Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 27, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #15,076 of 16,931
Actually looking to buy a DAC+ an IEM + a over ear. ljokerl already suggested to get M50X so will try to see a price drop this BF and buy one.

Regarding my audio preference, I add up a bit of bass to my piston v2.1 and its close to what I like to hear. Loved UE6000 in cancelling mode(without any bass boost) and it suited me perfectly though was very much uncomfortable & had to return it.

For IEM looking between GR 07 classic and GR07 Bass Edition, though inclined on buying BE

Looking up on FiiO E7K as a DAC primarily to boost bass with desktop as a source. So, E7K+ M50X and GR07 BE would be good enough for me? Or should I take FiiO E11? Thanks!

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #15,077 of 16,931
Hi Joker! Can you suggest a new IEM for me? I picked up a pair of Velodyne V-Pulse last year and loved the sound but hated their build quality. I listen to a lot of Suicide Commando, KMFDM and Nine Inch Nails and really enjoyed the bass in the V-Pulse. I have several other headphone and IEMs a set of Astro A50's which sound great for heavy music, a pair of Yamaha 500 which are all around just amazing and a couple more cans and IEMs. None of those have that unique sound the Velodynes had for Industrial music and I would like to find a better pair of IEMs that do and I also wouldnt mind a suggestion for some Over-Ears that sound like that. Thanks for the help!

Edit: I would like to stick in the sub-$200 price range unless there is something in tje $300-$350 price range that you think would blow my mind!

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #15,078 of 16,931

Thanks a lot. I know the Monoprices have bass in quantity but not in quality, and the treble's not the best. Do the Soundmagics fix those parts and with more detail? Do you have other recommendations in that price catagory? Predecessor PL30 maybe at $10 lower for example?

They just lack extension - the E30 improves on that and has smoother treble. But if you're used to the more mid-focused sound of the Monoprice now, you might find that lacking with the Soundmagics. For the price and with balanced sound they're still one of the better options, though.

Actually looking to buy a DAC+ an IEM + a over ear. ljokerl already suggested to get M50X so will try to see a price drop this BF and buy one.

Regarding my audio preference, I add up a bit of bass to my piston v2.1 and its close to what I like to hear. Loved UE6000 in cancelling mode(without any bass boost) and it suited me perfectly though was very much uncomfortable & had to return it.

For IEM looking between GR 07 classic and GR07 Bass Edition, though inclined on buying BE

Looking up on FiiO E7K as a DAC primarily to boost bass with desktop as a source. So, E7K+ M50X and GR07 BE would be good enough for me? Or should I take FiiO E11? Thanks!

Even the GR07 BE is not as bassy as a Piston, especially a Piston with added bass. It's a great earphone, just that "bass edition" is a bit of a misnomer except when compared to the regular GR07. However, it sounds like you're moving in a more neutral direction with your setup so maybe it is the right choice. Plus, not sure about the E11, but the E7 has some bass boost functionality.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #15,079 of 16,931
Hi Joker! Can you suggest a new IEM for me? I picked up a pair of Velodyne V-Pulse last year and loved the sound but hated their build quality. I listen to a lot of Suicide Commando, KMFDM and Nine Inch Nails and really enjoyed the bass in the V-Pulse. I have several other headphone and IEMs a set of Astro A50's which sound great for heavy music, a pair of Yamaha 500 which are all around just amazing and a couple more cans and IEMs. None of those have that unique sound the Velodynes had for Industrial music and I would like to find a better pair of IEMs that do and I also wouldnt mind a suggestion for some Over-Ears that sound like that. Thanks for the help!

Edit: I would like to stick in the sub-$200 price range unless there is something in tje $300-$350 price range that you think would blow my mind!

HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 would be a good one. It's "only" $100-ish but has what is probably the most deep bass among all the IEMs I've tried. Build quality is not amazing by any means but there's nothing that sounds quite like it if you like sub-bass-oriented sound signatures like that of the vPulse. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #15,080 of 16,931

Even the GR07 BE is not as bassy as a Piston, especially a Piston with added bass. It's a great earphone, just that "bass edition" is a bit of a misnomer except when compared to the regular GR07. However, it sounds like you're moving in a more neutral direction with your setup so maybe it is the right choice. Plus, not sure about the E11, but the E7 has some bass boost functionality.

Thanks. Now, stuck on GR07 classic or GR07 BE, is it worth spending 30$ more for BE? From what I've read, Classic is 98% close to GR07 signature & your review says +1/+2 boost on lows for BE . GR07 classic is @ 77$, GR07 BE is @ 107$ now at BF Lendmeurears store

Bought FiiO E17 just now @ 87$, looking to pair with it, which one of those would be ideal for me? I think E17 got a good bass boost setting. Thanks!

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #15,081 of 16,931
HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 would be a good one. It's "only" $100-ish but has what is probably the most deep bass among all the IEMs I've tried. Build quality is not amazing by any means but there's nothing that sounds quite like it if you like sub-bass-oriented sound signatures like that of the vPulse. 

Thanks! I was had hoped to find something a bit higher priced and sturdier but I will check these out. I love the sub-bass oriented sound signature for my industrial music and working out so I guess I shouldnt spend too much on IEM's just for those purposes since my Yamaha's and A50's cover my other sound needs well. I might pick up a pair of Yamaha EPH-100SL's as well they look nice :)

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #15,082 of 16,931
  Thanks. Now, stuck on GR07 classic or GR07 BE, is it worth spending 30$ more for BE? From what I've read, Classic is 98% close to GR07 signature & your review says +1/+2 boost on lows for BE . GR07 classic is @ 77$, GR07 BE is @ 107$ now at BF Lendmeurears store

Bought FiiO E17 just now @ 87$, looking to pair with it, which one of those would be ideal for me? I think E17 got a good bass boost setting. Thanks!

I would go for the BE - it's a small different between them but I'm quite sure you'll like the BE better between the two.

Never tried the E17 - my experience with the Fiio line "tops out" with the E7.

Quote:
Thanks! I was had hoped to find something a bit higher priced and sturdier but I will check these out. I love the sub-bass oriented sound signature for my industrial music and working out so I guess I shouldnt spend too much on IEM's just for those purposes since my Yamaha's and A50's cover my other sound needs well. I might pick up a pair of Yamaha EPH-100SL's as well they look nice
smily_headphones1.gif

The EPH-100 would be my second choice but the Wooduo has a leaner, more crisp sound that I think is a better match for the vPulse. If you can get both, by all means do! EPH-100 is fantastic for genres like hip-hop, EDM, top40, etc, but for rock & metal I'd rather use the HiSound.

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #15,083 of 16,931
  I haven't tried the universal Noble 4 myself. I did try the 6 but it has a very different sound signature that won't work for you.

Thank you ljokerl. I asked the team at Noble about the IEM Noble 4 to confirm is it is the same as the Noble 4s/c and they confirmed it is the universal version. Based on your enthusiastic review of the Noble 4s, and your comparisons with the HE-400 and Ety ER4P, two headphones I have and enjoy a lot, I went and ordered a Noble 4 universal. I hope this is the next step up for me. I will report back once I get the Noble 4 and can compare with the HE-400 and Ety ER4P.

