Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #14,326 of 16,931
Hi Joker! 

First of all, just wanted to thank you for your absolutely astounding contribution to this forum. You reviews and advices really help a lot of people. 

I currently have a pair of Hifiman RE-400's. I love them. I love their balance and detail. 

However, I plan on buying something a bit higher end (so with the usual "upgrades", like more detail), with a bit more bass (not much more) but that still retains that balance. What are your advices up to about 250$?

Again, thanks!

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #14,327 of 16,931
  Hi,
thanks for the great comparison.
I would like some help deciding which IEMs to pick.
I'm looking for balanced sound, does not have to be neutral, but hopefully not artificial. Use would be mostly rock, classic rock and TV/Movies.
I have looked at Havi B3 pro - needs amp
 KC06 - not suitable for all types of music
VSD3s - possibly too bassy, not enough clarity?
Vivo XE800 - not much information on those

They should be suitable for prolonged use.
My best pick would probably be VSD3s. 

Many thanks for any advice.

I'm a big fan of the VSD3S. It's a balanced, slightly warm sound but isn't too bassy. It has a soft impact but is fairly well controlled and tight. It extends deep enough to feel some sub-bass. It's also very clear for a warmer type of signature due to its space and separation, though it doesn't seem like it's as clear or spacious as the Havis. For the genres you listed, you won't have a problem with it. I love them for everything in rock from Steely Dan to Arch Enemy. The XE800 are supposed to be based on the GR07, so that would probably be your best buy for the money (bhazard says they're GR07 quality at a VSD3 price), with the caveat that you have to get them through an agent, so they would take longer to reach you and you wouldn't get the warranty. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #14,328 of 16,931
  Hi,
thanks for the great comparison.
I would like some help deciding which IEMs to pick.
I'm looking for balanced sound, does not have to be neutral, but hopefully not artificial. Use would be mostly rock, classic rock and TV/Movies.
I have looked at Havi B3 pro - needs amp
 KC06 - not suitable for all types of music
VSD3s - possibly too bassy, not enough clarity?
Vivo XE800 - not much information on those

They should be suitable for prolonged use.
My best pick would probably be VSD3s. 

Many thanks for any advice.

Sorry, haven't tried the VSD3S, Havi B3, or the Vivo. I would throw in the UE600 at $50 as a good example of balanced, non-fatiguing sound. 

Hi Joker! 

First of all, just wanted to thank you for your absolutely astounding contribution to this forum. You reviews and advices really help a lot of people. 

I currently have a pair of Hifiman RE-400's. I love them. I love their balance and detail. 

However, I plan on buying something a bit higher end (so with the usual "upgrades", like more detail), with a bit more bass (not much more) but that still retains that balance. What are your advices up to about 250$?

Again, thanks!

That sounds like a TDK BA200 to me. I compared it to the RE-400 here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/tdk-ba200/ . I believe the BA200 has officially been discontinued but you can still find them on eBay and such. Another option is the Sony MDR-7550, but the BA200 is a better match IMO. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #14,329 of 16,931
Hi,
I currently listen mostly to RE0, which I absolutely love.
I'm looking into buying another IEM, in the sub 200$ department, that would sound differently, looking for a bigger sound with more bass (I have a pair of brainwavz R1, which brought the idea of bigger sound into my life).
Listening mostly out of unamped sources.

Few options that I though of:
- RHA MA750i
- Sony XBA 40 
- Rockit Sounds R-50
- TDK BA200
- VSONIC GR07 (is the classic color model good enough?)

Any comments and/or suggestions would be happily accepted.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #14,330 of 16,931
  Hi,
I'm looking into buying another IEM, in the sub 200$ department, that would sound differently, looking for a bigger sound with more bass (I have a pair of brainwavz R1, which brought the idea of bigger sound into my life).

- RHA MA750i
- Sony XBA 40 
- Rockit Sounds R-50
- TDK BA200

Thanks

There is a R3 , which adds some more bass to the RE0 but not much , still this has a huge sound stage , might not have as much details like re-400 but is good enough . and are cheap at $130 . I can tell you that BA200 and R-50 are more flatter then you want , bass is like linear , MA-750 got bass and is good too . you should consider eph-100 if you are after bass .
sadly im blank on xba40 , i have the xba3 which is not bass heavy but its good enough .

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #14,331 of 16,931
joker , can you compare me the ma-750 with R3  ? I have the R3 now , i like it but i wanna know if its worth getting the ma-750 .

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #14,332 of 16,931

There is a R3 , which adds some more bass to the RE0 but not much , still this has a huge sound stage , might not have as much details like re-400 but is good enough . and are cheap at [size=inherit]₪453.86 ($130)[/size] . I can tell you that BA200 and R-50 are more flatter then you want , bass is like linear , MA-750 got bass and is good too . you should consider eph-100 if you are after bass .
sadly im blank on xba40 , i have the xba3 which is not bass heavy but its good enough .

Do the MA750 have a BIG sound? I'm really impressed with their build quality, but fear they are more a basshead iem, rather than a balanced one with good bass.

I did get to try the sony XBA H2, with my source (galaxy s4), and was really impressed by the sound.
I wonder if XBA 40 could reproduce this experience.

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #14,333 of 16,931
  Do the MA750 have a BIG sound? I'm really impressed with their build quality, but fear they are more a basshead iem, rather than a balanced one with good bass.

