MS1i. To FiiO Or Not To FiiO.
Jul 27, 2010 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JonnySayer

Head-Fier
My Grandad who is Super-Uber-Legendary just ordered me a pair of Alessandro MS1i's and I was wondering is it worth buying a FiiO E5 (or possibly E1) to amp them? My main source is an iPod Touch (Third Generation 32GB if that matters?) but sometimes it will be my PC. Also if there are some better amps of a similar size and price please post!

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
My Grandad who is Super-Uber-Legendary just ordered me a pair of Alessandro MS1i's and I was wondering is it worth buying a FiiO E5 (or possibly E1) to amp them? My main source is an iPod Touch (Third Generation 32GB if that matters?) but sometimes it will be my PC. Also if there are some better amps of a similar size and price please post!

Don't bother with an E5. My Grado SR60i's sound decent enough out of my sister's Touch without a seperate amp.

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 10
with that budget? get the E1 
smile.gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 10
Might buy some Bowl pads instead then. Thanks for the advice!

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 10
I actually quite like the Fiio E5 for my MS-1i (which already has bowls). It does clear things up a bit, and I like the bass boost for some songs. But it's certainly not a necessity for the MS-1i, and if the choice was between the bowls and the E5, I'd get the bowls first.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Might buy some Bowl pads instead then. Thanks for the advice!

This is exactly what I'd do instead of buying a FiiO. Save money for a proper amp later

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 10
E5 won't do any "noticeable" difference beside the regular amping, volume increase and bass bump if you put the option on, and if you're fine with that go for it.  But, I'm with kite7, just use the $20 and buy bowls. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 10
I don't know much about the MS1i, but I do however own an iPod Touch and a Fiio E1 and E5. Personally I prefer the E5 with a cheap LOD over the E1 if you do decide to get one. The E1 is nice because it has the iPod control stuff, but I like the Fiio E5 because of the bass boost option, and it can be used with anything, not just limited to an iPod. Originally I thought I would only be using my iPod until I got a dac for my pc and now that has become my primary source and sometimes I like to use the E5 with it. Also I feel that the E5 is greater build quality. My E1 has a rattling noise in the connector, and the song skip buttons get stuck sometimes. Just my 2 cents :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back