MS-2 (MS-2i) appreciation thread
Jul 15, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #181 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really??? I could have sworn that I got one with my MS2s and there's no way I would have paid extra for one. Maybe it's changed in the past 6 months.

Hmmmm...

Can anyone who recieved one new recently clarify this for me? I just bought one, so I'd like to know soon in case I have to cancel the order.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #182 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really??? I could have sworn that I got one with my MS2s and there's no way I would have paid extra for one. Maybe it's changed in the past 6 months.

Phooie; I didn't get one with my MS2i.
mad.gif

I got the 1/8" to 1/4" with my MS-1 of course, but no 1/4" to 1/8" with the MS2i.

I really should get one though. Since the bowls have settled in over the last ten months, they've become stable enough, and I've gotten used to the weight enough that I may just want to wear them out portably in nice weather just for fun! I wandered around the house for quite a while a couple weeks ago since someone happened to mention MS2i as portable, and was surprised to find that they weren't as bad as I thought they were last September!

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #183 of 512
1/4'' or 1/8'' isn't to be regarded as unalterable. My MS2 having 1/4'' originally runs on a HQ Neutrik 1/8'' meanwhile, and I equipped my on-the-walk Cmoy with an additional 1/4'' plug (you never know). Quite strange how many folks get frightened when it goes to trivial 10 seconds soldering activities. And I am a guy with temporary tremor problems!

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #184 of 512
My MS-2 finally arrived, and while the wait was a little tedious they sound very good. I did have a question for other owners- my cable around the Y connector almost looks like someone was chewing on it. Is that normal? Its not loose or real bad but certainly an imperfection. Common with Grados/ Alessandros?

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #185 of 512
I've seen photos of the way the cables are stored awaiting assembly into the phone assemblies, and the way the phones are packed for shipping, and I suspect it may contribute to the way the cables look when finally delivered. Both my MS-1 and MS2i arrived with the kinks at the "Y" block, so it appears that this is a normal circumstance. I haven't heard of anybody having an electrical problem with them though. It appears to be just a cosmetic issue. And over time the kinks do just seem to dissipate. Mine are still there, but are hardly noticeable anymore.

If there's any hint of an electrical problem, I'd be tempted to send them back.

I haven't done a search; but I'll bet this problem goes way back and is just another part of Grado lore!

Kinky!
icon10.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #188 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its actually made me think about recabling them, as I have always wanted to do this with a high end phone. Has anyone done this with the MS-2? Who does it?

Oooh! Those quick-disconnects can come in handy when you inadvertently stand up with your foot on the cable!

...yeah; done that.
frown.gif
Thankfully it was while wearing my HD600!
600smile.gif

Anyway; Larry at Headphile reportedly does some excellent work and has a nice selection of replacement cables for Grados!

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #189 of 512
I had Larry do my MS-2 woody and recable, and the results were beyond my expectations, both sonically and aesthetically. I personally prefer the results to both the RS-1 and the GS1000, as wonderful as both those cans are, but that's just my opinion.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #190 of 512
How does it work with Larry? Do you place the order for the recabling and then send them into him? I assume this process take a little while. I think right now I just want to recable as I like the metal grills. Thanks...

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #191 of 512
Its a shame that Grado has gone downhill over the years in terms of quality control. Seeing the photos of how the headphones were kept made me quiver, their storage is causing alot of the cable issues.

My MS2i (bought when they just came out) is perfect except form some loose threads on the stiching towards the end of the leather headband.

I so want a mspro but sadly cannot trust a new pair to be perfect at this time. It has to be, shipping things back and forth across the pond would cause me so much headache.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #192 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheba63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm...

Can anyone who recieved one new recently clarify this for me? I just bought one, so I'd like to know soon in case I have to cancel the order.

I was misremembering. I looked more closely at the 1/4" --> 1/8" adapter that I thought came stock, but it is in fact aftermarket. Sorry for the confusion!

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #193 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a shame that Grado has gone downhill over the years in terms of quality control. Seeing the photos of how the headphones were kept made me quiver, their storage is causing alot of the cable issues.

My MS2i (bought when they just came out) is perfect except form some loose threads on the stiching towards the end of the leather headband.

I so want a mspro but sadly cannot trust a new pair to be perfect at this time. It has to be, shipping things back and forth across the pond would cause me so much headache.

Yes; it does appear that quality can be spotty at times. For what it's worth though, the newer MS2i that I received last September was one of the "perfect" variety also. Not everyone can say that, unfortunately.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #194 of 512
I can't believe this.
The left cup of my MS-2 dropped off as I was holding it up. Thank god it only dropped a short distance and landed on my chair. Had to use epoxy to glue the cup back to the pin.

So much for Grado's QC...
mad.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #195 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it work with Larry? Do you place the order for the recabling and then send them into him? I assume this process take a little while. I think right now I just want to recable as I like the metal grills. Thanks...

Has anyone had any experience doing this procedure before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back