Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #9,871 of 16,931
Quote:
Is it smaller than the eph-100? It looks very much like the eph-100 in design, just worried I will have the same fit issues.

It's smaller, especially the nozzle. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #9,873 of 16,931
Added the Astrotec DX-60 and AM-800

Quote:
(3B38) Astrotec DX-60

Added Mar 2013

Details: Entry-level headset featuring flat cables and 13.5mm drivers
Current Price: $20 from lendmurears.com (MSRP: est $20)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 110 dB | Freq: 20-18k Hz | Cable: 3.9' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: stock single-flanges, MEElec M6 bi-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down

Accessories (2.5/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes) and TRRS smartphone adapter
Build Quality (3.5/5) – In contrast to Astrotec’s higher-end sets, the DX-60 is mostly plastic save for some metal inserts with the Astrotec logo. The two-tone flat cables are tangle-resistant and feels trong but the strain reliefs are stiff and there’s no sliding cable cinch
Isolation (2/5) – Low due to the shallow fit
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Very low in the textured flat cable
Comfort (4/5) – The plastic housings are ergonomically designed for cable-down wear. They’re a little big due to the 13.5mm drivers but overall quite manageable. Those with smaller ears may have trouble with the cable exit point at the bottom of the housings.

Sound (4.9/10) – Astrotec’s entry-level in-ear pursues a consumer-friendly sound signature that reminds me of Sennheiser’s now-defunct CX300. The mid-bass of the DX-60 is hyped up to the point of overshadowing parts of the midrange and draws attention away from the rather good subbass. The low end is boomy, but I wouldn’t call the DX-60 a bass monster – it’s not as bassy as the JVC FX101, for example. Instead, it competes with the likes of the MEElectronics M9 and UE100, though it lacks deep bass emphasis compared to the former and control compared to the latter. Next to Astrotec’s higher-end AM-800 model, too, the DX-60 clearly sounds bloated and sloppy at the low end.

The midrange of the DX-60 lacks some clarity due to the uncontrolled bass but has a pleasant smoothness to it. Despite the slight veil, the mids sound more open and natural than the recessed mids of the MEElec M9 or the more congested midrange of the UE100. The treble of the DX-60 is not as energetic as I would have liked, which enhances the warm and bass-heavy character of the earphone but also makes it very forgiving of poor source material. It’s not as harsh as the MEElec M9, for example, and remains less critical of poor-quality recordings than Astrotec’s higher-end AM-800 model. With its shallow-sealing housings, the presentation of the DX-60 is also surprisingly “big” and uncongested. Aside from the mid-bass bloat the only issue seems to be a relative lack of depth. Expectedly, the higher-end AM-800 has far better imaging, but for the price the DX-60 isn’t half bad.

Value (7.5/10) – While not as refined in sound or design as Astrotec’s higher-end in-ears, the DX-60 is an affordable smartphone headset with a warm, easy-going sound signature. It competes well against similarly-priced headsets from the likes of Soundmagic and MEElectronics, especially impressing with its noise-free, tangle-resistant flat cable.

Pros: Almost no cable noise; ergonomic design
Cons: Lacks clarity; low isolation

Quote:
(2C55) Astrotec AM-800

Added Mar 2013

Details: Beautiful wood-and-metal earphone from Astrotec
Current Price: $65 from lendmurears.com (MSRP: est $65)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 112 dB | Freq: 8-27k Hz | Cable: 3.9' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), foam eartips, and soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The housings of the AM-800 are an extremely handsome combination of brushed metal and lacquered wood, with fit and finish deserving of a much higher price point. The cable is more plasticky and memory-prone than the excellent rubberized cord used on the AM-90 model but still resists tangling well and feels sturdy. The strain reliefs, too, are supple enough to inspire confidence in the construction
Isolation (2.5/5) – Average due to the shallow fit and vented design
Microphonics (4/5) – Decent when worn cable-down; nonexistent otherwise
Comfort (4/5) – The wood-and-metal housings are surprisingly lightweight and designed for a shallow fit. Comfort is very good with both silicone and foam tips

Sound (7.8/10) – While the cheaper DX-60 is a passable-yet-forgettable entry-level headset, the AM-800 leaves the lasting impression of a solid all-around performer. It pursues a mildly v-shaped signature with punchy bass and bright treble. The low end is similar to that of the VSonic GR06 – slightly above neutral in quantity, but far from overbearing. There is less impact and subbass depth compared to the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition but better control compared to the Brainwavz M5 and the lower-end Astrotec DX-60, with the latter sounding downright sloppy in comparison to the AM-800.