I did get to try the sony XBA H2, with my source (galaxy s4), and was really impressed by the sound.
I wonder if XBA 40 could reproduce this experience.

no idea about the xba 40 or h2 , but ma-750 got bass , big enough . its not huge like xb90ex but big , i wonder of you can try a R3 , its more balanced with some bass , slightly more the re-400 , but i think you should go for dn-1000 would suit you more cuz it has lesser bass then ma-750 which is slow , not as fast as dn-1000 .

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #14,334 of 16,931

no idea about the xba 40 or h2 , but ma-750 got bass , big enough . its not huge like xb90ex but big , i wonder of you can try a R3 , its more balanced with some bass , slightly more the re-400 , but i think you should go for dn-1000 would suit you more cuz it has lesser bass then ma-750 which is slow , not as fast as dn-1000 .

Hey Suman,
Thanks for your help.
- Is the build quality of the DN-1000 anywhere near MA750?
- What is your impression of the sony xba 3? Is it driven easily by any source? Does it have a full sound with good bass response, and good detail?

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #14,335 of 16,931

Hey Suman,
Thanks for your help.
- Is the build quality of the DN-1000 anywhere near MA750?
- What is your impression of the sony xba 3? Is it driven easily by any source? Does it have a full sound with good bass response, and good detail?

xba 3 got good bass but its not much and got really nice details , not as much as re-400 but close , i like it because of its speed and PRAT , its a warm natural and slightly V shaped sounding earphone . amping helps cuz it has a really low impedance rating which is 12 ohm , and as you know its low enough to use an amp but its not necessary . I use it with my J3 with out any amp .
 dn-1000 has no real build issues , its not built like a ma750 buts its really good .

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #14,336 of 16,931
hi joker,

can you recommend me iem under $150.

bass is there, not big but also not lack ( must have more bass and rumble than B2&vc1000. coz i think they dont have rumble at all)

and good treble to complete.

the most important is it must have stellar stunning great mid and natural real sound. :bigsmile_face:

i listen to variety genre of music, especially jazz, vocal, accoustic, piano and guitar instrument (stacy kent, sara gazarek, jane monheit, alison krauss)

i consider re400 , tdk ba200 ,and fidelio s2. But i want to hear your recommendation

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #14,337 of 16,931
  hi joker,
  bass is there, not big but also not lack ( must have more bass and rumble than B2&vc1000. coz i think they dont have rumble at all)
  the most important is it must have stellar stunning great mid and natural real sound.
bigsmile_face.gif

i listen to variety genre of music, especially jazz, vocal, accoustic, piano and guitar instrument (stacy kent, sara gazarek, jane monheit, alison krauss)
  i consider re400 , tdk ba200 ,and fidelio s2. But i want to hear your recommendation

ba200 can fit the bill , not the re-400 , its has a small bass increment over b2 .

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #14,338 of 16,931
  Hi,

- RHA MA750i
- Sony XBA 40 
- Rockit Sounds R-50
- TDK BA200
- VSONIC GR07 (is the classic color model good enough?)

Thanks

Those are all pretty different-sounding. I would say that for bass you'll want at a GR07 Bass Edition over a regular one. The BA200 and R-50 have less bass than these. The R-50 especially is not a good buy if you want an upgrade in bass quantity from the RE0.

The MA750 has a lot more bass than the other sets you're considering, it's a borderline basshead earphone. Good in that context, but very different from an RE0.

joker , can you compare me the ma-750 with R3  ? I have the R3 now , i like it but i wanna know if its worth getting the ma-750 .

The MA750 is bassier and warmer, with less forward mids and a bit more lower treble. The R3 is more balanced overall, with less bass enhancement, more forward mids, and smoother treble.

hi joker,
  the most important is it must have stellar stunning great mid and natural real sound.
bigsmile_face.gif

GR07 Bass Edition can be had for $130 or so nowadays. It has slightly more bass than even the Fidelio S2. The midrange is better on the BA200 IMO but I think the GR07 BE is a worthy compromise if you thought the B2/VC1000 didn't have any bass. The RE-400 is most likely not a good buy for what you want. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #14,339 of 16,931
Thanks for the help , i think its not the one for me , may be the S2 .

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #14,340 of 16,931

Those are all pretty different-sounding. I would say that for bass you'll want at a GR07 Bass Edition over a regular one. The BA200 and R-50 have less bass than these. The R-50 especially is not a good buy if you want an upgrade in bass quantity from the RE0.

The MA750 has a lot more bass than the other sets you're considering, it's a borderline basshead earphone. Good in that context, but very different from an RE0.

The MA750 is bassier and warmer, with less forward mids and a bit more lower treble. The R3 is more balanced overall, with less bass enhancement, more forward mids, and smoother treble.

GR07 Bass Edition can be had for ₪453.86 () or so nowadays. It has slightly more bass than even the Fidelio S2. The midrange is better on the BA200 IMO but I think the GR07 BE is a worthy compromise if you thought the B2/VC1000 didn't have any bass. The RE-400 is most likely not a good buy for what you want. 

Hi ljokerl.
Thanks so much for the reply, and for this amazing thread.

- Can you comment regarding "sony-ish" sound with comparison to the main candidates above?
- Should t-peos altone2000 should be considered in this category?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back