Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #8,866 of 16,931
Quote:
I too would love to know Joker's take on the Sony MH1C. This is mainly because I purchased the RE-ZEROs based on your review in which you called them warm. Maybe they are warm for an analytical IEM but to my ears they sounded thin and hallow (though man where you right about the detail and the highs). Would love to know what you think about them. I'm guessing they get an 8.0 :wink:

I also totally agree with your short assessment of the Brainwavz R1. 

I have the Vsonic GR02 and GR04, the MH1C is far warmer than either.
I'm hanging on to them just so that Joker can try them, they're far too warm for my tastes.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #8,867 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey,
Currently, I've been using my friend's Yamaha EPH-100, but I'll soon have to return those to him. In the mean time, I've been looking at some IEM's to purchase. I quite enjoy the sound signature of the EPH-100, would IEM's such as the Miles Davis Trumpets ($149 from Monster) or Ortofon e-Q5 be a step up from the EPH-100 with a similar sound signature, or should I just jump up and get a pair of Westone 4? I'm particularly interested in the Trumpets at the moment.
Thanks!

I referenced the EPH-100 a bit in the Miles Davis Trumpet review. The scores should tell you that I think they are about equal in sound quality, just somewhat different in signature. The e-Q5 is more balanced, neutral, and refined. If you want a flatter sound go for the Ortofons. Otherwise, stick with one of the dynamics. 

Quote:
I have the Vsonic GR02 and GR04, the MH1C is far warmer than either.
I'm hanging on to them just so that Joker can try them, they're far too warm for my tastes.

I had no idea you were keeping them just for me 
redface.gif
. If you don't want them I'll gladly borrow them or buy them off you for when i do finally have time to give them a listen..

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #8,868 of 16,931
Quote:
I had no idea you were keeping them just for me 
redface.gif
. If you don't want them I'll gladly borrow them or buy them off you for when i do finally have time to give them a listen..

Either way, we can figure that out when you get to them, I'm not too worried. I am moving in June, so all of my non-essential gear will go then, but other than that, take your time.

Also, I know my girlfriend would like these, if and when her GR99s ever break.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #8,869 of 16,931
Added Rock-It Sounds R-50

Quote:
(2B21) Rock-It Sounds R-50

Added Nov 2012

Details: Dual BA earphone from Rock-It Sounds
Current Price: $120 from rockitsounds.com (MSRP: $119.99)
Specs: Driver: dual BA | Imp: 31Ω | Sens: 110 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 4.2' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 3mm | Preferred tips: Etymotic triple-flanges, Stock single-flanges; Klipsch bi-flanges, Shure gray flex
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), airline adapter, and clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The R-50 utilizes plastic housings with a soft rubber sheath on the outside. Two inches of memory wire and a twisted cable identical to those found on the Rock-It R-20 and R-30 complete the picture. The memory wire is quite inflexible and makes the housings feel more fragile than they really are. Care should be taken when handling the joint between the memory wire and housing
Isolation (4/5) – Isolation is good even though only single-flange tips are included. Aftermarket triple-flange tips and a deep insertion help further
Microphonics (5/5) – Cable noise is nonexistent with the excellent twisted cable
Comfort (4.5/5) – The housings are small and designed for an over-the-ear fit. The nozzles are long enough to achieve a comfortable seal and the overall design is lightweight and unobtrusive. The memory wire has more memory than most

Sound (9.2/10) – The R-50 is based on the familiar Knowles TWFK dual armature driver, which puts in good company with the likes of the Ultimate Ears 700 and VSonic GR01. While not exactly unique in sound signature, the R-50 is one of the better-tuned TWFKs I’ve come across, and also one of the most reasonably-priced.

