Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 21, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #1,876 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare maybe the turbines with the teknines.

I currently have the turbines and also have the teknines on order (store has them on pre-sale so order won't come until february)

I've read good things about the teknines, but I have just read in some other thread that ljokerl was unimpressed by them.  I know SQ is subjective but since I'm still a newb to this hobby I have a lot of trust on ljokerl and you guys.

Just wondering if you guys have some quick 2 minute comments so I can go ahead and cancel my order if teknines turnes out to be bad :D

Yes, and also with the Monster Jamz. I really don't like the Jamz very much but even they compete well with the Teknines. I don't currently have either on hand as I passed the Turbines on to their new owner and the Jamz died again (3rd time in four months...) but I have plenty of other bassy phones - Meelec SP51, Thinksound TS02, Fischer Eterna, Senn IE6, SuperFi5EB, etc. In terms of bass quantity the Teknines lag slightly behind the real bass Monsters (SF5EB and Eterna) but beat the reasonably bass-heavy IE6 and TS02, which is also approximately where the Turbines fall for me. The problem is definition - there just isn't much with the Teknines. Listening to them on their own it isn't particularly noticeable but when compared to something with properly-defined bass (such as the IE6 or Turbine) they sound flabby. The bass is of the soft type and notes lack edge and attack. The Eterna, which really isn't the most sprightly earphone out there, does a better job of relating texture and detail, especially down in the sub-bass region and especially when things get busy. There is a lot of bass bleed and the midrange veil is one of the thickest and most distracting I've heard on a higher-end earphone. They've gotten better with the 150+ hours of burn-in I've put on them but I still have a hard time adjusting to them after using any other earphone. One thing I can't complain about is smoothness - the veil really irons out the sound signature to the point where nothing pops out whatsoever - but the strong bass keeps them from becoming dull and lifeless (which is what happens with the Monster Jamz). They also sound better at higher volumes but I value my hearing too much to 'enjoy' them that way.

On this note I should say that when I figure out the 'sound quality' score for an earphone, I do so by pitting it in a series of A:B comparisons against the rest of my collection. Usually it starts off being compared to a benchmark like the RE-ZERO or Eterna and if I feel that it is worse, I will move down a bit (to the Brainwavz M2 or Thinksound TS02, for example) and repeat until I get to an A:B where the earphone in question 'wins'. With the Teknines I got all the way down to the Earsquake SHA before I felt that it was the clear winner mostly because clarity is easily the most (immediately) noticeable aspect of an earphone's technical proficiency and there really is no way for me to compare these to other earphones without feeling that clarity is being thrown out the window, so I won't - they are what they are.

sweet

dude you're the best!!

I went ahead and cancelled my teknines order and I'm gonna get eternas or ie6s as soon as I get my refund.

Thanks

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #1,877 of 16,931
Just remember that is one man's opinion... joker would probably admit a preference towards an IEM with up-front clarity and tight, crisp bass, and the Munitios definitely lean towards a big bass / smooth treble (at the expense of "crisp" sound)... Like I said I actually preferred the Munitios to the Monster Turbines when I A/B'd them, for my tastes (which lean towards heavy bass and a warm / rich sound) I found the Turbines to be too crisp / bright.  What joker considered a "negative" about the Munitios I considered a "plus"... they are not "cold" or "analytical" IEM's but rather big, dynamic fun bass monsters that beg to be cranked up.

I would generally agree with his comments in terms of his characterization of the sound, but I actually LIKE the sound.... for me the only flaw is the midrage "thickness" (what joker calls the "veil") that can muddy things up with certain types of music... but for most music I really enjoy the smooth, mellow warmth of the overall sound.  So just remember to account for personal taste
wink.gif

What exactly do you dislike about the Turbines that you want to improve upon? 

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,878 of 16,931

Quote:
hey guys,

custom 3, TF10, normal turbines, RE0, or westone 1s for the most clarity in  metal?

It would be between the TF10 and RE0.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #1,880 of 16,931
I'm new to the forum and found this incredible database this morning, only just noticed I've been sitting here reading reviews for over 2 hours. I was wondering if there's a reason why Shure IEMs haven't been reviewed? I'm curious about the SE535 specifically.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,881 of 16,931

Quote:
I'm new to the forum and found this incredible database this morning, only just noticed I've been sitting here reading reviews for over 2 hours. I was wondering if there's a reason why Shure IEMs haven't been reviewed? I'm curious about the SE535 specifically.

I have no personal interest in Shure products after trying a bunch of the lower-end ones early in my head-fi journey. There's no specific reason for avoiding the SE530/535 other than that I haven't felt the urge to go out and buy one myself.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,882 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

I have no personal interest in Shure products after trying a bunch of the lower-end ones early in my head-fi journey. There's no specific reason for avoiding the SE530/535 other than that I haven't felt the urge to go out and buy one myself.

Fair enough.

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,883 of 16,931
What would be the best choice in the Tier 3A or lower?
I want a pair to use when I go to class or don't want to carry around my Senn HD280's.
I have a Cowon J3 that I'm mostly going to be using it with and I listen to all sorts of music except country.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you ^^.

P.S. I'm looking for comfort and sound quality.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,884 of 16,931
3C is the bottom tier (<$15). Do you mean 3A?

If so I'd go for the Brainwavz M1 or Brainwavz ProAlpha, depending on what you're after. Both are available from amazon as of this week.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #1,885 of 16,931

Quote:

If so I'd go for the Brainwavz M1 or Brainwavz ProAlpha, depending on what you're after. Both are available from amazon as of this week.

Haha yeah, I meant 3A :p. Me and my stupid typos.
After reading your reviews and both of them I think I'm going to go for the M1's :D.
I think I'd rather have a more balanced sound than hard hitting.
Thanks for all your help!

Oh, and by the way. Even though I'm pretty new to this site, I have to say that you're the coolest and most helpful head-fi person so far :D.
You help a lot people in a lot ways, thanks a lot :wink:.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,886 of 16,931
Quote:

Haha yeah, I meant 3A :p. Me and my stupid typos.
After reading your reviews and both of them I think I'm going to go for the M1's :D.

Oh, and by the way. Even though I'm pretty new to this site, I have to say that you're the coolest and most helpful head-fi person so far :D.

If you're going order the M1, order it through MP4Nations new US website. There's currently a 5% discount, and it wouldn't take 3 weeks of waiting for them.

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,888 of 16,931

Quote:
Haha yeah, I meant 3A :p. Me and my stupid typos. After reading your reviews and both of them I think I'm going to go for the M1's :D.

Great, glad you've found the thread useful. Hope you like the earphones!

Quote:
If you're going order the M1, order it through MP4Nations new US website. There's currently a 5% discount, and it wouldn't take 3 weeks of waiting for them.

I don't think ordering them from amazon would result in a three-week wait as they are shipping from one of amazon's own warehouses.

Quote:
I wonder how good the SP51 is? That's what I want to go for.

I haven't spent too much time with the SP51 but so far I hear an earphone with too much bass for my tastes and really hard-edged lower treble. I like the CC51 a lot more at this point.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #1,889 of 16,931

Quote:

I don't think ordering them from amazon would result in a three-week wait as they are shipping from one of amazon's own warehouses.

Oops, when brainvwaz products were first put on Amazon, there was a $10 increase, I didn't notice that Amazon dropped the price back to MSRP.

Yeah, it would probably be easier to just purchase M1 from Amazon then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back