MS-Pro? Excellent.
Jul 1, 2005 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Squeek

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got a very well cared for pair of MS-Pro from a fellow Headfier. What a nice pair of cans! Beautiful to look at and exactly what I was looking for in headphones.

Needless to say I am very pleased.

I upgraded from a pair of MS2i (which now belong to Ken_Loo) and could not be happier. The MS-Pro have a similar sound signature, only much more so. Eric Clapton has never sounded so good!

Now all I need is to audition a pair of John Grado cans! (hint hint GoRedWings and Ken_Loo)

Cheers,

Squeek

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 13
Sqeek, im glad to hear everything turned out. If you thought they sound good, you have to hear them out of a NAD. We've discussed the reasons why, and i am not going to go into more detail here, but im still waiting for the amp to arrive at my US box. I will let you know when it comes in.

Regarding your new cans. That is exactly how i felt when i received them from George Alessandro. To me, its like a totally refined sound. Perfected, redesigned, elite. My biggest gripe with the Grado RS series was its coloration, yet with the MSPRO's being so close in construction i thought i would be walking into yet another wall. I was wrong, to me, they souded just as neutral as my Dyns. Balanced yet powerful and exciting.

Well Squeek, i hope you enjoy them for many days to come. I myself have taken on the challange of obtaining some HP-2's, however hard u think it might be, take that and multiply it by 10. And if or when i get those im out for a while. There has probably been way too much hype surrounding the HP-2's, and all the spotlight taken off such fine phones as your MSPRO's, but i look at it as an achievment, them being discontinued and all.

Alright Squeek, have fun listening. Also, you have to hear the RS series....Just to see how different the two beasts are. I have left feedback in your folder. It was a pleasure dealing with you.

Rhydon.

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 13
isnt zanth's old HP2 selling in the forums right now for 600 shipped? you may want to run down there...

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 13
looks like you already put in a IC
cool.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76231

i bet zanth wouldn't mind a PM asking about condition/sound as well, in case the current owner is MIA.
And dont let the cable fool you - some folks like the standard cable better, there is debate about whether that cable is actually the most recent/improved version over the high bandwidth one. I hear it has more bass! also if zanth can vouch for it being a HP2 and not a HP3 there is no need for a box to verify imho. so basically you get a HP2 and knock off 300 bucks from the normal rate due to lack of lettering...

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 13
Hi,

I currently have the MS2i headphone. I absolutely love the sound signature and it pairs very well with my SMv3 with AD744 and Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CDP.

Upgradis is very slowly creeping on, and I seem to be looking at the RS-1s more and more. However, I wanna keep with the MS2i sound, hence I am abit reluctant about the RS-1. What are the differences and improvements of the MSPRO over the MS2i?

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Had both cocurrently and loved each of them - the comfort of the MS-pros is simply "much better" but the sound is only just perceptably different. Notice I said different... the aluminium cups on the MS-2 made them sound less "resonant" or woody to my ears. This might be a plus or minus depending on how you read it but the sound signature itself was very, very close between the two.

All up I think the MS-2 is one of the bargains in headphones and the ms-pros are simply a bit better... mainly because of comfort.

I would have kept the ms-pros over the ms-2s except the price made them prohibitively expensive to keep and not use - the SA5000 took over the most used spot to the point of almost complete exclusion of other cans. But I still get a buzz out of the ms-2s when I do listen to them.

Have fun,

TonyAAA

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Ken,

One of these days soon I plan to invite myself over for a good listening session! I'm dying to hear a Raptor as well, so you may have a hard time making me leave once I get there.

At first listen, the MS-Pro are easily superior to the ms2i. The differences are easily discernable. It is much more refined, wider headstage, and they'll just go lower than the ms2i.

Don't get me wrong, the ms2i is a beautiful can, amazing value and totally enjoyable. It's just not as refined as the MS-Pro.

Are they worth the extra $$? Yes. For me at least.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
Ken,

One of these days soon I plan to invite myself over for a good listening session! I'm dying to hear a Raptor as well, so you may have a hard time making me leave once I get there.

At first listen, the MS-Pro are easily superior to the ms2i. The differences are easily discernable. It is much more refined, wider headstage, and they'll just go lower than the ms2i.

Don't get me wrong, the ms2i is a beautiful can, amazing value and totally enjoyable. It's just not as refined as the MS-Pro.

Are they worth the extra $$? Yes. For me at least.

If you like the ms-pro's then you probably wouldn't like the John Grado's version of it the Rs-1's. The Ms-pro's doen't have the highs of the Rs-1's also bass is slightly tighter on the Ms-pro's but there seems to be less of it.

They both have the colouration to the same amount and the same detail. It's just the MS-pro's are voiced(???) by george Alessandro.

If I had to describe the Ms-pro's quickly in one sentence, it would be Rs-1's without the fun but that's just me.

I am glad you found your dream phone.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
I just got a very well cared for pair of MS-Pro from a fellow Headfier. What a nice pair of cans! Beautiful to look at and exactly what I was looking for in headphones.

Needless to say I am very pleased.

I upgraded from a pair of MS2i (which now belong to Ken_Loo) and could not be happier. The MS-Pro have a similar sound signature, only much more so. Eric Clapton has never sounded so good!

Now all I need is to audition a pair of John Grado cans! (hint hint GoRedWings and Ken_Loo)

Cheers,

Squeek

jon is present grado, joe is of the old grado.

You mean joe grado cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back