sibilance and lack of bass,
but if you go for dynamic you get more bass and less sibilance and harshness.
i mean...do some people just dont like the bass?
sorry for being naive maybe
im not talking about overpowering bass.
i mean, for example :
why would anyone chose the VSonic GR01 over the Yamaha EPH100?
the Yamaha has more bass and less chance of harshness....

I would choose the GR01 over the EPH100 most of the time. For me the EPH-100 has more bass than I need, to the point of not being entirely true to the recording, while the GR01 is more in line with what I want to hear. It's also hugely incorrect to say all BA IEMs are sibilant and lack bass, but that's another story.

Quote:
Just wanna say the Yamaha EPH100 are amazing. Anyone who buys them and enjoys their electronic music won't be disappointed.

Agreed, they are a very good match for EDM. 

Quote:
Seeing as I haven't bought much earphones since I got the JH5 things have certainly changed. I was thinking about getting a universal as my S4 died. I was thinking the $200-300 range and looking at Amazon there's the W3 and the SM2 from Earsonics. Are those still good options or has the quality gone up since then? The signature I'm looking for is more towards the W3 kind of signature however but never heard an Earsonics so not sure how that would go really.

I don't think you will like the SM2 - it's warm, thick, and smooth. More UM3X than W3, really. The W3 is a much better match for the S4 type signature. 

Quote:
Well, a little bit punchier and faster bass would work for me, as well as more treble quantity, but again - just a little bit. Do you think the hifiman re-400 is a safer choice for me? And what about soundstage? Thanks again!

The RE-400 doesn't have more bass than the E30. The Philips Fidelio S1 does and would be a good choice. It has a wider soundstage much like the E30. The FXT90 has even more bass and treble than that and its presentation has better depth. The FXD80 from JVC would be another good option with less bass than the FXT90 but you lose some of the midrange presence with that.

Quote:
Just curious... How does the CK10 stack up against more recent models of IEMs? Is it still relevant?

It's been discontinued so it doesn't really matter but its score is worth no less now than it was two years ago. You can see how it stacks up in the chart. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #9,980 of 16,931
geko95gek: the yamahas are prettier, i agree, but that doesnt mean much.
Joker: which earphone is your recommendation for death/black/doom/extreme metal?
          (with no sibilance/harshness) :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #9,981 of 16,931
Quote:

I specifically chose not to buy the R50 for the sole purpose of its untrustworthy build quality. I've seen people saying that the cable you very much praise splits and starts tearing off the housing after only a couple of months.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #9,982 of 16,931
Quote:
I specifically chose not to buy the R50 for the sole purpose of its untrustworthy build quality. I've seen people saying that the cable you very much praise splits and starts tearing off the housing after only a couple of months.

I don't think the R-50 is built badly (average).  The real problem is how uncomfortable the cable is.  I have no problem wearing my cables over the ear, the R-50 is an exception with the worst memory wire I've encountered.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #9,983 of 16,931
Quote:
geko95gek: the yamahas are prettier, i agree, but that doesnt mean much.
Joker: which earphone is your recommendation for death/black/doom/extreme metal?
          (with no sibilance/harshness) :)

I don't really listen to that sort of thing except for Agalloch, some older Opeth, and whatever Katatonia/Paradise Lost albums fall under those labels. I'm happy with a neutral sound (etys and the like) for these.

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #9,984 of 16,931
Hey Joker! I need some advice! I'm getting a birthday present for a friend, and I've narrowed it down to the Astrotec Am-90, Dunu Trident or GR02. Which one would you recommend? My friend isn't really an audiophile, so she wouldn't be too picky or detailed about the sound. She generally likes night core and pop.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #9,986 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker! I need some advice! I'm getting a birthday present for a friend, and I've narrowed it down to the Astrotec Am-90, Dunu Trident or GR02. Which one would you recommend? My friend isn't really an audiophile, so she wouldn't be too picky or detailed about the sound

just to save you some time, he might ask you your friend's music preference

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #9,987 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker,

I've been using the Brainwavz M2 on a daily basis and really enjoy their sound.  As with all things I enjoy I find I'm ready to upgrade.  I probably have more classic consumer sensibilities and after reading your reviews have narrowed down the field to about a dozen iems (including a couple of customs).  I'm tentatively setting a $500-$600 limit since this is more about comparison and less about paradigm.  I'd ultimately like to get a good BA and dynamic since I need to hear both to truly appreciate the difference.  I liked your comment about fully appreciating the Miracle due to sheer experience with everything else.

I know there's no direct correlation but I really enjoy my Denon AH-D5000 at home since it's so capable of handling any additional bass I EQ into it but also sounds great without it.  On the other hand my K702s just can't live up to the bass impact I like and the sound level really degrades when I push them with an EQ.  The have great clarity but I only plug them in when I want to remember why I'm not as excited by them.  (I'd love to get my hands on the LCD-2 but that's another story for another day.)

I use my M2s on a daily basis with my iPhone 4S and my Digizoid ZO2.  I really prefer the warmth provided by that mini EQ booster.  I also tend to use the Equalizer app and push the lower frequencies even higher.  I find the M2 is quite capable of handling my combined EQing and doesn't sound particularly muddy with the boost to my ears.  I'm afraid if I start with something boomy/muddy I'll have less flexibility for the tracks that I drop to a flat EQ.  However I have no desire for the ability to reach a completely analytical sound so I'm good with something that's warm with a flat EQ.  I listen primarily to very melodic metal and enjoy the strong (not recessed) mids of the M2.  I'd like to have a good level of detail for some of the more intricate guitar solos.  I also like the fit/isolation with the M2.  I'd like something that doesn't necessarily need to be loud to sound good.  I generally listen in the office so I keep the volume at low/medium listening levels so that I can hear the phone ring.

Based on all of that would you have any suggestion(s)?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here's a picture of one of my usual EQ settings for the M2s with the Equalizer app.

which eq app is that?

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #9,988 of 16,931
Quote:
Agreed, they are a very good match for EDM. 

Indeed mate!

Btw, I got the SoundMAGIC E10 about a week ago now on your recommendation and they sound really good with EDM as well. Thanks for your input!

I got them at a steal price as well from MP4Nation, £16 shipped which is around $24. Wicked deal! 
size]

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #9,989 of 16,931
Greetings.
I had been to a Shure dealer today in my city for se 215. He told me that he had only 1 in stock . As soon as he gave me the box I noticed that the box had been messed around with. He went ahead to make the bill and immediately I requested that I needed to check those out . I found that the foam tips were deformed and hence requested for a new set of IEM.
I have a few questions in mind..
Does the pack have a seal like the ones found in cell phone box?
Does the connector swivel with ease.. I mean are they that loose?
I read in a head fi post that the connectors are copper plated and oxidise quickly and hence the sound cut.
Although I have booked these I would still love to have all these doubts cleared.
And one important point, these were manufactured in June 2012. So connector problems may have been resolved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back