The sound signature of the R-50 is a balanced one. Starting with the low end the R-50 pursues accuracy. The bass is lean, punchy, linear, and extended, with much less mid-bass presence and than the lower-end R-30 model. The single-armature MEElec A161P has a similarly flat bass presentation but offers more punch and power than the R-50 at the expense of some of the refinement. The Audio-Technica CK10 and Etymotic ER4S are more similar to the R-50 with a hair less mid-bass providing them with even flatter bass presentations. On the whole, while those looking for rumbly sub-bass or thick, full-bodied impact won’t find it in the R-50, fans of clean and accurate bass will be pleased.

The midrange of the R-50 is near the top of the food chain when it comes to clarity and fine detailing, vastly improving on the lower-end R-30. It helps that the low end never intrudes and the note presentation is lean and crisp. The tone is quite neutral as well - the R-50 makes both the MEElec A161P and VSonic GR07 sound warm in comparison. Some may complain that it tends towards a thinner note presentation but it’s really no worse than the original Fischer Audio DBA-02 in that respect.

Moving on up, the R-50 continues to yield no real surprises. In typical TWFK fashion, the treble boasts plenty of energy. It is crisp and sparkly, but not particularly forgiving. Some treble peaks can be discerned but sound tamer with Etymotic triple-flange tips and a deeper seal, or an inline impedance adapter. With single-flange tips the R-50 can be a touch sibilant compared, for example, to the Etymotic ER4S, but not as offensive as the VSonic GR07 can be. Top-end extension is good and the presentation is quite airy. Soundstage size is impressive – the width and depth are above average and the imaging is not too far behind the venerable Audio-Technica CK10. Soundstage width is reminiscent of the VSonic GR07 but the R-50 boasts better depth. Instrument separation is excellent as well.

Select Comparisons:

Rock-It Sounds R-30 ($70)

The R-50 is not the only high bang-per-buck earphone in Rock-It Sounds’ lineup – the single-armature R-30 sounds good enough at $70 to compete with many pricier earphones. It falls far short of the flagship, however, with sound that is not nearly as clear or as refined as that of the R-50. The mid-bass of the single-armature is boosted, which results in a warmer, muddier sound less revealing of fine detail. The note presentation is fuller and softer compared to the R-50 but the overall balance is lacking. Treble energy suffers, as does top-end extension, and the presentation is more intimate and closed-in. Compared to the R-50, the single-armature model sounds congested, lacking both the excellent separation and 3-D imaging of the R-50.

Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII ($178)

The second generation of Fischer’s bang-per-buck champion improved largely on the construction and aesthetics of the previous model, but also gained an interesting sound signature that contrasts well with the R-50. Keeping in mind that both earphones use Knowles TWFK dual armature drivers, it’s the little differences that differentiate the two. Compared to the Rock-It R-50, the DBA-02 mkII boasts a slightly bassier, warmer, and more colored sound signature that makes it better-suited for the average consumer. The R-50 sounds slightly thinner and flatter, has a larger and more spacious presentation, and beats the mkII in treble energy. It is a bit more transparent and revealing, but also less forgiving compared to the smoother Fischers.

HiFiMan RE272 ($250)

HiFiMan’s flagship is delivers well-balanced and highly refined sound courtesy of a single dynamic driver. Compared to the dual BA-powered R-50, the RE272 generally sounds slightly softer and fuller of note. Its bass, while not as crisp and punchy, decays more naturally and its treble is smoother and more forgiving. The R-50, on the other hand, is crisper and a hair more grainy. Its tone is brighter, with added treble energy which also makes the sound appear a touch clearer. The treble of the R-50 is less forgiving, however, and the earphones sometimes come across sounding hot and spitty compared to the R272.

Ultimate Ears 900 ($400)

Ultimate Ears’ new flagship is the latest and greatest in balanced armature technology, with four drivers per side providing exceptionally smooth sound. Compared to the UE900, the R-50 boasts a brighter tone with less bass emphasis and more treble energy. It has a thinner note presentation but provides better midrange clarity and more intelligible vocals. Unfortunately, the treble is also splashier and more prone to exaggerating sibilance. The UE900, on the other hand, is smoother and carries more lower midrange emphasis for fuller, throatier vocals. Its bass is deeper and significantly more powerful, though also a touch boomy in comparison. Both earphones have similarly spacious soundstages with good depth and width.