Thank you again for your kind assistance during the section process!
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #15,086 of 16,931
Hello ljokerl and everyone else on this thread,

I'm looking to gift a friend a pair of IEMs for her birthday. I have a budget of about 50 USD. Criteria are:

1. Fairly balanced sound, or a 'warm and smooth' signature, without losing much treble presence and air. Don't want something V-shaped. Something balanced and with good presence across the frequency range, without being too exaggerated in any area. Should not have an anaemic low-end, but shouldn't be bloated or basshead either. For reference, the HiFiMan RE-400 fits my sonic criteria, but the build quality is too poor for me to feel confident about gifting it to someone.
  2. Clarity and resolution is important, doesn't need to be outstanding, but definitely 'great', to the extent that one can achieve within this budget.
  3. Build quality - this gift needs to last. For reference, I consider the HiFiMan RE-400 to be poorly built, and the VSonic GR07 and VSD3S (FIXED cable) to be fairly good.
  4. Something not prone to overexposing sibilance. This strikes off the VSonic VSD1S, for example.
  5. Isolation should be at least above average.

Suggestions and options?

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #15,087 of 16,931

I'm looking to gift a friend a pair of IEMs for her birthday. I have a budget of about 50 USD. Criteria are:

1. Fairly balanced sound, or a 'warm and smooth' signature, without losing much treble presence and air. Don't want something V-shaped. Something balanced and with good presence across the frequency range, without being too exaggerated in any area. Should not have an anaemic low-end, but shouldn't be bloated or basshead either. For reference, the HiFiMan RE-400 fits my sonic criteria, but the build quality is too poor for me to feel confident about gifting it to someone.
  2. Clarity and resolution is important, doesn't need to be outstanding, but definitely 'great', to the extent that one can achieve within this budget.
  3. Build quality - this gift needs to last. For reference, I consider the HiFiMan RE-400 to be poorly built, and the VSonic GR07 and VSD3S (FIXED cable) to be fairly good.
  4. Something not prone to overexposing sibilance. This strikes off the VSonic VSD1S, for example.

Suggestions and options?

Hmm, how about something like the TTPOD T1-E, Ostry KC06, or Fidue A63? 
$35, $48, $60

I'd say those are good options. Ostry KC06 would maybe be good minus subpar isolation, but it seems built well. The T-1E, which I have, is a little bass oriented, though still very good for the price! But it can have a little quality problems, at least mine and a couple others' did. A63 might be a better choice. Supposedly midcentric, with good bass presence and smooth but fairly detailed treble.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #15,088 of 16,931

Suggestions and options?

Soundmagic E10 or RE300H (not sure about the build quality) could meet those criterias. 
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #15,089 of 16,931

Hmm, how about something like the TTPOD T1-E, Ostry KC06, or Fidue A63? 
$35, $48, $60

I'd say those are good options. Ostry KC06 would maybe be good minus subpar isolation, but it seems built well. The T-1E, which I have, is a little bass oriented, though still very good for the price! But it can have a little quality problems, at least mine and a couple others' did. A63 might be a better choice. Supposedly midcentric, with good bass presence and smooth but fairly detailed treble.

Soundmagic E10 or RE300H (not sure about the build quality) could meet those criterias. 
wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. The Ostry is out because of the isolation, yes. Heard about QC issues with the TTPOD, so that's not a serious contender to me. I'll look closer at the Fidue A63, though, thank you for that suggestions.

I've used the E10 and wasn't very impressed at all, but the RE300H could be just the ticket, if the build quality sufficiently convinces me. Time to head over to its thread.

Any opinions on how the SteelSeries Flux IEM (not the Flux Pro) fits my requirements?

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #15,090 of 16,931
Thanks for the suggestions. The Ostry is out because of the isolation, yes. Heard about QC issues with the TTPOD, so that's not a serious contender to me. I'll look closer at the Fidue A63, though, thank you for that suggestions.

I've used the E10 and wasn't very impressed at all, but the RE300H could be just the ticket, if the build quality sufficiently convinces me. Time to head over to its thread.

Any opinions on how the SteelSeries Flux IEM (not the Flux Pro) fits my requirements?

HouseofDoom had problems with his RE300h strain relief. Twister said they were pretty warm and bassy too.
Mocked had some trouble with durability on his Steelseries Flux, and I've read about a few durability issues so I didn't recommend that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back