Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 13, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #15,557 of 16,931
Feb 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #15,559 of 16,931
Hello Joker.  How are you doing?

I have the RHA ma750 and most people including yourself (I believe) would consider them a warm headphone.  I myself find them to be a little bit bright even compared to my ATH-M50s which I prefer.  But at louder volumes the ma750s hurt my ears.

Since I seem to be very sensitive to brightness (treble/highs?), would you suggest any IEM brands that are even warmer like the M50s?  

I love bass and lows so that isn't something I have an issue with.  

If I reduce around EQ 6k - 14k it is a lot easier for me to listen to.  

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #15,560 of 16,931
I m in the market for new iem.

Budget is 200euro.

I need durable iem for sports (gym and running).
I d like good isolation, and overall great sound (I have Sennheiser HD600 that i like but since these get no use I ll probably sell them and fund new iems). I dont like bassy phones, balanced is key word. Neutral would be best.
I currently have AKG K323XS that are great, but I dont know how long these are going to last (have these 6 months)

Comfort is a must, as is good build quality (that is pretty imortant, I d like detachable cable since that is what i destroy first).
Amp requirement is a big NO (I have fiio e11k that I love but it would be trouble to run with it)
I was thinking ie80 (but am affraid of lots of fakes), but I am open to other suggestions. 

Used is also an option.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #15,561 of 16,931
Shure earphones are excellent for build and for fit (top notch). The SE215's aren't anywhere near neutral though, although when you're really running hard don't really seem like something I would want. The extra bit of low end is helpful, especially for motivation. The 215's are what I use and they are perfect for me. Plus, detachable cable. You get used to the sound eventually anyways :)

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #15,563 of 16,931
  xiaomi piston 2 or soundmagic E10 which do you recommend?

I generally prefer the Piston but it depends on what you're after. For warmer sound with heavier bass the Piston2 is a much better match but for more neutral sound with not as much bass depth/punch or warmth, the E10 is better.

Hello Joker.  How are you doing?

I have the RHA ma750 and most people including yourself (I believe) would consider them a warm headphone.  I myself find them to be a little bit bright even compared to my ATH-M50s which I prefer.  But at louder volumes the ma750s hurt my ears.

Since I seem to be very sensitive to brightness (treble/highs?), would you suggest any IEM brands that are even warmer like the M50s?  

I love bass and lows so that isn't something I have an issue with.  

If I reduce around EQ 6k - 14k it is a lot easier for me to listen to.  

That or you're not getting a very good seal with them, which tends to increase perceived treble presence in that range.

There are a few earphones that are bass-heavy but significantly more smooth than the MA750. These are the ones that come to mind:

Beats by Dre Tour 2.0 (pretty decent basshead earphones with very smooth treble)
UBSOUND Fighter (similar to the Beats, just cheaper and a bit less refined)
Sony MH1C (not as much bass as the above two but very smooth and more accurate overall)
NHT SuperBuds (these are bass monsters, even next to the Beats, but they are quite smooth)

I m in the market for new iem.

Budget is 200euro.

I need durable iem for sports (gym and running).
I d like good isolation, and overall great sound (I have Sennheiser HD600 that i like but since these get no use I ll probably sell them and fund new iems). I dont like bassy phones, balanced is key word. Neutral would be best.
I currently have AKG K323XS that are great, but I dont know how long these are going to last (have these 6 months)

Comfort is a must, as is good build quality (that is pretty imortant, I d like detachable cable since that is what i destroy first).
Amp requirement is a big NO (I have fiio e11k that I love but it would be trouble to run with it)
I was thinking ie80 (but am affraid of lots of fakes), but I am open to other suggestions. 

Used is also an option.

Detachable cables really limits your options. Westone W10 has them and is both more comfortable and more neutral than the SE215. Neither is sweatproof as far as I know. The Westone ADV Alpha is sweat-resistant but it sounds pretty bad with too much of a bass tilt. The IE8/IE80 is not very neutral, either.  

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #15,564 of 16,931

Hmm... maybe EarSonics SM3 or even SM2? Although the TG334 does not sound like what you were asking for previously - it doesn't exactly have treble sparkle - the opposite, actually. 