The bass is quick enough that midrange bleed is a non-issue, and the overall balance is better than with many competing sets. The AM-800 is less mid-recessed than the GR02 Bass Edition and MEElec CC51, for example. The mids are clear and open-sounding, making competitors such as the Brainwavz M5 appear a little veiled and congested in comparison. The treble of the AM-800 is smoother and less sibilant compared to the GR02 Bass Edition but can still get a touch harsh next to some higher-end sets. There is more treble energy than with sets such as the Brainwavz M5—a good thing in my book—and top-end extension is good as well.

The presentation of the AM-800 is on the large side, with an airy, out-of-the head feel. It is a little wider and more spacious than the VSonic GR02BE and similar to the GR06, albeit with a touch less depth. The treble extension helps, as does the lack of congestion typically caused by mid-bass bloat. Overall, while the AM-800 doesn’t quite have the imaging of higher-end sets, it is more than capable enough for its price bracket.

Value (9/10) – The AM-800 is one of the best-looking earphones I’ve come across in a long time, but it’s more than just a pretty face. Average isolation aside, the AM-800 is the total package – well-made, comfortable, and plenty good-sounding. The clear, mildly v-shaped sound puts the performance of the AM-800 in good company with the likes of the ECCI PR401 and VSonic GR06. All in all, there’s really not much to complain about here – the AM-800 is a great mid-range earphone for both first-time IEM users and those seeking to upgrade from an entry-level model.

Pros: Great aesthetics; well-built; impressive sound quality
Cons: Mediocre isolation

Quote:
Joker, would you say that it is more worthwhile upgrading a decent source (ipod touch 4g) or upgrading a budget amp (e6)? I had purchased an e11 but I want to be sure it was a worthwhile choice.

I'm not familiar with the current generation of Fiio amps. For me the headphone/earphone is much more important than the amp/dap and as long as you've got something decent for a source the rip/source file quality is more important as well. If you've got something that benefits from amping in one way or another, then the amp becomes more important. I suppose the E6 is already better than the headphone out of the touch 4G, which should be good enough for most IEMs. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #9,874 of 16,931
Hi Joker, what is your opinion on the Philips SHE8000 IEM? I have found them on sale - they are usually £24.99 ($38.00) but are currently half price in the store I will be using. Thanks!

EDIT: Regarding my question, how would the Philips SHE8000 compare to the Sennheiser CX160? I am leaning more toward the Sennheisers... Thanks!

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #9,876 of 16,931
Quote:
Well, just like joker says it's about average. Instrument separation and positioning is good but because of the treble roll off it isn't particularly airy. It's more of an intimate sounding iem, which I like but if you want a very airy and grand sounding presentation you might be disappointed. It boils down to personal preference but the A161P is still a very competent iem soundstage-wise

Well, I ordered them while the sale was on.  I've been wanting to experience them anyway. This will be IEM number five that I've purchased since joining Head-Fi.  Still haven't found a favorite but they have all been under $100 and they each have their pluses and minuses.

JJ

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #9,877 of 16,931
Quote:

Well, I ordered them while the sale was on.  I've been wanting to experience them anyway. This will be IEM number five that I've purchased since joining Head-Fi.  Still haven't found a favorite but they have all been under $100 and they each have their pluses and minuses.

JJ

Well, I hope you like it. Sometimes it's hard to find the right sound for you, so it's always a good idea to try several sub-$100 iems before going for the higher-end stuff. The a161p is often my iem for commuting, which was previously my B2's job.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #9,878 of 16,931
Thanks for the Astrotec reviews.  For the money I'm very pleased with my AM90 (fantastic cord, Astrotec should use it for all their products).  I was considering the AM-800 as a possible gym option but the lack of isolation makes it a pass.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #9,879 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker, what is your opinion on the Philips SHE8000 IEM? I have found them on sale - they are usually £24.99 ($38.00) but are currently half price in the store I will be using. Thanks!

