Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #16 of 16,931
Hey joker, could you consider adding IEMs like the se530/420 to your review?

I used to own some shure IEMs and I'm curious to see how they stack up isolation wise to the more recently released ones (especially the MTP gold/copper). I'm going on some very long flights fairly soon so I need to find something that isolates well. (Obviously the ER4 is the best choice, but I want something with heavier bass).

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #17 of 16,931
hey joker, I was wondering about the sound sig differences between the pfe (grey) and ck10s. I'm debating between repurchasing pfes or moving up to ck10s. Are the ck10s more or less forward in the treble and mids than the pfes? Also, which has more bass quantity? Finally, is there a significant difference in the overall sq unamped from a fuze? Thanks in advance, love the thread.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #18 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey joker, could you consider adding IEMs like the se530/420 to your review?

I used to own some shure IEMs and I'm curious to see how they stack up isolation wise to the more recently released ones (especially the MTP gold/copper). I'm going on some very long flights fairly soon so I need to find something that isolates well. (Obviously the ER4 is the best choice, but I want something with heavier bass).

I have owned the Shure E4c in the past and I was so unimpressed (with the sound) that I swore off Shure IEMs except for the SE530/535, which I have yet to try. I remember that my Er6i easily beat them in isolation at the time, but that's not much of a surprise. To answer your question, I have no plans for a Shure IEM at this point except perhaps a lower-end one as a reference point for Shure owners. My next 15 additions are already planned out so I can say for sure that no Shure products will be added until this thread reaches at least 65+ IEMs
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pi3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey joker, I was wondering about the sound sig differences between the pfe (grey) and ck10s. I'm debating between repurchasing pfes or moving up to ck10s. Are the ck10s more or less forward in the treble and mids than the pfes? Also, which has more bass quantity? Finally, is there a significant difference in the overall sq unamped from a fuze? Thanks in advance, love the thread.

From memory I would say the PFEs are more forward on both counts due to the fact that the CK10 has a more spaced-out sound overall. The treble is similarly crisp and seemingly endlessly extended on both. The Ck10 has more bass impact than the PFE+grey, but not by much. Plus it's more of an armature-sounding bass (fast, precise, not much in the way of decay) compared to the almost dynamic sound of the PFE bass. Unamped the CK10 are definitely the way to go. I found the PFEs almost not worth using without an amp (not because they sound bad but because I already knew what I was missing). With the CK10s I skip the amp 99% of the time for portability.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #19 of 16,931
this was in your previous thread..but thanks for the comparison b/w the pl50 and pl30.

was thinking of buying both for like 65 total but i doubt i would just use the pl50 much so got the pl30 for just under 18 shipped. just have to wait 2 weeks now ;p

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #20 of 16,931
$18 is a great price for one of my favorite budget IEMs. Plus the durability is surprising - they are my oldest fully-functioning in-ear set despite hundreds of hours of ungodly gym abuse and other everyday use. Two weeks is a pretty conservative estimate. I take it you didn't order them from mp4nation
tongue.gif
(yes, I am still bitter about the 60 days it took them to ship me the P10s and the 2+ months I've been waiting for my S:Flo).

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #21 of 16,931
i bought it off focalprice.com. well my last purchase from hong kong came in a record time so hopefully this will be kind of similar. usually when i buy from asia i forget that i bought it until i get it in the mail. it says 6-14 days so yeah probably 2-3 weeks

edit: i'm glad i didn't go for the s:flo2 or have an OS that doesnt work from them :p waiting that long would drive me absolutely insane.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #23 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned the Shure E4c in the past and I was so unimpressed (with the sound) that I swore off Shure IEMs except for the SE530/535, which I have yet to try. I remember that my Er6i easily beat them in isolation at the time, but that's not much of a surprise. To answer your question, I have no plans for a Shure IEM at this point except perhaps a lower-end one as a reference point for Shure owners. My next 15 additions are already planned out so I can say for sure that no Shure products will be added until this thread reaches at least 65+ IEMs
tongue.gif

Fair enough. Planning on reviewing any of the Playaz series?

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #24 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. Planning on reviewing any of the Playaz series?

The US ebay seller that used to sell the Playaz doesn't seem to carry them any longer. If anyone knows a good place to get them, I'm all ears, but they are far cheaper in Europe than they are here.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #26 of 16,931
Awesome job Joker! The layout is exceptional and all the links make it very easy to navigate. I bow to your skill and dedication.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #27 of 16,931
thanks joker, that's just the analysis I was looking for. From your overall reviews, sounds like you really enjoy an expansive soundstage. wondering if you've ever tried audio-technica's ad line. I have the ad700s and it seems very similar to the ck10. i'll bet it has and even larger soundstage though, since it's fullsize and open.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #28 of 16,931
Thanks for this! I'm curious if you've ever listened to, or have plans to review, Q-Jays? I've been doing a bit of research trying to find something good up to my max budget of $175, and a lot of posts point me in the direction of Q-Jays.

While I'm here, I was thinking about the Phonak PFE's but a friend of mine keeps telling me "spend a little more to get 2 armatures, you'll be dissapointed if you don't". Being a complete noob, what does this mean and does it have any truth to it?

Also, any specific recommendations for somebody looking to get into IEM's, up to 175, who likes a lot of metal, prog rock, and just about anything with female vocalists (meaning a lot of high pitched music).

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #29 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'm here, I was thinking about the Phonak PFE's but a friend of mine keeps telling me "spend a little more to get 2 armatures, you'll be dissapointed if you don't". Being a complete noob, what does this mean and does it have any truth to it?

PFE is a single BA (balanced armature) driver. Universal BA iem's have either one, two or three BA drivers. Multiple drivers can sound better than a single one and many of the best universals do have multiple drivers. However more does not always mean better. Take for example I have a CK10 which is 2 drivers and I've owned the TF10 which is 3 and I prefer the CK10 by a large margin. I think more drivers has more potential of being better depending on how they are implemented but it does not always mean it is better. There is a dual driver by apple but there are lots of iem's that are single that people prefer over that. Once again depends on how it is implemented.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PFE is a single BA (balanced armature) driver. Universal BA iem's have either one, two or three BA drivers. Multiple drivers can sound better than a single one and many of the best universals do have multiple drivers. However more does not always mean better. Take for example I have a CK10 which is 2 drivers and I've owned the TF10 which is 3 and I prefer the CK10 by a large margin. I think more drivers has more potential of being better depending on how they are implemented but it does not always mean it is better. There is a dual driver by apple but there are lots of iem's that are single that people prefer over that. Once again depends on how it is implemented.

Thank you for the very informative post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back