Value (10/10) – Rock-It Sounds’ flagship capitalizes on some of the best traits of a dual balanced armature setup – tiny size, high efficiency, good detail and clarity, and an extended, well-balanced response. It offers great comfort, low microphonics, and a clean, transparent sound that puts many pricier products to shame. Best of all, it’s just as good a value at $120 as Rock-It’s lower-end models are at their respective price points.

Pros: Tiny & comfortable form factor; excellent cable; great BA sound
Cons: Seems to perform best with aftermarket tips

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #8,871 of 16,931
Didn't expect the R-50 review to come out. Thanks for the review, joker :). They sound great for the price.

On another note, my second hand R-50 recently broke on on side despite being babied quite a bit. I think the drivers might be affected by moisture. It doesn't help that Rock-it has one of the more complicated warranty claim procedures.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #8,872 of 16,931
Hi Joker, thanks for the R-50 review, based on the comparisons part, what would be the SQ rate of DBA-02 mkII ?

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #8,873 of 16,931
r50 looks awesome man and the price is really low . thanks man . been waiting for this one . i wonder if you can do a ah-c260 .

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #8,874 of 16,931
Nice review on the R-50. However I ending up buying the BA200 instead as the R-50 proved to be a bit too harsh for me. And yes I do agree that the R-50 is awesome at its price though.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #8,876 of 16,931
Without moving much in price (whether up or down), what would be your recommendation of one falls into the category of
"those looking for rumbly sub-bass or thick, full-bodied impact" who also find the treble on the brainwavz b2 bright?

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #8,877 of 16,931
Quote:
Wow, great, thanks for the R-50 review, now easy to flatten out my buying choices :D

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Didn't expect the R-50 review to come out. Thanks for the review, joker :). They sound great for the price.

On another note, my second hand R-50 recently broke on on side despite being babied quite a bit. I think the drivers might be affected by moisture. It doesn't help that Rock-it has one of the more complicated warranty claim procedures.

Balanced armatures in general don't like moisture. It's why they sell hearing aid dryers.

Quote:
Hi Joker, thanks for the R-50 review, based on the comparisons part, what would be the SQ rate of DBA-02 mkII ?

The DBA-02 mkII is in the thread - review # 2A25. It's also right next to the R-50 in the summary table. 

Quote:
r50 looks awesome man and the price is really low . thanks man . been waiting for this one . i wonder if you can do a ah-c260 .

After the AH-C360 I don't really want to try any more Denon
frown.gif

Quote:
Nice review on the R-50. However I ending up buying the BA200 instead as the R-50 proved to be a bit too harsh for me. And yes I do agree that the R-50 is awesome at its price though.

For long-term listening I ended up with triple-flange tips and an impedance adapter to smooth out the treble a bit. I'll try the BA200 someday. 

Quote:
Wow...supreme scoring on the R-50, this must be one one of your favourite IEM joker?

It's good for the price but I've heard better. I also still prefer the DBA-02 mkII and ATH-CK10 to it among the TWFK setups.

Quote:
Without moving much in price (whether up or down), what would be your recommendation of one falls into the category of
"those looking for rumbly sub-bass or thick, full-bodied impact" who also find the treble on the brainwavz b2 bright?

EPH-100 or maybe Dunu DN-19 with the tuning vents open. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #8,878 of 16,931
Quote:

The EPH-100 will be a popular suggestion I'd guess.  I personally find the GR07 meets those requirements but might be too bright / not thick enough for you.  I find them very well balanced, and when the track calls for it the sub-bass really tickles my spine.  I think these earphones have made me sort of a lean bass-head - listening to the B2s I was shocked at the total removal of the rumble.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #8,879 of 16,931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back