ms2 vs hf-1
Mar 27, 2006 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
in light of the pending sale of some hf-1s i thought i would get some. However, there are only 17 left so its gonna be a crap shoot. So as alternative im looking at ms2s. I have listened to hf-1s,225,325s,ps-1s(my favs) at a recent meet. comparisons would be great.

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 7
Mids are more forward and in the head sounding with the HF1, yet still the HF1 doesn't have the aggressive upper mids that are characteristic of the 225, 325 and RS1. Bass and midbass is more bloated in the HF1, and more one-note sounding.

MS2 has better extension at the ends of the spectrum. Doesn't have the upper-bass bloat. Mids are less aggressive and more spaced out left and right. MS2 has more treble sparkle and articulation.

IMHO the MS2 has slightly better detail resolution too.

IMHO of course,
Garrett

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Mids are more forward and in the head sounding with the HF1, yet still the HF1 doesn't have the aggressive upper mids that are characteristic of the 225, 325 and RS1. Bass and midbass is more bloated in the HF1, and more one-note sounding.

MS2 has better extension at the ends of the spectrum. Doesn't have the upper-bass bloat. Mids are less aggressive and more spaced out left and right. MS2 has more treble sparkle and articulation.

IMHO the MS2 has slightly better detail resolution too.

IMHO of course,
Garrett

Seems pretty spot on to me. Compared the two again last night, actually. The MS2 is definitely a more articulate and precise headphone, and a good deal drier than the HF-1. The HF-1 is much bassier, and a lot warmer.

Both sounded better than the SR225.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
so out of the two what would work better, if i like AT sound?

where are you in N Cal?

PM me if youre in San Jose. If you want and we can meet up over lunch and you can listen to my HF1 and MS2 for yourself
biggrin.gif

Note though that my HF1 is modded, although I don't think it sounds that much different from an un-modded one.

Garrett

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
so out of the two what would work better, if i like AT sound?

Man, I dunno. I just don't find too many similarities between the AT sound and the Grado sound... which AT sound do you like though, the lesser midranged A900 type, or the forward midranged wood types?

The HF1 has more midrange warmth, if that helps.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 7
i like the high end air types
biggrin.gif
I think the limiting factor will be if i can get an HF-1. If i can that, ill get some ms2 also and listen to both on my personal gear to see what i like best. I dont think ill have a prob reselling either one. I live in hayward but i work off montaque expressway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back