Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #14,296 of 16,931
i'm sure it exists somewhere in these forums, but has anyone done a direct comparison between the astrotec ax-35 and the mee a161p? i'm a big fan of the a161p and looking to delve further into ba/hybrid without sacrificing a lot of low end. thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #14,297 of 16,931
  Hi Joker,

I saw your Piston review on Innerfidelity, thanks for sharing that.

I was wondering if you have any suggested EQ settings for a 10 band equalizer to get the sound closer to your liking.

Thank you.

Sorry, I don't really bother with EQ these days. If I had to start somewhere it would be by evening out the mid-bass hump of the Pistons, I think that's their biggest weakness. There's a nice tutorial (IMO) here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress You might also want to check the long Piston discussion thread to see if anyone posted any experiences EQing them. 

i'm sure it exists somewhere in these forums, but has anyone done a direct comparison between the astrotec ax-35 and the mee a161p? i'm a big fan of the a161p and looking to delve further into ba/hybrid without sacrificing a lot of low end. thanks in advance.

Well, the AX-35 certainly doesn't sacrifice anything at the low end - it's actually bassier than the A161P. Its signature is more v-shaped, however, and the mids are recessed in comparison to the A161P. The A161P is more neutral and to me more natural in tone. Treble on the AX35 is brighter but not behind in quality. The AX-35 is also more spacious while the A161P is more forward.

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #14,299 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

In your opinion what are the best sounding Dynamic driver IEMs you have ever heard. 

I ask this because recently it became apparent to me that BA sets are tonally incorrect. Now i haven't listened to any of the top of the line BAs but all those i have heard sound wrong whilst the Dynamics sound much more true to the sound of real instruments and voices.

I arrived at this conclusion after carefully listening (i mean really paying attention) to live music vs my stereo set up vs Dynamic driver IEMs vs BAs.

Is this something you agree with as a general principle ? Or am i just listening to the wrong BAs ?

When i say best Dynamic IEMs i mean in every  usual hifi sense. ie detail, resolving power, ambience bass detail, treble extension etc....  

Thanks

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #14,300 of 16,931
  Hi Joker,

In your opinion what are the best sounding Dynamic driver IEMs you have ever heard. 

I ask this because recently it became apparent to me that BA sets are tonally incorrect. Now i haven't listened to any of the top of the line BAs but all those i have heard sound wrong whilst the Dynamics sound much more true to the sound of real instruments and voices.

I arrived at this conclusion after carefully listening (i mean really paying attention) to live music vs my stereo set up vs Dynamic driver IEMs vs BAs.

Is this something you agree with as a general principle ? Or am i just listening to the wrong BAs ?

When i say best Dynamic IEMs i mean in every  usual hifi sense. ie detail, resolving power, ambience bass detail, treble extension etc....  

Thanks

to me there is no better dynamic then ex1000 or mdr7550 i have heard , the sense of space and separation is best from an dynamic . BA dont have that juice like dynamics but i havent heard much top of line BA phones .

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #14,301 of 16,931
  Hi Joker,

Thanks

You're not along with that opinion but I really think it's a matter of tuning as much as anything else. Some BA drivers just make it really hard to get the tonality right thanks to particular frequency response features (e.g. TWFK).

I tend to like HiFiMan dynamics best for smooth, natural, realistic sound. The now-defunct RE272 is my favorite. I really like the biocellulose drivers in the high-end Sonys and VSonics but they tend to be a little strident (except for the 7550, but that one's a little on the warm side). I have also been recommended the new DITA earphones very strongly for what's supposed to be the best dynamic drivers have to offer (this coming from another HiFiMan fan), but I don't know if I'll have a chance to try them myself. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #14,302 of 16,931

You're not along with that opinion but I really think it's a matter of tuning as much as anything else. Some BA drivers just make it really hard to get the tonality right thanks to particular frequency response features (e.g. TWFK).

I tend to like HiFiMan dynamics best for smooth, natural, realistic sound. The now-defunct RE272 is my favorite. I really like the biocellulose drivers in the high-end Sonys and VSonics but they tend to be a little strident (except for the 7550, but that one's a little on the warm side). I have also been recommended the new DITA earphones very strongly for what's supposed to be the best dynamic drivers have to offer (this coming from another HiFiMan fan), but I don't know if I'll have a chance to try them myself. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I actually have the DITA The Answer myself and it was through comparing that set to the Noble N4 and Fitear F111 that really cemented the opinion i expressed above. So it seems for now at least i have as good as i can reasonably expect. I have never tried HiFiMan sets but from what you have said they probably won't represent an upgrade.
If i ever get a chance to try without buying i certainly will.

Thanks again.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #14,303 of 16,931

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I actually have the DITA The Answer myself and it was through comparing that set to the Noble N4 and Fitear F111 that really cemented the opinion i expressed above. So it seems for now at least i have as good as i can reasonably expect. I have never tried HiFiMan sets but from what you have said they probably won't represent an upgrade.
If i ever get a chance to try without buying i certainly will.

Thanks again.

Doh.. should've looked at your signature. 

Gotta love a nice clear, balanced dynamic-driver earphone. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #14,304 of 16,931
Hi
I would like to buy a new pair of earbuds and I'm considering buying one of these:
Soundmagic e10
Soundmagic e30
Vsonic vsd1
Vsonic vsd1s

Maybe you can advise me which one is better or if there is a better earbuds for this price point?

With thanks

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #14,305 of 16,931
Hi
I would like to buy a new pair of earbuds and I'm considering buying one of these:
Soundmagic e10
Soundmagic e30
Vsonic vsd1
Vsonic vsd1s

Maybe you can advise me which one is better or if there is a better earbuds for this price point?

With thanks

what are you looking for mate , e30 is the most bass lite phone in the list but clarity and detail is behind vsd1/s , and vsd1 is the bassiest of this list , but has more control deatil and clarity , i havent heard the 1s though , and if you want some balance you should go for 1s cuz the word has it that 1s has more balance , if you enjoy V shaped sig , go for vsd1 .

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #14,307 of 16,931
Thank you for helping.
I'm looking for an overall good earphones
I want it to have a good bass but it's not extremely important.
What you mean by "v shaped sig"?

by V i mean mids are not as prominent as bass and highs , if you are looking for a fun sounding phone , vsd1 will serve you well .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back