MS Pro or Grado RS2?
Oct 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

knopi

500+ Head-Fier
I can buy new Grado RS2 for 680$ in my country (crazy price in europe I know) or Alessandro MS Pro for 699$ from their official website. Price around 700$ is not problem for me becose I want my dream headphone.

So I'm interested who prefer one of them more? ...

My source will be DAC from MHDT Laboratory. Amplifier want to buy in future during year, I have to buy step by step... I consider mainly Trafomatic Experience HEAD ONE or Woo WA6 (stock) or Eddie Current ECSS or Mapletree Ear Purist HD or something else good tube amfilier...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dif...ms-pro-375521/

Oct 31, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 19
I'll recommend you to get neither of these 2. The RS2 is a small improvement from the SR225 and not really worth its price. The MS Pro is just lacking, too much bass and lacks the Grado sound. Go for the RS1 or nothing.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 19
RS2 are better than SR225 in many ways, imo. And if you are look closer to FS forum, you may get a nice deal on them. I have got my, in the past, for USD 380 shipped only, not bad at all. But if you push a bit to like USD 600 you will get RS1, almost new or new, or even USD 500 is possible, but you may need an amp for them, EC/SS or something.

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll recommend you to get neither of these 2. The RS2 is a small improvement from the SR225 and not really worth its price. The MS Pro is just lacking, too much bass and lacks the Grado sound. Go for the RS1 or nothing.

Completely don't agree. The RS1 are just a tad better than the RS2, while the SR225's are significantly worse than the SR325i model, disputable improvement over the SR60's. I picked up the GS1000's recently and still enjoy the RS2's very much. There are some fields where they excel the RS1's - it's the impression of being right there. The RS1 are better for analysis and picking up hidden ambience details. The RS2 synthesize the whole music into a life-like realm better. They might be less fatiguing as well, if any. With a proper amp they have a great tone. I know the MS2i and if other Alessandro's are similar - I don't care for such presentation at all.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 19
I currently own both the MS-Pro and RS2 and I like my MS-Pros better in my main system (see sig). Bigger soundstage, more open sound. deeper bass and better treble extension. However, my RS2 sounds better with my desktop system (see sig). The more forward sound of the RS2 complements the very laid back sound of my vintage Panasonic portable CD player.

Quote:

The MS Pro is just lacking, too much bass and lacks the Grado sound. Go for the RS1 or nothing.

Interesting. I've owned both the RS-1 and MS-Pro at the same time and would say that the RS-1 has more bass of the two. We certainly hear things differently.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

The MS Pro sounds nearly identical to a non-vintage RS-1 in a decent setup. I think you are exaggerating their differences here.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 19
RS2 must be great becose I loved even SR225, MS-Pro is top model.
However if I will buy RS2 for 480$+40$ shipping it is definitely good price for new or MS-pro for 699$ including shipping it isn' bad as well. Better sound is my priority but without hearing
regular_smile .gif
hard to decide

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 19
RS2 is so musical with "on your face" grado sound, but with MSPro it's like you're analyzing the music and have neutral presentation,
i never tap my feet with MSPro

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 19
MS-Pros have lots of bass? wha?

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 19
Hey there guys, hope I can be of some help here. Having owned the RS-2's, RS-1's and MS-Pros at the same time for about 9 months. Don't like to use fancy termanoligy or anything of the sorts but simply how my experiences were. Running out of a DAC1 and amp in my sig I got this impression:

RS-2: Cheap and echoey sounding in comparison. Was the first that I owned and what got me into grados, loved it until I came across its bigger brothers. Made me get into my music and put a smile on my face until...

MS-Pro: Much more accurate and clear, with much more details in vocals and guitars. Not quite the rock out with your **** out nature of the RS-2's... although a bit more volume solved this problem for shorter spells.

RS-1's: The pick of the bunch for me, a nice balance of the two in my mind. Managed to maintain the accuracy of the Pro's while still making me really enjoy my music. Didn't end up doing much detailed listening with these as I just got lost in the music. My pick of the bunch purely because of the pleasure they brought me.

Just on the side, I don't really see myself as an audiophile but just love to hear my music in a nice accurate manner, but with the focus being on what mood they can get me in. See rock out with **** out. Prob not the most useful of comparisons but I'm more than willing to try and pinpoint differences on request.

Cheers and happy listening
Jake

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there guys, hope I can be of some help here. Having owned the RS-2's, RS-1's and MS-Pros at the same time for about 9 months. Don't like to use fancy termanoligy or anything of the sorts but simply how my experiences were. Running out of a DAC1 and amp in my sig I got this impression:

RS-2: Cheap and echoey sounding in comparison. Was the first that I owned and what got me into grados, loved it until I came across its bigger brothers. Made me get into my music and put a smile on my face until...

MS-Pro: Much more accurate and clear, with much more details in vocals and guitars. Not quite the rock out with your **** out nature of the RS-2's... although a bit more volume solved this problem for shorter spells.

RS-1's: The pick of the bunch for me, a nice balance of the two in my mind. Managed to maintain the accuracy of the Pro's while still making me really enjoy my music. Didn't end up doing much detailed listening with these as I just got lost in the music. My pick of the bunch purely because of the pleasure they brought me.

Just on the side, I don't really see myself as an audiophile but just love to hear my music in a nice accurate manner, but with the focus being on what mood they can get me in. See rock out with **** out. Prob not the most useful of comparisons but I'm more than willing to try and pinpoint differences on request.

Cheers and happy listening
Jake

I'll be making my judgements next week, when I get my hands on MS-Pro's. Then I have the whole trio at my disposal.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be making my judgements next week, when I get my hands on MS-Pro's. Then I have the whole trio at my disposal.

Look forward to your impression...

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 19
The first Grado I bought was RS-2, then also got MS Pro's. Sold the RES-2. 9months to a year later got a pair of semi-vintage RS-1. It became clear how rolled-off in the treble the MS Pro's are - sold them. So, today happy with RS-1 and HP-2 (besides a bunch of Darths).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back