EDIT: Regarding my question, how would the Philips SHE8000 compare to the Sennheiser CX160? I am leaning more toward the Sennheisers... Thanks!

Sorry, never heard the SHE8000. Philips has tons of IEMs but I've only tried a handful so far. 

Quote:
thanks for the reviews. i liked reading about the AM800. 
any plan on reviewing the new ECCI´s PR200 mk2 and PR300 mk2 ?

Thanks! The ECCIs look interesting but no plans to try them at this time.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #9,880 of 16,931
Ah, no problem Joker! I bought the SHE8000 IEMs today and so far they are very, very good for the price I paid.

If I may, would you mind me posting a small review of them in the format you have used in your first post? (Accessories, Microphonics, Isolation etc.) If you don't want me to, that's fine with me - just trying to help you out. :)

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #9,882 of 16,931
Hi joker, thanks for the great work!

I'm currently looking to upgrade my current set of IEM (Soundmagic E30), and the top two contenders are Etymotic HF5 ($120) and MEElectronics A161p ($100).
I'm not satisfied with the E30 at all. Isolation and comfort are just about OK, although sound quality is reasonable. I enjoyed my Soundmagic PL50 much more.

Which of the above two IEMs would you recommend? What is the main difference between them. My priorities are Isolation & comfort, and obviously sound quality.

Thanks again!

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #9,883 of 16,931
Quote:
Ah, no problem Joker! I bought the SHE8000 IEMs today and so far they are very, very good for the price I paid.

If I may, would you mind me posting a small review of them in the format you have used in your first post? (Accessories, Microphonics, Isolation etc.) If you don't want me to, that's fine with me - just trying to help you out. :)

Well, I don't own this format but I really only use it to conserve space on the front page of the thread. When I post separate reviews, I use a more fleshed-out style.

Quote:
Which of our of these two sound more enveloping(3D), the RE-400, GR06, or the GR04?

I haven't heard the GR04 but the RE-400 has a broader presentation than the GR06. The GR06 sounds more enveloping but the difference isn't large.

Quote:
Hi joker, thanks for the great work!

I'm currently looking to upgrade my current set of IEM (Soundmagic E30), and the top two contenders are Etymotic HF5 ($120) and MEElectronics A161p ($100).
I'm not satisfied with the E30 at all. Isolation and comfort are just about OK, although sound quality is reasonable. I enjoyed my Soundmagic PL50 much more.

Which of the above two IEMs would you recommend? What is the main difference between them. My priorities are Isolation & comfort, and obviously sound quality.

Thanks again!

The HF5 isolates slightly more than the A161P IMO. Comfort is comparable - the MEElec has angled nozzles but they really don't make a difference because both earphones are so small. Sound-wise, the A161P has more bass while the HF5 remains flatter through the treble. The Ety is a little more balanced IMO, but they are both clear, detailed, and close to neutral. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #9,884 of 16,931
Hi there,

I owh a pair of GR04 Flagship Edition and they sound very good except for sibilance, I listen to many old recordings (mostly classic rock) and it's annoying, where can I get similar SQ without sibilance?
I had:
Soundmagic PL30 - good mids, open sound but that's about it
Brainwavz M1 - very good overall, not so good bass and trebble extension
Brainwavz M4 - very proeminent ~10KHz frequency, strange v-shape curve, didn't like it
Astrotec AM-90 - good sounding but FLAT
Vsonic GR02 Bass - better than the M1 but can't stand sibilance and a little too v-shape
Shure SE215 - didn't listen much but very good overall, trebble extension not so good
Vsonic GR04 - best sounding but can't stand sibilance

What I am searching for: SE215 with trebble, GR04 without sibilance, M1 with better everything :D

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #9,885 of 16,931
Hello!
is the ShureSE215 / Shure SE215 LTD cable smartphone friendly?
it seems rather fat
and also..is the sound still competitive after all this time since they were released?
i'm really looking for an IEM in this price range that offers
a very secure fit with minimal microphonics and punchy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back