Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 15, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #16,427 of 16,931
Dec 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #16,428 of 16,931

The Etymotics someone recommended previously seem like a good choice but make sure their housings aren't too long to fit under your helmet. They do stick out a bit when you wear them. Can't beat the isolation, though, and as long as you don't mind a balanced/accurate sound that's hard to beat as well.

I tried triple flanges on my MEE Audio M-Duo's, but every damn time I took them out, the flanges stayed in my ear canal.... I needed to carry tweezers just to get them out!!!

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #16,429 of 16,931

I tried triple flanges on my MEE Audio M-Duo's, but every damn time I took them out, the flanges stayed in my ear canal.... I needed to carry tweezers just to get them out!!!

This doesn't happen with etymotic and you can use other tips if you worry about the tri-flanges but they are a tight fit and don't come off unless you want to

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #16,430 of 16,931
Last new review for the year - the crowd-funded dual-BA LIFE Headphones.

As usual, the most up-to-date rating list can be found here.

Happy holidays, everyone!

(1C26) LIFE Headphones

Added December 2015

Brief: dual-BA sports/lifestyle earphone being launched via crowdfunding
MSRP: $309
Current Price: $250 at Lifeacoustics.com
Specs: Driver: dual BA | Imp: 36Ω | Sens: 119 dB | Freq: 20-15k Hz | Cable: 4.2’ L-plug; detachable with 2-pin connector
Nozzle Size: 4 mm | Preferred tips: Earsonics double-flanges; MEElec A151 single-flanges/Shure flex sleeves
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), cleaning tool, and zippered carrying case (note: the tips run a bit small – XS/S/M rather than S/M/L)
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The LIFE Headphones use a two-piece plastic shell reminiscent of those used by professional in-ear monitor manufacturers such as Westone and EarSonics. The unusual shape of the earpieces seems a little more fragile than those monitors, but the earphones do use detachable, user-replaceable cables (with conventional 2-pin connectors) and are said to be sweat-resistant. The cable is similar to what is normally found on custom monitors – twisted and lightweight, with a medium length of memory wire at the earpieces and a slim L-shaped plug
Isolation (4/5) – Good with the right tips; on par with other balanced armature in-ears
Microphonics (5/5) – As usual with this type of cable, microphonics are nonexistent
Comfort (4/5) – The shape of the monitors is very unusual but surprisingly comfortable. Because only the bottom half of the earpieces ends up in contact with the ear, they actually feel like a compact Shure or Westone model when worn. The extremely light weight of the plastic earpieces and cables, together with the moldable memory wire section on the cords, makes the fit extremely secure as well

Sound (9/10) – One of several new crowdfunding-backed earphones I’ve tried in the past year, the LIFE Headphones are dual-armature IEMs tuned for a balanced sound. LIFE actually has a fairly lengthy – though at times oversimplified – explanation of the earphones’ specs on the company website, a pretty unique piece of content that implies a commitment to audio performance.

The two-way, dual-BA setup of the LIFE Headphones provides a broad frequency response and has very high sensitivity. This means a very clean audio source should be used – any hiss or electrical noise present will be heard clearly in the earphones. Even my FIIO E07k DAC, which has a fairly low noise floor, produces a small amount of audible hiss with the LIFE.

The sound of the LIFE Headphones is fairly unique for a dual balanced armature earphone – it is mildly v-shaped, with good bass punch, slightly laid-back mids, and bright treble. In many ways the tuning reminds me of the pricier triple-driver Alclair Reference custom-fit monitors.

To get a better measure of the performance of the LIFE headphones, I compared them to three of the best-performing dual-BA earphones I’ve tried – the recently-discontinued TDK BA200 and VSonic VC1000 and the Japan-import Audio-Technica ATH-IM02.

In terms of bass the LIFE falls about mid-pack. There’s a bit more bass power compared to the TDK BA200, but a bit less impact, depth, and weight compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-IM02. For a balanced armature earphone this is actually a very good amount of punch, and the bass quality is excellent as well. Of course, the LIFE isn’t a good match for listeners who prefer enhanced bass (and are willing to give up some tightness to get it). To put this in perspective, compared to Philips’ dynamic-driver in-ear flagship, the Fidelio S2 – itself a fairly accurate-sounding in-ear with only slight bass boost – the LIFE Headphones provide significantly lower bass quantity and better bass control.

The midrange takes a step back in emphasis – it is not as upfront and balanced as with the BA200 or VC1000 and tends to be a little less revealing of fine detail as a result. The IM02 from Audio-Technica, on the other hand, has clarity and detail levels similar to the LIFE Headphones but tends to sound a little more full-bodied. Keep in mind that this is all in the context of these four being high-end BA montors – the dynamic-driver Philips Fidelio S2 doesn’t manage the detail or clarity of the LIFE Headphones.

The highs of the LIFE Headphones pick up a bit and sound fairly bright – more so than the BA200 and ATH-IM02 and nearly on-par with the more energetic VC1000. The brightness helps the LIFE Headphones sound clearer, but they are also less forgiving and more prone to sibilance than the BA200 and IM02. Just like the popular VSonic GR07 monitors, I wouldn’t recommend the LIFE for listeners who are sensitive to sibilance.

My favorite aspect of the LIFE Headphones besides the bass is the presentation. The earphone’s soundstage is well-rounded and spacious, especially considering the sound tuning. The LIFE Headphones sound more dynamic than the flatter VSonic VC1000 and have a more natural soundstage with better depth compared to the Fidelio S2.

