MS2 owners....
May 24, 2005 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought some MS2s.... After having completely fallen head over heels for my little SR40.

What can I expect (my first time buying something without demoing first). I have auditioned all the grados below the SR225.

How much do I have to spend to get an amp thats worthy? Will my electric avenue PA2 and audio technica HA2 do them justice (cringe... bracing for wallet impact)? Im already being "pulled" towards an SR71.

Ugh!!!
Garrett

**edit**
Also, Im NOT that critical of a listener. I rarely disect every mallet strike, or kettle drum impact. Instead of disecting acoustic guitar attack / decay, Im grooving to the melody/harmony of the tune. Im usually headbanging to Iron maiden, Dreamtheater or mellowing out to Marillion and blue oyster cult.

May 24, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Sounds to me like the MS-2 is about as high as you'll ever have to go in the Grado chain - you'll find deeper more impactful bass, a bit more soundstage, killer mids, and an even high presentation, less raggedy than, say the SR225 (and guaranteed to be better than the SR40 probably!) Congrats and sorry about your wallet! (BTW The MS-2 should do just fine with those amps methinks!)

May 24, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 10
Just a heads up, burn in makes a world of difference with these cans. After 80 hours mine totally smoothed out and just became much more musical. I thought the transformation was complete.

However, I have been burning in my SuperMacro for the last 5 or so days and since then the MS2i's have changed even more! Totally musical and easy to listen to, great fast and punchy bass and sparkling highs. Not the same beast that I took out of the box at all. Well, I guess it is, just much more so.

I love them.

As for amping, they sound great but a little hungry through a headhone out, but paired with an amp (smv3 in my case) they just totally sing. I don't see why they shouldn't sound amazing from your existing amps.

May 24, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 10
"I have auditioned all the grados below the SR225."

Actually, the real Grado line only begins at the MS-2 / MS-2i / SR-325 / SR-325i. They are the true "entry level" to world of Grado bliss.

- augustwest

May 24, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest

Actually, the real Grado line only begins at the MS-2 / MS-2i / SR-325 / SR-325i. They are the true "entry level" to world of Grado bliss.

- augustwest

i would have to disagree. i've heard all of the grados but the ps-1, and the sr40.

but the grado bliss begins where it starts, with the sr60s.

May 24, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
i would have to disagree. i've heard all of the grados but the ps-1, and the sr40.

but the grado bliss begins where it starts, with the sr60s.

I secound that. Although I decided not to buy sr60 few years back, I ended up with sr80 which is really amazing for the price. I now have 325i and they sound similar with 325i having large sound stage and better everything else. But you can def tell both are grado, and mind you comming off an ipod headphone out, sr80 is way more portable (in a broader sense) than 325i with its easy to scrach ear cups.

May 25, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 10
You'll love them.

and dont worry about the amp. they really dont benefit that much from amp upgrades. right now i'm at uni listening to them out of my rio karma..

i found much bigger sound quality upgrades by upgrading my source for very cheap (DIY) than i have playing with a few different amps..

May 25, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 10
The things I liked best about the MS-2is was that after each 24 hour burn in, the instrument placing became more precise and enjoyable even without an amp. If you love the 40s, you'll enjoy these bunches i'm sure. They were also the most polite, in regards to brutal treble, of the Grado can's I have heard (admittedly not too many).

May 25, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Im usually headbanging to Iron maiden, Dreamtheater or mellowing out to Marillion and blue oyster cult.

The MS-2 is the best can I have heard for Iron Maiden yet, The MS-Pro is good for the warmer and/or better recordings of iron maiden but makes some of them not sound as good .. whereas the MS-2 ..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back