MS1s + comfort = ???
Dec 13, 2007 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

serqrevp

New Head-Fier
So after reading through numerous posts I ended up purchasing the MS1s. I really do enjoy them and I love their sound, but... I can only wear them for short periods of time. No matter what mods I try, they are just not comfortable. I spend hours in front of a computer and listening to music and I need something I can wear for extended periods of time.

I have a pair of beyerdynamic DT231s that I bought years ago. They're not great, but I find them really comfortable. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good compromise between the Grado/Alessandro sound with a pair of headphones that are really comfortable? I realize this would be a compromise. So far, from what I've read, the ATH-AD700 may be a good fit?

I'm using a desktop as my source with a Total BitHead Amp. I don't really care if the headphones are opened or closed. I'm also looking for something in the $100 price range... $200 is too much.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 24
Have you tried the Grado sock-mod? Makes the cups circum-aural, greatly increasing the comfort. Also darkens the presentation slightly.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 24
Grado C-Pads, Grado Pads

but it's more expensive than the MS1
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 24
There is always the option to buy the stock SR-60 comfy pads. You'll lose some soundstage and clarity but the comfort will be a lot better. Pad rolling is the fun of Grado headphones. You should try some. There is the senns HD414 (IIRC) yellow pads also. Very cheap, althought i've never tried, so can't comment on comfort ...

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 24
I find my MS1's more comfortable than my HD580's. The MS1's are so light and put no pressure on my head. I always forget theyre on'

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is always the option to buy the stock SR-60 comfy pads. You'll lose some soundstage and clarity but the comfort will be a lot better. Pad rolling is the fun of Grado headphones. You should try some. There is the senns HD414 (IIRC) yellow pads also. Very cheap, althought i've never tried, so can't comment on comfort ...

MS-1's come with comfy pads
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 24
ATH-AD700 is probably one of the most comfortable headphone out there, but personally I don't find MS-1 to be uncomfortable, only a bit itchy before the foam break in...

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 24
At first: I dont' find the MS1 really uncomfortable. If you change the original pads and use e.g. the Bowls, IHMO the comfort is good enough. The cheap and mid-range Grados are lightweight, most of the time I don't even realise wearing them.

To improve comfort, you could put on the pads from the GS1000. I tried it with my SR225 and it didn't work out pretty well. They lost their specific sound, mids were a bit recessed, bass became thinner. On the other hand, comfort became better
wink.gif

So you probably should get another headphone. The AD700 could be a good choice. I often heard that they're quite comfortable...
Speaking of AT: Why don't you consider the A700? I had the A900 for a couple of months and I consider them the most comfortable headphones I ever had - except for usage in summertime when it got hot with those things on
biggrin.gif

If you think that the DT231 is very comfortable, consider the DT531, too. Good headphone for its price, a real "allrounder". In Germany, you can easily get a pair below 100$ - used but often as good as new.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 24
The Goldring DR150 is about as close to MS1 + comfort with price about $100 I've ever come across.

The Audio Technicas have a different sound from the MS1, but they are comfortable. The DT531 is good too, with the pace of MS1 but different flavor of sound, and extremely comfy. But they are very hard to find for ~$100 unless you're in Europe.

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sai-bot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To improve comfort, you could put on the pads from the GS1000. I tried it with my SR225 and it didn't work out pretty well. They lost their specific sound, mids were a bit recessed, bass became thinner. On the other hand, comfort became better
wink.gif

Come on, be honest, your SR225 (and all my Alessandros) sound like sh#t with big bowls.
cool.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, be honest, your SR225 (and all my Alessandros) sound like sh#t with big bowls.
cool.gif

That's kind of what I wanted to say. Too sophisticated?
biggrin.gif
...must be the unusual language
rolleyes.gif

To put it in a nutshell: Big bowls for your MS1 - absolutely NOT recommended! (except for the comfort
wink.gif
)

@Nico: Better?
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 24
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back