As long as it's not overly dark I think I should be fine. My main criteria is warm/rich/full, forward/clear/full airy mids/vocals and big soundstage. I remember trying the SM3 for a brief moment and found vocals to be really thick/dense and seemed to lose out on clarity because of this. Although I never got a good fit and I only tried it for a very short period of time so i'm not quite sure. Do you think the XBA A3 meets my criteria? Does it sound similar to the TG334?  

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #15,565 of 16,931
@ljokerl Tnx

But I wouldnt mind spending a bit more (shure se215 are $99).
up to $300 
So Shure 535 used are round $300, IE80 (used go for under $200), westone maybe, or should I skip it all and save for custom iem?

Any experience with Custom Art Music One?
Silicone custom iem (so for sports these shoud be much better than acrylic). 
These are from Poland, so I would avoid customs and taxes since I m in EU too.

It would be a bit above my budget (basic model is 189euro, detachable cable 225, but I don t know how much does it cost to get my ear impressions done and where)

One more thing.
I have HD600 Sennheiser and I really like them. Dont know if there is anything in my price range that is as good (doesnt have to be the same sound signature, just I wouldnt like to buy much inferior IEMs)

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #15,566 of 16,931
@ljokerl, thanks for a great Thread!!!

Tried out the Alclair CIEMS yesterday, great products, ended up going with the RSM over the Reference, the extra driver made a small but very noticeable difference on the extremes.

Couple of questions, first, are you going to review Alclair's RSM? Given your review on the Reference, I really think you would love them. Second, what are your thoughts on aftermarket cables? Thanks!

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #15,567 of 16,931
There are a few earphones that are bass-heavy but significantly more smooth than the MA750. These are the ones that come to mind:

Beats by Dre Tour 2.0 (pretty decent basshead earphones with very smooth treble)
Sony MH1C (not as much bass as the above two but very smooth and more accurate overall)
NHT SuperBuds (these are bass monsters, even next to the Beats, but they are quite smooth)

This is the first time I'm hearing of the NHT SuperBuds. Do you have a review coming up? Thanks.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #15,568 of 16,931
@ljokerl
 Tnx

up to $300 
So Shure 535 used are round $300, IE80 (used go for under $200), westone maybe, or should I skip it all and save for custom iem?

It would be a bit above my budget (basic model is 189euro, detachable cable 225, but I don t know how much does it cost to get my ear impressions done and where)

One more thing.
I have HD600 Sennheiser and I really like them. Dont know if there is anything in my price range that is as good (doesnt have to be the same sound signature, just I wouldnt like to buy much inferior IEMs)

Stagediver SD-2?

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #15,569 of 16,931

I'm really liking the NHT Superbuds i think I might get those thanks

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #15,570 of 16,931
  As long as it's not overly dark I think I should be fine. My main criteria is warm/rich/full, forward/clear/full airy mids/vocals and big soundstage. I remember trying the SM3 for a brief moment and found vocals to be really thick/dense and seemed to lose out on clarity because of this. Although I never got a good fit and I only tried it for a very short period of time so i'm not quite sure. Do you think the XBA A3 meets my criteria? Does it sound similar to the TG334?  

No experience with the XBA-A3.

@ljokerl Tnx

up to $300 

One more thing.

My Custom Art Music One review is on the 1st page of this thread. It's a very good earphone for the money. 

@ljokerl, thanks for a great Thread!!!

Tried out the Alclair CIEMS yesterday, great products, ended up going with the RSM over the Reference, the extra driver made a small but very noticeable difference on the extremes.

Couple of questions, first, are you going to review Alclair's RSM? Given your review on the Reference, I really think you would love them. Second, what are your thoughts on aftermarket cables? Thanks!

I had an RSM at one point. Sent it back for a refit and never got it back. Oh well.

As for aftermarket cables, I personally am not a fan. I know some people tout night and day differences between different cables but that has not been my experience. 

This is the first time I'm hearing of the NHT SuperBuds. Do you have a review coming up? Thanks.

Yep, hopefully later this month. They're really bass-heavy (and also just generally heavy...) but pretty good otherwise. Were even better at the $50 introductory price...

Stagediver SD-2?

Good match for sound but I don't think they can be had for <$300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back