Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #7,711 of 16,931
he may have forgot to mention them on the turbines , its the same thing with just different driver and different material housing . have to say , mtpg are the best looking earphone . i was mad about them , gave up because of bass . huge bass , the air will damage any ear .

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #7,712 of 16,931
Joker, two questions:

1- Do you think the SE215 sounds recessed like IE8 ? because I hated the IE8, vocals sounded too far, I only liked the bass.
2- In your reviews, you say the best isolation is achieved with the right tips, are you talking about the Preferred tips or some kind of Tri-Flanges/Comply, etc. ?

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #7,713 of 16,931
I made my final decision. The RE262 it is. The IEM with the closest sound signature, besides the RE272 is the FAD Heaven IV, but the Build Quality and Carrying Case is much better with the Heaven IV than the RE262. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #7,714 of 16,931
Quote:
ljokerl, kudos for this impressive thread!!! THANKS THANKS THANKS!

I was  in the quest for the ideal (for me) IEM, so first read all your reviews from $30 to $100, and confirmed your listening taste was in line
with mine (comparing your impressions from IEMs I owned, like a-jays three, Senheisser CX-300 II, Apple's, Ety's er6i), so I just let me "follow that light"
and your virtual guidance has been priceless!

I'm just raving with my new GR06, best money spent on a IEM on all these years. I'm even considering the GR07. Your reviews are spot on!

Just out of curiosity, do you have any DIY experience? have you recabled an IEM and noticed a change in its sound?

Thanks, glad you've enjoyed your purchases!

I have tried a couple of recabled earphones and generally have not noticed much of a difference. My Miracle actually seemed a bit worse with the aftermarket Beat Audio cable.

Quote:
Joker, do the regular Monster Turbines have the same insertion depth issues as the Gold and Copper? You mention the latter two being sensitive to insertion depth, but nothing was said about the original Turbines.

I did not find the Turbines to be as bad in this respect as the Golds. Something about the sound signature of the Golds just didn't work for me with deep insertion. 

Quote:
Joker, two questions:

1- Do you think the SE215 sounds recessed like IE8 ? because I hated the IE8, vocals sounded too far, I only liked the bass.
2- In your reviews, you say the best isolation is achieved with the right tips, are you talking about the Preferred tips or some kind of Tri-Flanges/Comply, etc. ?

The IE8 is generally a more distant-sounding IEM. While the SE215 does emphasize its bass over the midrange slightly, it does not have that n-th row seating feel to it. 

'Right tips' usually just means the more isolating ones of the tips I tried on that earphone. Oftentimes that's some sort of foam, such as Olives on the SE215.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #7,715 of 16,931
Hi joker,

I am ready to buy my first good pair of IEMs now. But, from the noob suggestions, i realized the most important thing is about balance of equips and buying what you use it for.

I am a college student. Currently i really only listen to music on my iphone4s, my Ipad, my computer with no soundcard (integrated), or a coby 757 when I go to the gym.

I realize my source is not audiophile at all, so I am looking at your low end Vsonic IEMs. GR02bass, or GR06, should I even consider GR07?
Could you tell me which of those is the best fit for my source, as in, my source can actually bring out their potential, and they wont expose the flaws of my source.

Also, i guess my fav genre is pop.
Avril lavigne, taylor swift, Mariah carey's "Hate you" is my fav song.
But I also listen to pure piano music and some classical, plus some alt rock(the soft type?)

Thanks.

Also, I realize that Joker might not be able to answer this very specific question, so, if there is anyone in the thread who is really good with source equips, I would really love your imput.

Thanks everyone. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #7,716 of 16,931
Thanks for the reply joker. The Turbines will be here tomorrow, so nothing better than to experience them for myself. Been about two years since I've used IEMs (RE0s were my last one).

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #7,717 of 16,931
Hey ljokerl,

Once again - amazing job, thank you for doing what you do. 

One quick question from me:

I've just had my pl50 bail on me after two short months and I'm sad 
frown.gif
. Any chance you could tell me which phones from your list fit this description:

. over-the-ear
. minimum microphonics
. can be flooded with sweat (because I'm prettty sure this is one of the reasons my PLs died)

I'm open to the sound signature although would prefer something either balanced or something warm and deep. Thanks in advance!

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #7,721 of 16,931
for sweat you need sweat proof earphone , which are really rare to find with good sound , as far as i can see ue 300 are good , but had big bolted bass ,nice sound though , but not much durable and a bit microphonic , why dont you try the ue350 which can be worn over ears , and nice sound too . if you loved your pl50 like me , you need etys mc5 or meelec a151 , cc51 , for a fact you can use any straight barrel earphone for over ear fit . there are few water proof from philips , sho2200 fits your bill nicely , but with a bit of bass .

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #7,722 of 16,931
go for any of those , m2 has a bit more bass , and none of those need a amp .

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #7,724 of 16,931
Would the Shure grey flex go well with the B2s?

I used those Shure grey soft flex tips on DBA-02's for several years and they work well, and stay very secure on the nozzles, unlike the OEM single flanges. I get just a tiny bit better balance with the large dual flanges shown in my avatar (basically a big triple flange with the smallest flange removed).

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #7,725 of 16,931
Hi joker,

I am ready to buy my first good pair of IEMs now. But, from the noob suggestions, i realized the most important thing is about balance of equips and buying what you use it for.

I am a college student. Currently i really only listen to music on my iphone4s, my Ipad, my computer with no soundcard (integrated), or a coby 757 when I go to the gym.

I realize my source is not audiophile at all, so I am looking at your low end Vsonic IEMs. GR02bass, or GR06, should I even consider GR07?
Could you tell me which of those is the best fit for my source, as in, my source can actually bring out their potential, and they wont expose the flaws of my source.

Also, i guess my fav genre is pop.
Avril lavigne, taylor swift, Mariah carey's "Hate you" is my fav song.
But I also listen to pure piano music and some classical, plus some alt rock(the soft type?)

Thanks.

Also, I realize that Joker might not be able to answer this very specific question, so, if there is anyone in the thread who is really good with source equips, I would really love your imput.

Thanks everyone. 

I use similar sources and would not consider them low-end, except for the pretty poor built-in EQ, which I leave off. Even with my old ears, the SQ differences that |joker| and ClieOS describe are very discernible.

You prefer music with female vocals plus the piano and classical mentioned,so I'd bet you would get tired of the typical V-sound signature of most mainstream IEMs. Something with forward mids and a more balanced signature might suite you better in the long run.

While I haven't tried Vsonics myself, the GR06 or even better GR07 would probably be excellent. And consider balanced armature IEMs like the Brainwavz B2, Fischer DBA-02, or MEElec A161P (see |joker|'s review of the Fischer SBA-03 as well as Inks' thread). If those exceed your budget, look at the MEElec A151 or very similar sounding Astrotec AM-90. I like the former as my gym phone, and enjoyed the AM-90 before giving it to my daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back