Select Comparisons

HiFiMan RE-400 ($79)

The RE-400 is one of the best-performing audiophile earphones in its price range and is tuned for a different type of balanced sound than the LIFE Headphones – one with more focus on the midrange and smoother, more relaxed treble. The LIFE Headphones deliver more linear bass with better depth and slightly greater punch compared to the RE-400. They also have brighter treble, which results in greater overall clarity compared to the RE-400 but also makes the LIFE headphones more prone to harshness and sibilance. Lastly, the more mid-centric RE-400 also tends to be a little less dynamic and doesn’t have quite as wide and versatile a soundstage as the LIFE Headphones.

VSonic GR07 Classic ($99)

Yet another tried-and-true in-ear monitor benchmark popular in the audiophile community, the GR07 is also tuned for a near-neutral sound but has significantly lower sensitivity and a slightly different sound signature with a bit more bass and less treble. The GR07 sounds a bit more scooped-out in the midrange, which makes me prefer the overall bass-midrange balance of the LIFE even though I appreciate the bass impact of the GR07. The LIFE Headphones have a thinner note and brighter treble with a similar amount of sibilance to the GR07 but slightly more harshness. The presentation, on the other hand, is slightly lacking in depth with the VSonics and is more well-rounded and three-dimensional with the LIFE unit.

Aurisonics Rockets ($249)

Like the LIFE Headphones, the Rockets are a Kickstarter-backed earphone that also happens to be similar in price ($250) and its lifestyle-oriented marketing message, including sweat resistance. Its straight-barrel metal form factor and dynamic driver are very different from the LIFE unit, however, and its sound much more closely resembles that of the HiFiMan RE-400.
Compared to the LIFE Headphones, the Rockets have slightly greater bass quantity and depth while maintaining similar bass quantity/tightness. The midrange of the Rockets is more forward, while the treble is more laid-back. The Rockets are smoother and more forgiving of harshness and sibilance, but also sound a little dull in comparison to the LIFE at times. The LIFE, on the other hand, has bright and energetic treble. The Rockets are also much less sensitive than the LIFE Headphones and will take a lot more power to hit the same volume levels.

InEar StageDiver SD-2 ($449)

The StageDiver SD-2 is a dual-balanced armature earphone, like the LIFE Headphones, but is designed and tuned primarily for stage use. Its sound is warmer, with more midrange presence and extremely smooth treble. The LIFE headphones sound thinner and clearer, partly because of the brighter treble. The downside is that they are more sibilant compared to the rather forgiving SD-2. The presentation of the SD-2 is more forward and intimate thanks to the more prominent mids, while the LIFE Headphones have a more laid-back sound and wider soundstage.

Value (8/10) – The LIFE Headphones are a comfortable and balanced-sounding in-ear monitor that combines the usual perks of BA drivers – clarity, tight bass, good noise isolation, and high efficiency – with a feature set made for active use. The memory wire cables keep the earphones securely in place and detachable cables make up for the plastic housings, though care should still be taken not to exert too much pressure on the thin part of the housings when changing tips or detaching the cords. With the advertised sweat resistance, the LIFE Headphones may just be the most audiophile-friendly purpose-made workout buds on the market.

Pros: Surprisingly comfortable in the ear; no cable noise; excellent bass quality and soundstage presentation
Cons: Can be sibilant at times; housings should be handled with care

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #16,431 of 16,931
hi joker
I see the headphones Yamaha EPH100 you recommended to me it really cheap (only $50 ) question whether it genuine?
And the reactions of the people in ebay say they have no bass at all!!!

see the Most relevant reviews>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Genuine-Yamaha-EPH100-EPH-100-Stereo-Professional-Earphone-Headphone-Silver-/151895052685?hash=item235da6918d:g:I-wAAOSwEetV8qNf#rwid

There have been reports of counterfeit ones. I wouldn't risk it.

With that said, a good number of IEM reviews online complain about lack of bass because a good percentage of the general public doesn't know how to wear IEMs properly. 

Thank joker
So Where are you recommend me buy the Ep1000?

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #16,432 of 16,931
Happy New Year, everyone! We're among the last to hit midnight here in California, but hopefully everyone has had a great night!

Thank joker

On Amazon (from Amazon.com and not a 3rd party seller, if possible). Stores with an offline presence should be fine too if they carry it (e.g. B&H)

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #16,436 of 16,931
Thank joker

Buy from AudioAffair.co.uk

They are authorised Yamaha retailer and ship worldwide with 2 year warranty!

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #16,437 of 16,931
joker I think I'm giving up the isolation of headphones and I want something good like dunu dn1000 or better.

My headphones dunu d1000 destroyed today, and I think, or go back to dunu dn1000 or something better but i want bass and sound quality like dunu dn1000

I am debating whether to buy back the dunu dn1000 or having something better like dunu dn2000 or fcl8s. 

and Because the cable of Dunu dn 1000 is torn me quickly, I prefer headphones with a strong cable what do you say about sony xba a3?

Also I'm very undecided whether to go for the flc8s because of the good reviews. But really eph100 suitable to my needs, but I'm afraid not to lose the best and treble sound I had in dn1000 maybe make me not love God eph100

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #16,439 of 16,931
Buy from AudioAffair.co.uk

They are authorised Yamaha retailer and ship worldwide with 2 year warranty!

if your interested in nice bass with a full warm midrange maybe check out the Nuforce NE800M? it comes with a remote for smartphone calls with carbon fibre and bass earpieces

i recently uploaded a review of them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-ne800m/reviews/14981

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #16,440 of 16,931
Just dropping by to say thanks, ljokerl for introducing the FLC8 in your review last year. I bought them based on your review and the novelty of a tunable IEM with a jawdropping 36 sigs. The updated FLC8S is finally picking up steam in Headfi, with a very active thread spearheaded by a few tours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back