Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #31 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a pair proxied through me, lemme know.

Thanks, I might take you up on that when I clear my backlog
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome job Joker! The layout is exceptional and all the links make it very easy to navigate. I bow to your skill and dedication.

Thanks, much appreciated

Quote:

Originally Posted by pi3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks joker, that's just the analysis I was looking for. From your overall reviews, sounds like you really enjoy an expansive soundstage. wondering if you've ever tried audio-technica's ad line. I have the ad700s and it seems very similar to the ck10. i'll bet it has and even larger soundstage though, since it's fullsize and open.

I have heard the AD700 briefly and all I could think was "mids, mids, mids". Of course the CK10 can't beat that soundstage, but it does fairly well for an IEM. The AD700 didn't seem nearly as effortless in reproducing treble when I heard it, but that was only a brief impressioin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this! I'm curious if you've ever listened to, or have plans to review, Q-Jays? I've been doing a bit of research trying to find something good up to my max budget of $175, and a lot of posts point me in the direction of Q-Jays.

While I'm here, I was thinking about the Phonak PFE's but a friend of mine keeps telling me "spend a little more to get 2 armatures, you'll be dissapointed if you don't". Being a complete noob, what does this mean and does it have any truth to it?

Also, any specific recommendations for somebody looking to get into IEM's, up to 175, who likes a lot of metal, prog rock, and just about anything with female vocalists (meaning a lot of high pitched music).

The only Jays IEM I've owned are the J-Jays, though the less said about them the better (review coming soon
redface.gif
). I have not heard the Q-Jays and would be more interested in one of Jays' new IEMs (namely the quads
tongue.gif
).

As for dual vs single armatures, rawrster pretty much nailed it. More potential in multi-driver setups but that does not always equal better sound (just look at the Klipsch custom line). I really don't think you will be disappointed with the PFEs. They don't sound as natural as, say, the CK10, but they are darn good for what they cost and at what they do. You may also look at the Panasonic HJE900 (dynamic-driver), though I wouldn't call them vocal-centric earphones. They still perform very admirably and will take a lot more abuse than the PFEs.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #32 of 16,931
Hi, I wanted to ask how is the detail reproduction of Phonak PFE compared to the re0 or er4/hf5. FWIK PFE are more laid-back?

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #33 of 16,931
You might want to move the Soundmagic PL50 up a price tier as Head-Direct has raised them to $79, although they sell them a little cheaper through other retailers, around $65-70.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #35 of 16,931
^
you can google focalprice.com coupons or similar search and find a coupon that knocks them down by $10 more bucks. however patience is needed compared to head-direct which ships and arrives much faster. i ordered from there a couple days ago for a PL30 and probably won't get it for 2 weeks minimum.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #36 of 16,931
I think this thread + other monster multireview threads should either be stickied or linked to in a stickied review directory thread. Everyday there are recommend me a budget IEM within this price range etc, and this kind of helpful info would help reduce those heavily repeated threads and people would find answers faster

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #37 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I wanted to ask how is the detail reproduction of Phonak PFE compared to the re0 or er4/hf5. FWIK PFE are more laid-back?

Detail-wise I really don't think the PFE can keep up with either the ER4 or RE0. In terms of aggressiveness, they are definitely not as forward as the ER4 in terms of presenting detail. Compared to the RE0, however, I think they hold their own. The RE0 really isn't an aggressive earphone, especially in the midrange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to move the Soundmagic PL50 up a price tier as Head-Direct has raised them to $79, although they sell them a little cheaper through other retailers, around $65-70.

It's still quite easy to find them in the $55-60 range - focalprice, mp4nation, ebay, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rymd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this thread + other monster multireview threads should either be stickied or linked to in a stickied review directory thread. Everyday there are recommend me a budget IEM within this price range etc, and this kind of helpful info would help reduce those heavily repeated threads and people would find answers faster

Thanks for the vote of confidence. To be honest I'm still surprised ClieOS's multi-threads are not stickied so I suppose this sort of effort is just too narrow of scope, especially compared to the sticky in the full-size forum with its 1.1 million views. And believe me, even having the thread in my sig does not always mean people who ask for recommendations will click on it instead of asking follow-up questions.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #39 of 16,931
just a fyi but from your first post...on the list of iem's that you have for reviewing from the addition you added today all the way down to halfway down to your second iem review is pretty much all in bold text..unless of course you meant to do that :p

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this! I'm curious if you've ever listened to, or have plans to review, Q-Jays? I've been doing a bit of research trying to find something good up to my max budget of $175, and a lot of posts point me in the direction of Q-Jays.

Update on this: I will likely be receiving a set of Q-Jays in several weeks so I they will be added to the thread in time
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #43 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update on this: I will likely be receiving a set of Q-Jays in several weeks so I they will be added to the thread in time
tongue.gif

Looking forward to this.
smile.gif

As always, thank you very much for the time, effort, and dedication!

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #44 of 16,931
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. Just thought I'd mention that according to their twitter feed Meelec is running a 60% off the M11/40% off the M6 promotion. That should be about $20 for the M11 and $30 for the M6. Great deals all around
tongue.gif

Quote:

one day sale (ending Saturday at midnight)! 60% off MSRP on the M11 and M11P headphones (coupon code M11_60_OFF) and 40% off MSRP on the M6 (coupon code M6_40_OFF). Get these great savings at MEElec.com - Ultimate Sound in Style! Earphones, Media Players, Mobile and Gaming Accessories, and Much More! while quantities last!

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #45 of 16,931
i refuse to be tempted! of course when i decide to start saving for my next purchases so many good deals lately :p i do look forward to your q-jays review however. those were one of my choices when i was deciding on buying my first quality iem.

@AwakenedBeing: I think you need more AT phones in your signature
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back