MS1s require more volume than my px100s to shine?
Jun 19, 2005 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

robzy

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Ive had my MS1s for a good few months now, but I still often find myself listening to a song and going "hrm, i really would prefer this on my px100". My px100s seem to have so much depth to them, and a much "groovier" and smooth soundstage, but i dont think thats all it is.

I find that the MS1s require a lot more volume so that things dont sound "muted". I find that vocals and midranges tend to feel muffled and muddy, and only a good deal of volume can bring them back to the front and let me enjoy the music.

Is this a common problem?

Rob.

Jun 19, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 10
I dont know about those headphones but I find the same thing between some of my headphones. I find the hd201 needs to be a lot louder than the ksc35 or the sporta pros to sound good sometimes. But that could be impedance or somethng, I dunno this stuff...
confused.gif

Zach

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
*small bumpage*

So is this a well known problem? And am i jut going to have to deal with turning my MS1s up?

Rob.

Is it possible that the MS1's don't isolate as well as the PX100's so you need that volume boost to gain the same level of detail?
confused.gif
- The MS1's aren't a hard load to drive...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Is it possible that the MS1's don't isolate as well as the PX100's so you need that volume boost to gain the same level of detail?
confused.gif
- The MS1's aren't a hard load to drive...
smily_headphones1.gif

I wasnt nesacarily saying that i have to turn the volume knob up. Im saying that that how the perceived volume has to be louder.

Maybe my ears/head are playing tricks on me?

Rob.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 10
When I up the volume, I feel the ms-1 really opens up, especially in the bass. Perhaps the cans are getting more current...

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
what source are you driving them off and do you have a headphone amp as well?

Straight off my nforce2 soundstorm.

I do have a PIMETA which i beleive makes a different, but its offline at the moment due to PSU troubles.

I dont remember the PIMETA making a heap of difference though, only a little.

Rob.

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
eek.gif
- Do your ears a favour and invest in an AV710 at least! - Soundstorm... [shudders]

Custom DIY DAC on the way...! The nForce quite frankly does suck.

Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back