Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #15,601 of 16,931
My VSD3S broke after 3 months of use. I loved the weird-looking things, but the treble was just way too much for me and I had to equalize it down considerably on my mp3 player. Everything else about it sound-wise I thoroughly enjoyed.

Is there an IEM around the VSD3S's price that eases down on the highs, is maybe a bit sturdier in construction, and still sounds great?

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #15,602 of 16,931
  My VSD3S broke after 3 months of use. I loved the weird-looking things, but the treble was just too much for me and I had to equalize it down considerably on my mp3 player.

Is there an IEM around that price that eases down on the highs, is maybe a bit sturdier in construction, and still sounds great?

Ostry KC06A 
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #15,603 of 16,931
could anyone recommend $40-$65 iem well suited for gym use?

I find that over ear cables are not really comfortable for my ears, nor are ear hooks. I like how bose/jbl have those iems with ear anchors but I demo'd the jbl reflect and found them lacking.

Preferably with balanced sound or slight bass emphasis but nothing bright or high treble. capable of using foam tips be ncie also.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #15,604 of 16,931

I find that over ear cables are not really comfortable for my ears, nor are ear hooks. I like how bose/jbl have those iems with ear anchors but I demo'd the jbl reflect and found them lacking.

Preferably with balanced sound or slight bass emphasis but nothing bright or high treble. capable of using foam tips be ncie also.

I dont think you will get what you want at this price, the closest i can think of is the Ath-ckx5. Or else you can try the Brainwavz S0, nice build and will last you long in the gym.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #15,605 of 16,931
  Hello Joker!

I was wondering if you have had the time to listen to the FLC-8's, and if you can provide any general impressions. I haven't really found much information about these earphones despite the fact that there are already some measurements on Innerfidelity. Do the drivers perform on the same level/tier as the DN-2000? How's the soundstage?

Thanks for the hard work you've put into this thread! I've gone from Meelec to 1964Ears in the past four years because of your reviews =)

No, I haven't had a chance to use them. I sent them off for measurements and just got them back recently. 

My VSD3S broke after 3 months of use. I loved the weird-looking things, but the treble was just way too much for me and I had to equalize it down considerably on my mp3 player. Everything else about it sound-wise I thoroughly enjoyed.

Is there an IEM around the VSD3S's price that eases down on the highs, is maybe a bit sturdier in construction, and still sounds great?

Sorry, the VSD3S is quite possibly the best I've heard in its class and what you're asking for would be a straight up upgrade, at the same price. That would be one amazing IEM, though.

The ATH-CKX5 has those ear fittings and works rather well for active use but it has a v-shaped sound with plenty of bass and somewhat edgy treble (nothing offensive, but not what I'd call smooth). Not a lot of other sports earphones with a cable-down fit out there. If you relax the earfin/sports requirement then you have some options, such as the Rock-It R-20, ViSang VS-K1, Brainwavz M1, etc., but without earfins they may not be all that secure in the ear during active use, and sweat resistance is questionable. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #15,607 of 16,931

If you will be ok with a bit mid-forward sound, check the IM50 which is around the same price. It is also sturdier than VSD3S. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #15,608 of 16,931

No, I haven't had a chance to use them. I sent them off for measurements and just got them back recently. 

Sorry, the VSD3S is quite possibly the best I've heard in its class and what you're asking for would be a straight up upgrade, at the same price. That would be one amazing IEM, though.

The ATH-CKX5 has those ear fittings and works rather well for active use but it has a v-shaped sound with plenty of bass and somewhat edgy treble (nothing offensive, but not what I'd call smooth). Not a lot of other sports earphones with a cable-down fit out there. If you relax the earfin/sports requirement then you have some options, such as the Rock-It R-20, ViSang VS-K1, Brainwavz M1, etc., but without earfins they may not be all that secure in the ear during active use, and sweat resistance is questionable. 

I don't necessary need the earfins, just something durable for the gym that is warm or balanced that can be worn cable down. I can probably do over the ear but if they have hooks or some kind of bendable plastic that keeps it in place it bothers my ears when they get stuck between my glasses.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #15,609 of 16,931

I don't necessary need the earfins, just something durable for the gym that is warm or balanced that can be worn cable down. I can probably do over the ear but if they have hooks or some kind of bendable plastic that keeps it in place it bothers my ears when they get stuck between my glasses.

Sony AS800AP! Under-appreciated little iem. They're waterproof as well.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #15,610 of 16,931
  At what price point would I be able to get what I'm wanting?

If you can give up a bit of bass boost and some ergonomics, the Brianwavz R3 may be a good one. Very smooth treble. Usually runs $130 but has been down to $90-ish. With a little less clarity and somewhat duller treble, but arguably even better build than the R3, the Shure SE215 is an option as well.

Most of the other ones I would recommend for that sort of sound within a reasonable price range will not beat the construction of the VSonics (e.g. SteelSeries Flux and Flux Pro, Fischer Silver Bullet, Phonak 022)

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #15,613 of 16,931
  Can you review Koss "The Plug" foam tip IEM, particularly in terms of sound isolation? 

http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/earbuds/PLUG__Plug_In-Ear_Headphone

I am not being rude but I dont think he as much time for these. Busy man he is with plenty to take care of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back